“great place”

Coral Sands Resort
Toronto
“great place”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We visited the resort during the July 4th week. Although the island was crowded, the actual resort was not. We were located at the new resort section.

Pros: great pool with lazy river, cozy feel, good location if you want to be close to shops, restaurants., friendly staff - mainly interacted with the young people who worked with my kids on all the activities, great rooms, not crowded

Cons: if you are staying on the 2nd or 3rd floors you will have to walk around the building to get to the pool area. This is a bit awkward, especially if you are on the back end side, can get loud since you are right on Pope avenue, 15 minute walk to beach

Overall this place was good for us

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank Radek99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Virginia
Reviewed August 25, 2011

When I read the reviews prior to going to Coral Sands I was a little nervous. Honestly, I'm not sure where the negative reviews came from. We are very picky when it comes to vacations and where we stay. We LOVED it at Coral Sands! Our room was spacious and decorated for nice! Our Check in went wonderfully as did everything associated with Coral Sands. We sat through the 1 hour meeting and the gentleman that was speaking with us about the timeshare was not rude or pushy. He kept it to right at one hour, gave us our gifts and we left. No problems at all! The pool was right behind our unit - it was not loud or disruptive to our stay. We actually loved being in the unit we were in! Just a block & a half away was the clubhouse and larger pool w/the lazy river. Our kids lived in the lazy river!!! It was great. We have a 6 yr old, 8 yr old and 16 yr old and they all loved it! The tiki bar had wonderful food - chicken sandwich was delicious & our kids loved the hot dogs! The resort also did a cookout one afternoon for lunch and a breakfast one morning (that one was catered). Both were wonderful and a nice unexpected treat! Our children took advantage of quite a few of the activites that were on the calendar and now we have some great keepsakes for them! Hilton Head was beautiful - it was our first time there! And Coral Sands was in a great location - walking distance to grocery store, restuarants, putt putt and the beach - it was great!!! We plan to vacation at Hilton Head again and would not hesitate to stay at Coral Sands again and that is our plan!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank T W
huntersville
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed for the week with 6 teenage boys and loved it. The location was perfect. Beach access at Coligny Park was just two blocks away - easily walkable but we rode our bikes. The resort offers great weekly rates on bike rentals, much better than the rates other travelers have to pay ($18 per bike per week. We reserved the bikes before arriving. They were locked at the bike rack at our unit when we arrived!) Coligny Beach can be crowded so we just went to a nearby access most days to avoid the crowds. There are lots of shops nearby. Bi Lo grocery store is within walking distance, just in front of the complex along Pope Avenue. When I had read that Coral Sands was close to a grocery store, I had pictured looking out my window and seeing the back or side of an ugly grocery store but that was NOT the case! As they say in Hilton Head, "it was hidden behind trees and the shrubbery" (and a fence). The pool area was very nice and the resort now supplies some beach towels in each unit which was very nice. The resort has a busy activity calendar with a wide variety of activities for young, teens and older people. ( I took advantage of water aerobics.) Other activities included a free hot dog cookout, an all you can eat ice cream party( $2), trivia contest, group bike ride, bingo, etc. About 1/2 block away was the main clubhouse (also where you check in) and brand new pool with splash pool and lazy river which we used on a daily basis. Our unit was nicely decorated and the kitchen was well stocked with the basics needed to cook (we ate all but one meal at our condo.) I really liked having an upstairs unit because the stairwell provided a great space for chairs and umbrellas, etc. that we would have had to keep inside if in a downstairs unit. There are two very nice gas grills right beside the pool area that we made use of several times. This was a very nice place to stay and in a great location, especially if you have teens wanting to be close to activities! I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank lovetotravel0260
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I always evaluate a place based on if I would feel comfortable having my whole family there. Unfortunately, I would not recommend this place. It is not so much the place as it is the staff. They treat you like a "system" and not a valued friend or customer. Too bad but we will NOT be coming back here guaranteed!

