“Not a great experience for what you pay !”

Marriott's SurfWatch
Reviewed May 27, 2008

The marriott surf watch looks good on paper but fails to deliver. There are no restaurants on the property and nothing within walking distance. Checking in and out was a nightmare. Be prepared to carry all your luggage because there is rarely a cart available. The first few days we were there they had advertised of a raffle and breakfast. We went down the morning of the breakfast and there was nothing left. No coffee. I was lucky to get one tiny muffin. Then to add insult to injury the staff used the breakfast as a front for a sales pitch for time shares. The beach was quite a walk. We had a 6 month old so we did not want to use the golf carts they had escorting people around. I was really turned off at the fact that these golf carts were whizzing past you one after another on the pedestrian bridges. My baby really enjoyed the exhaust fumes everytime they sped by. Thanks Marriott.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank leo1976

Reviewed May 23, 2008

We own a Platinum week (summer) at Surf Watch and other family members own a Gold week (spring/fall). We have been fortunate enough to stay at the resort several times and will keep coming back. We love the location, cleanliness, the friendly staff, the ability to just relax or take part in the many activities and trips offered by Marriott for both kids and adults. All pools are heated, the board walk to the beach is a nice walk or you can hop a shuttle cart ride which are constantly running (or can be called). Clean, comfortable, rooms with all of the amenities of home (and more). Great WiFi in the rooms and throughout the property. Having young children, we avoid eating out every night and instead will utilize the gas grills and great kitchen to prepare several meals during our stay. The location is close to shopping, grocery stores, mini-golf, golf and of course the loads of excellent restaurants on the island. I have to mention the awesome shower in the master bedroom which has multiple heads and plenty of room. It also makes it easy to spray down your little ones after a long day at the beach!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank williaj3
Reviewed May 6, 2008

We stayed at the Marriott Surfwatch for a week and had a great time. The rooms were very nice and big. The kitchens were also very nice and allowed us to cook in some nights instead of eating out.
One negative was that we stayed in the building furthest from the beach and main pool. It was a nice little walk to get there. It was not a very big deal to me to walk, but might be for others. Golf carts are available as well.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Overall, this was a great hotel and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank texas14
Reviewed March 29, 2008

I'm a Marriott owner in Aruba and chose to exchange to the Surf Watch in Hilton Head. It's a newly opened resort; we had just taken a trip to Mexico for thanksgiving, so going to Aruba was out; we decided Hilton Head wasn't too far and we chose to drive rather than fly. It was about 17 hours each way but we broke up the trip in Delaware one way and VA the other. It's nice to have friends & relatives on the way!!

We'd never been to HH because we don't golf, but we're glad we did go--it's beautiful there even if it was off-season. We were there for New Year's Dec. 29 07 to Jan 5 08, which, in timeshare world, the least wanted time at that resort. Heyy, for a Massachusetts native, it was a heck of a lot warmer than being at home!!

I was very impressed with the resort and unit. Hilton Head itself if beautiful-- they must have a strict bldg code -- all the businesses, markets, malls are same height and beige and set back from the roads. No trash/litter anywhere and the landscape is always groomed and well maintained. At Surf Watch, I was able to exchange into a 3 bdrm unit (I own a 2 bdrm.) We had 8 people in the unit (it slept 12.) We were in an end unit, 3rd floor, near the pool. There were 2 Queen beds in each of the 2 bedrooms and it's own connecting bathroom and 1 king bed in the master suite with a huge tiled, glass shower area. My only beef -- there's no privacy door to shower area (in master) so if anyone opens the bedroom door and you are in the shower.... you are in full view. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I would prefer a bit of privacy while showering.

The boardwalk to the beach is great, it's built above the marsh and meanders down to the shore, about 1/4 mile? Along the way there's info on the species that live in the marsh areas, a couple of wooden benches and umbrellas for shade (during summer heat.) At the end and right at edge of beach there's a year round heated pool which we swam in, lots of areas to sunbathe and a seasonal restaurant/bar. It was all boarded up but I bet it's hopping when open. Some think the resort is too far from beach but I enjoyed it. Although I imagine in the heat of the summer it would seem very far. But you can ride a (rented) bike or hop the resort's golf cart shuttle if you don't want to walk. I live in Gloucester, MA also a beach community so not being right on the beach wasn't a big deal for me. I see the ocean all the time.

The beach itself is wide and long. Not many shells but more prettier than we see in Mass. Lots of people riding bikes (my daughter and boyfriend rented a tandem at the resort which was fun) One of the warmer days we walked about a mile up the beach (to the left of resort) and had a picnic. A couple beachfront residents had small decorated xmas trees in the dunes --clever.

We swam in the outdoor heated pool just outside our building a few times. After New Year's Day the air got a bit chillier even for my New England blood. We never used the indoor pool. And the health /fitness club was still being built -- I wouldn't have used it anyway. As far as resort activities....they had them but we did our own thing as we don't have small children.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Jill W
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Surfwatch is the best resort for families! We have a 6 and a 10 year old and our kids loved it. The resort had so many activities for the kids. My daughter loved the dressup tea party and all the crafts they had set up. I had a great time meeting all the families that were around the pool. Ocean pool and bar was awesome! I highly recommend this resort for families or anyone really! Everyone was so nice and helpful. The boardwalk out to the ocean is so Carolina. Love it!

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank abbyhunter
Reviewed February 20, 2008

Just returned from our second visit to this property. My parents own in Floriday and this is the second year that she exchanged to Surf Watch. Our family of 10 (6 adults, 4 kids) comfortably enjoyed a 3 bedroom/3 bath unit. We took advantage of the large kitchen to prepare meals to avoid taking such a large party to a restaurant. We love the modern furnishings and have been fortunate to stay in buildings that were in close proximity to the beach both years. We enjoy looking out over the marsh as we utilize the boardwalk to get to the beach.

We have had pool views both years but because of our February visits opted to just admire the view. This year the weather was actually in the low 70s so several people did take the plung in the pool and at the beach.

We don't stay the whole week like my parents do so I can't speak to the activities. I did view the schedule and there are several planned activities for children, adults and families. Most have a small fee assoiciated with them. The fitness center is not open but you can get a pass to use a facility at one of the other Marriott properties on the island.

As with a number of timeshares there is a charge for maid servie and if you want fresh towels there is $13 charge for a 3B. Luckily we brought detergent with us and were able to use the small capacity (but up to date) washer and dryer that was in the unit.

Only downside is that this place isn't available to us on a trade during the summer. I'm sure we'll be heading back next year if it is available.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2007

We spent a week at the Marriott Surf Watch last month and absolutely fell in love with the property. We are from the West and this was our first time staying on Hilton Head. Our 3 bedroom unit was new and nicely decorated.

The grounds at the Surf Watch are amazing. The hotel itself is set back from the ocean with a protected wet lands area that you cross to access the beach and beach pool/bar area. We were very impressed with the layout and loved our little walk on the board walk where we daily saw many different species of birds and butterflies. All around the property are signs that point out and explain the different birds, plants, ocean currents and other interesting property facts.

Our favorite place, when we weren't golfing or traveling to Charleston and Savannah, was the beach front pool and bar. What a lovely set up. We took long walks on the beach and had great drinks at the bar. On Tuesday there was a musician who played the saxaphone and sang down at the beach pool, he was great! We loved Hilton Head and the beautiful scenery. We had wonderful food at The Old Fort Pub and also at Hudson's on the Dock. We bought groceries at the Piggly Wiggly down the street. Staying at this location I would definately recommend having a vehicle.

We would definately recommend this property to anyone. It was a great vacation.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends