“Must stop for Browns fans”

Street Meet the American Tavern
Ranked #83 of 369 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Street Meet The American Tavern is designed like a 1930 bar out of Youngstown Ohio. Serving Sidewalk sandwiches from America's Favorite Street Corners. Homemade soups, sandwiches, salads, wraps, dinners, desserts & more. Full Bar -Pet Friendly Patio. Family Friendly service with indoor and outdoor seating available. Open 7 days a week 11:30- til 1am, and 12 til 1am on Sat & Sunday. Official Brown's Backers Bar of Hilton Head Island.
Akron, Ohio
“Must stop for Browns fans”
Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Always looking for good atmosphere and food when away and we found it! Great sports layout with Cleveland Browns wall hangings. Service was great and we had very little wait. Crab pretzel for an appetizer is a must along with the weddings soup. One of the best gyros I have had. For desert, key lime pie is awesome.

1 Thank Tom M

Chicago, Illinois
“Great Happy Hour prices”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We arrived around 5:00 on a Friday night with a party of 4. Our kids would have preferred to sit inside, but they didn't have any inside tables available, but there were plenty outside. The restaurant inside is actually very small. We sat down and were promplty greeted by our server. Between 4 and 7, drinks are half price, so a bucket of Miller Lite is $7.50. Can't beat that, that's for sure! They also have select appetizers, which are small in size, basically serve one, for $0.50. Each of our kids ordered a chips and cheese nachos. My husband and I were going to share an order of bottle caps, which are sliced jalepenos, dusted in cornmeal and then fried. We weren't sure if one order was enough. Our waitress offered to start us with one and then put in another order if we wanted later, but we decided we could spare the $0.50 and went with two right off the bat. The bottle caps were really good, but could have used some kind of a dipping sauce.

Then we proceeded to order our dinners. My son got the gyros, which is not done on a spit. We like our gyro meat well done and crispy, and they did a good job of it. The gyro did come with lettuce on it, which we've never seen before, but my son still enjoyed it. My daughter got a hot dog, which is served on a thick piece of white bread buttered and grilled instead of a bun. She loved it and finished the entire thing. My husband had the Philly cheesesteak, which he said was very good, and I had the fish n' chips, which was two huge fillets, well battered and fried a dark golden brown. It was delicious. Since it was before 6:00 when we ordered, my dinner came with a complimentary cup of soup or salad. The soup of the day was beer cheese, so even though it was about 90 degrees out, I ordered the soup. It was very tasty; however, I could have done without the cut up hotdog pieces. My dinner also came with a creamy coleslaw that complemented my fish n' chips perfectly. All our orders came with fries, which are the coated fries. Based on the theme of this restaurant, I was a bit disappointed in the fries. I was expecting handcut, homemade fries.

And lastly, we had to try the deep-fried Oreos. Since it was still Happy Hour when we got our order in they too were just $0.50. We decided to order two for our table just to try them as we were all extremely full already. Boy, was I sorry I didn't order my own, and I don't even like Oreos especially. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever had for a dessert. The Oreo is battered in a beignet-type dough and dusted with powered sugar and served with an amazing whipped topping, not really a whipped cream, maybe a whipped cream with marscapone whipped in. Whatever it was, it was delicious!

The service was very good. The appetizers took a little longer than we would have liked, but probably just because we were starving after not having eaten much all day. But the rest of our order came out in exactly the right amount of time.

The only thing that could have been better is if they could have gotten rid of the nasty fly that hung around our table for most of our meal.

• Visited July 2012
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Not so good”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My waitress wasent very nice. She would be away from my table for like 30 mintues just so she could get a good smoke. And we needed our food and refills.

Visited July 2012
Fountain Valley, California
“Street Meet - Great food, friendly people”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Have been there 5 times over the last year, and every time was great. Classic American city and ethnic favorites. You will be glad you stopped.

• Visited June 2012
Everywhere
“Not impressed”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Service was terrible. It wasn't they they didn't care but they seemed disorganized and ineffecient. The burger was average and the pulled pork nachos would have been great except the nachos were terrible. I would rather give it a 2.5 but will go with a three.

• Visited June 2012
, Owner at Street Meet the American Tavern, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
We're sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at our restaurant. We had an evening function on our patio that night and we unfortunately did not meet our normal expectations. We pride ourselves on our great food quality and service and any bad experience is inexcusable no matter what is going on that evening. If you give us the opportunity, we would like to make it up to you on your next visit. Thank you.