“Tourists not welcome”

Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 367 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Michael Anthony’s Cucina Italiana offers traditional regional Italian cuisine combining innovative presentations and style. The award winning culinary team presents a menu using the freshest ingredients for an unforgettable culinary experience featuring homemade gnocchi, succulent veal,daily selections of fresh fish and house-made desserts. Acknowledged by food and wine enthusiasts and critics alike, the restaurant presents a fine-dining experience combining an award-winning wine list, exquisite food, attentive service and the personal touch of a family-owned restaurant serving the Lowcountry since 2002. In addition, Michael Anthony’s operates a Cooking School conducting weekly hands-on and demonstration style cooking classes and a specialty Italian market. Please visit our website or call for information for our class schedule or dining reservations.
Atlanta
“Tourists not welcome”
Reviewed July 9, 2008

With a reservation, we were made to wait unnecessarily b/c no one left the restaurant before we were seated. We watched two couples greeted as regulars and whisked away immediately upstairs with white table cloths. We however, were seated later in a section without table cloths. When we asked why certain sections of the restaurant had white table cloths, our server replied, "I've never been asked that before?". The food was average for the price. Our server did accomodate us by creating a cheese tray off the menu, and made up for a dish we were unhappy with by offering a wine by the glass not on the menu either. There just seemed to be an air or loftiness towards tourists versus the local regulars. We did not find this at any other restaurants of similar caliber on Hilton Head.

5 Thank Cgg2nd

Florida
“Previous reviews are SPOT ON!”
Reviewed June 26, 2008

The food, service and wine were incredible. The staff was very knowledgeable about pairing up the wine with food, and they were not trying to sell the higher price wines which was refreshing.

The veal chop was supberb, and on this occaision there was veal ravioli as a special that would bring me back to this location all by itself.

Newton, North Carolina
“Great food... service needs work.”
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We went to Michael Anthony's on the strength of the reviews in Trip Advisor. We were celebrating my wife's birthday.

The food did not disappoint, with an excellent antipasto appetizer. I had the veal scallopini, and my wife had a vegetarian pasta (sorry, forgot that part). Both of the meals were outstanding quality and really delicious. I asked for pasta instead of potatoes, and they willingly accomodated that. The marinara sauce on the pasta was excellent as well. We didn't spend an outrageous sum on the wine (we could have!), but even the relatively low cost California wine was excellent.

Where we were disappointed was in the service. We had an 8:30 reservation, and our table was ready when we arrived about 10 minutes early. We were seated at a table for two in a high traffic area (between the main dining area an the bathrooms, kitchen and bar). There were several empty booths that had I realized they weren't reserved, I would have asked for. I don't know why they felt they had to put us in that location! I even told them in my reservation we were celebrating my wife's birthday and they acknowledged that (but still gave us a poor table).

The waiter was nice enough, and was fairly attentive. However, the whole meal felt rushed. We got our menus, and as soon as the bottle of wine was delivered and the first glass poured, we were asked for our selections. The moment we finished the appetizer, our main courses came out. We were still working on our first glass of wine! My wife noted as we were almost finished our meal that we had been in the restaurant for less than an hour!

To add to the overall rushed feeling, as we came close to the end of the meal, our waiter started "hovering"... i.e. walking past the table every couple of minutes to see if our plates were empty yet.

When we did finish, we were immediately asked if we wanted dessert. I said we wanted to finish our wine, but a minute later he asked if we wanted the wine corked so we could take it with us. (No.) While we were finishing our wine (this is now only 9:45 pm... 1 hour 15 minutes after our reservation), the wait staff started clearing the tables around us.

If this is fine dining (and the prices certainly indicate that it is), then this was disappointing from the service perspective. The food.... outstanding.

5 Thank Oscar_Retriever
Atlanta
“I demanded alot and they delivered”
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I booked a Friday night dinner (March 14) a couple of weeks in advance for a very special event. In the days leading up to the dinner, I called several times to make sure my special plans were to be carried out exactly as I wanted. I was assured they were. On the night of the event, I am pleased to report that all went flawlessly - our waiter Derek was SO attentive and had obviously been informed I was going to be a tough customer. He knew to direct all his questions and suggestions to me and even though it was a busy Friday night, his service was as if we were the only table he had. He was great! I loved the food and his Chardonnay suggestion was right on the mark. I wanted to impress my guests and Derek helped me do just that. Thanks to Derek and the staff for a memorable evening!

South Carolina
“Wonderful Dining Experience”
Reviewed March 9, 2008

We had our Holiday gathering at Michael Anthony's. It was apparent from the first course how talented the chef and owner truly is. Wines were paired with each course. The courses were simply but elegant. The service was impeccable. And that "Chocolate Soufflé Cake" was amazing.

1 Thank jk9195