Room Tip: go somewhere else. How's that for a tip?
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank ScottClarity
Tiffin, Ohio
Reviewed May 14, 2011

This was our second visit to the island but first to Coral Sands. Check-in was quick and easy, ladies at the front desk were very friendly. We stayed in a 3 bedroom overlooking the pool in building A. I was surprised the decor was as nice as it was because of other reviews, but actually it was very nice. The only thing I didn't care for was the master bedroom being in a weird place with no windows, Bathrooms were nice and everything was very clean. We had a few glitches: screen door fell off onto my husbands head, shower curtain fell off onto my daughters head (the pole is too short and is being held up with a bar of soap) and the lamp in the master almost caught fire. Maintenance immediately fixed our issues so it was nice to not have to wait around for them to show up. The new pool opened the week we were there and it is awesome! Unfortunately we discovered that late in the week and are sad we couldn't enjoy it more. Be sure to go check that out. Our unit did not come with bicycles and we had to rent 4 of them instead of just 2, that was a bit of a disappointment, as most of the resorts already have 2.
I STRONGLY discourage anyone from doing any business from "Resorts Anytime" We were suckered into this last year and know first hand what a rip off it is. I cant say anything about the Coral Sands pitch however, since we already own somewhere else with RCI. Overall, we really liked Coral Sands and would return to stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Lyt45
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We stayed in an upstairs 3br unit overlooking the pool. There were 4 of us and no children. I especially liked the large private balcony. The master bathroom is very large with a jacucci tub and separate shower. The commode sits in its own separate room, kind of like sitting in a closet. I found that a bit different but ok. The furnishing wer very nice and clean. They are building a new pool on the other end of the property which should be ready for 2011 season. I would not classify this as a "Resort" the amenities are just nothing more than most apartments offer. It is a short 10-15 minute walk to the beach, and there is a shoping center next door to the property. This is a very cozy little apartment style community with nice landscaping and medium size pool with a nice hot tub. I found it very quiet and relaxing after a day of shopping or at the beach. It's very clean and comfortable. I would also recomend Casey's Sports Bar near the circle. They have excellent food and reasonable prices. "OMG - Get the Onion Rings".

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
8 Thank wolfpak117
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Just got back from a very nice stay at this resort with some friends of mine and I must say, overall it was a pretty nice 3 bedroom/2 bath condo.....

However...the decor? VERY 80's indeed (think Golden Girls) ! They definitely need to make the necessary upgrades with the furnishings, painting, wall paper, etc. But since we were there for a few days, we all got a good laugh and then settled in for the next 5 days.

The kitchen, appliances, amenities and additional items left for our use were immaculate. Kudos to the cleaning staff.

One other thing to mention: the door to the condo had an unusually large gap at the bottom which had we not put a blanket underneat that door, we would have surely had many a palmetto (water) bug and friendly lizard stopping by for a visit, since there were several of them in the area-but not that many to scare you off.

Now that the other poster mentioned it, the master bedroom was positioned kind of awkwardly with a sliding pocket door on one end and a room door on the other- with no light whatsoever. Didnt notice anything odd until I read the other reviewers comments. My friend staying in that room said that she could not tell what time of day it was because it was so dark. Luckily, I was positioned in the back bedroom and was able to take advantage of the lighting that came thru the room. The other guests had the front bedroom off of the kitchen,which also had a pull out sofa and a window for great lighting.

The pool- very small for such a large complex. This too, will need to be upgraded at some point to accommodate those not wanting to hit the beach, which was close by as well. Nice and decent - no complaints about the beach!

I really wanted to take advantage of the bikes for rental while I was there, but honestly, was glad to jump in my car and go where I needed to when necessary.

In summary, if you are looking for a get-a-way for a few days and are not really to picky about where you stay, the decor or amenities, I would recommend this place. But until they make some desparately needed decorating changes and "fine tune" it, you won't be able to stop yourself from singing the them song from the Golden Girls"... thank you for being a FRIEEEND"...!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends