“Unique on the Beach”

Ranked #90 of 378 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At The Porch, we are focused on providing wholesome, comfort food and authentic service in a friendly and cozy atmosphere. Our philosophy is simple and honest; Good food, good drinks and good company... Simple, Rustic and Charmingly Southern the Porch serves Breakfast, Lunch and Supper. Our Brunch on Saturdays and Sundays features bottomless Bloody Mary and Georgia Peach Bellini options for the adult crowd.
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Stayed a weekend at the Beach House in early April. Visited "The Porch" for dinner. Had excellent cocktails at the bar before being seated. The view of the pool and fire pit were awesome. We ordered corn fritters and chicken wings for appetizers. Both were served promptly and we're very tasty. The wings were crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Ordered "Rosemary's Meatloaf and a small fillet for dinner. The chili sauce gave the meatloaf just the right sweetness. The fillet was very tender and cooked to just the right temperature.
On our next trip to Hilton Head we definitely visit the porch again

Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at The Porch Southern Kitchen and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Your fantastic review has made our day, thank you! We’re very happy that you loved our food, atmosphere and ocean views! We can’t wait to see you again when you next visit Hilton Head.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

The decor is clean and beach style but not cheesy. I went on a Tuesday and took advantage of their locally made $3 IPA pint special. Halfway through the night I switched to one of their signature cocktails The Southern Smash because I saw crushed ice and they were great. Any place with crushed ice I'll order a drink from. I had the chicken and waffles. The chicken was very crispy and the waffles were infused with maple syrup. The mac and cheese bites were great and the wedge salad was well executed with thick pieces of bacon and bleu cheese. I wanted to eat a little light so I had the shrimp and grits and it was a perfect portion. I was staying the night by myself so I stayed and had more cocktails. Tip- if you go you can request music from their record collection.

Eduardo,
Thank you for the awesome review! It sounds like you truly enjoyed yourself, and that makes us very happy! We are thrilled that you found the drinks delicious and the food tasty! We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

.....Is it just me or am I going crazy? We stayed at The Beach House for the weekend and Decided to give The Porch a try. I'll start by saying this, it was a bit odd to us. First of all, our menus were printed on like some sort of cardboard paper complete with oil and food stains on it. Gross!! Now for the fun part, as our waiter John was assisting us with our order, we could hear two other female servers (presumably) getting into it. Our waiter said ignore them, they are new, which made us have a good laugh. John proceeded to explain the menu to us, which quite frankly was a bit goofy for lack of a better word. Half portion and full portion? What the hell! Just give me a nice meal. Not everything has to be halves and wholes. It just confuses people. And from what I saw at other tables, we were too scared to get the half portions of the fish or the meatloaf (which we eventually had...The full portion) because the smalls were just too darn "Kiddy Portions"!!! I mean really, how much does meatloaf cost to make? Pennies!! We will say this, the food was very tasty. It was just the sticker shock and 5 year Olds portions that left us with a not understanding feeling about what The Porch was trying to accomplish. Although John and another server, Mike took our minds off of the kooky menu and apparent in - fighting that was going on around us, I doubt that we will dine there again. Too expensive for what you get, or better yet, what you don't get. Oh yeah, the view looking at the Atlantic Ocean was nice and also the fire pit made us all warm and cozy. I guess two out of three ain't bad. Wait, isn't that the name of a song from the 70's?

John,
We’re glad that you enjoyed our location, atmosphere and that your server, John, took great care of you. We are very sorry that you felt the portion sizes were small and the menu confusing. We also sincerely apologize for the unpleasant conversation you overheard from two of our servers. We are striving to always improve, and your comments help us know what we need to focus on, thank you. We hope to see you again in the future; we are confident that we can win you over.

Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

This is at The Beach House Holiday Inn Resort, which the website says "kids eat free". We'll guess what, they don't. Server told us in about a month this will no longer be affiliated with Holiday Inn. But for now they are and should honor the kids eat free program. We went for lunch- overpriced-$70!! My daughters grilled chicken was about 1". I had the wedge salad. Not a wedge at all!! 2 small chunks about the size of golf balls. Service was SLOW.... About 75 mins for lunch and it wasn't busy!!

Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at The Porch Southern Kitchen and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

We're very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your dining experience at our restaurant. Yes, we are no longer a part of the Holiday Inn line of hotels. This change took place prior to your arrival; we apologize for any confusion. We've searched our website and were unable to locate the "kids eat free" information you mentioned. We'd be happy to look further into this if you'd like to give us a little more information on where it was found. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Very cool spot. Great atmosphere. Good food. Painful service....unless Starr with two Rs is taking care of you. So for a full dining experience ask for her! I always prefer dining at the bar but rethinking my seat choice here. Have to start a tab trying to eat dinner which is a stretch. Salads are great and entrees as well, but recommend staying away from the bites. Need some work but hope this place comes around and will be a great seasonal spot. See Starrs!!

Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at The Porch Southern Kitchen and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thank you for your praise of Starr. We will be sure to pass along your kind words to her; we know it will make her smile! We are very sorry you were not offered exemplary service from all our staff and that our bites failed to impress. We have now made some great changes, and we hope to wow you with these improvements when you next visit.