We stayed a week at Seaside Villas for the first time over Memorial Day. This complex is right on the beach and the pool and grounds are sparkling clean and well landscaped. The proximity to restaurants, markets and shops can't be beat and it's right down the street from SeaPine's back entrance. We've been coming to the Island for nine years and have always stayed in the Marriott hotel and their timeshare properties.
The important thing to know about Seaside is that all units are individually owned. We booked through VRBO, relied on the owner's pictures on their site and requested extra pictures from the owner. Once there, we found the unit to be basicaly as depicted but not very clean. Had I performed an internet search on that particular unit number I would have discovered other helpful posts about that particular unit and the user's experience with the owners.
Here are some helpful tips:
1. Ask for extra pictures of the unit from the owner. Make sure that the bathroom has been renovated as this is an older property. There is nothing worse that an old, scummy bathroom.
2. Rent a unit that is managed by a local company. Our unit was clearly a "you clean it yourself" situation; however, the owners had represented it as if they used a cleaning service and had charged a cleaning fee. There was no local contact.
3. Bring your own sheets, towels, and cleaning supplies if you have high standards of cleanliness. We brought our own and ended up using them as the owners' sheets and towels were not up to par.
4. Approach another vacationer and ask if you could take a peek inside of their unit. Note the bathroom (renovated or not, quality of bedding and furniture. Inquire about their experience with the owners. Make note of that particular unit number for future visits.
5. Be wary if the price is too affordable and the unit picture appear too generic. You get what you pay for and you don't want to be staying in a flop house.
6. Rent units that have positive comments listed. Make note if there are comments from repeat customers. There were no comments listed for our unit which was telling.
7. Do an internet search of the actual unit number and the owner's name. We found very helpful comments about our actual unit from other sites after the fact.
I hope that this post is useful. We are going back to Seaside for Labor Day. You simply can't beat the price for the location!!
- Also Known As:
- Seaside Villas Hotel Hilton Head