“A Dream Vacation”

Marriott's SurfWatch
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We just spent a week in January at the Marriott SurfWatch Resort in Hilton Head, SC. This is the first time we have stayed at a Marriott Resort. Friends have told us that Marriott is "the BEST", and after this vacation, I must say that I agree (however Diamond Resorts run a very close second)! Everything from check-in to departure was first class. The people at the desk were so nice and check in and check out went without a hitch. We were not pressured in the least to attend a time-share presentation after we said that we were not interested. There were activities every day including a Smores cookout, chili night, and a hamburger/brat night as well as craft activities during the day.

We did rent a car, and if you want to really see the whole island this would be a necessity. We went to Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC to sight see. Both cities are easy to get to and very interesting and historical.

The accommodations were wonderful - everything was sparkling clean. The washer/dryer was the first full size laundry appliance that we have ever had in a resort. It was very nice to be able to wash a full load of clothes. There were 2 bedrooms, the first had a king bed (very comfortable) and the other had 2 queen beds. The huge walk-in shower in the master suite was outstanding. There were 3 flat screen TVs, one in each bedroom and one in the living room area. We were on the 5th floor overlooking the lagoon - every morning we had coffee on the balcony. The weather was warm and wonderful in January and flowers were blooming, grass was green, and trees were leafed out. And it was so nice to have an elevator!

The kitchen appliances were (or at least appeared to be) brand new. The kitchen has just about every small appliance you can think of except a waffle iron! But there are no condiments at all, so if you are planning to cook it would be a smart idea to bring salt and pepper at the minimum. There is a small "store" in the main office that sells basic food stuffs and toiletries - cereal, pancake mix, soup, a few seasonings, some drinks, aspirin, etc. These things are quite expensive compared to a regular grocery store but if something is forgotten you can get it here if necessary.

Wi-fi is free in each room. There are 2 computers available in the office to use for web surfing and/or to print boarding passes.The daily newspaper (USA Today) is available free every weekday morning.

All in all, this is a first-class resort and we loved it! Can hardly wait to go back to this beautiful place!

2  Thank ColoradoCouple79

Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is a great place to stay. You can't enter the grounds unless you get past the gated entrance, a feature I liked immediately. The rooms are clean, the staff is very nice and respond to any problem as quickly as possible. Access to the beach is great from all of the buildings. I would stay here again. The only problem we had is this: we were given a handicapped-accessable unit even though we didn't ask for one. In itself, that's OK, even though we're in our mid 60's, but we don't need one.

The problem with the handicapped unit where we stayed is the master bathroom shower area. You go into the master bedroom, then straight into a separate room with a shower on the left and a vanity on the right, then into the separate bathroom. From the master bedroom there is no door separating it from the room with the shower area. Also, the shower itself has no door or shower curtain. Thus, you're showering completely in the open in that area, with no privacy from the bedroom or in the shower itself. That room would be very cold and generate no heat while showering. When you go from the shower room into the room with a toilet, there is a door for privacy. We did not use the shower in the master bedroom, for the above-mentioned reasons. We used the shower in the guest bedroom. If we'd had guests staying in the other bedroom using the guest bathroom, it would have been a problem.

This arrangement would probably work out well for a couple on their honeymoon or a person in a wheelchair, but to say we disliked it is an understatement. Aside from the issue of no privacy while showering, it would be very cold in the winter because no heat could be generated in a room with no doors and a shower with no curtain or doors.

We actually wondered why they gave us this room. I used my Marriott points for the stay, so they knew my age since that had all of my credit card information. Did they just assume that because I was in my mid 60's that I would want a room like this?

If you decide to stay at SurfWatch, please let them know during reservation that you do NOT wish to be put in a handicapped-accessable room, since they might put you in one unless you state otherwise.

6  Thank gagirl909
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My college roommates and I decided to meet equa-distance from our respective cities and ended up in Hilton Head for a long weekend. We stayed at Marriott's SurfWatch and it was a great place to stay. We had a 3 bedroom villa that was extremely clean, great kitchen, lots of space. The beds and comforters are better than I have in my house! Easy stroll to the beach, lots of things to do within the resort, and we had great weather also. Everyone was exceptionally nice. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jpacella
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have stayed at Surfwatch several times and this time was even better. They have improved their indoor and outdoor activities and beautified their grounds. Unfortunately,they minimized their Market Place, but you can still get Starbucks Coffee :) A new face which greeted us this time at reception was Samantha who cheerfully greeted us and checked us into our villa at record speed. We have traveled all over the world and stayed at numerous Marriotts but agree our favorites are in Hilton Head,SC.

Room Tip: This is one of the few timeshares that offer 3 bedroom villas!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HOAGIE1020
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Myself and my husband wanted a quick getaway this week, in driving distance approximately 4 hrs from Atlanta, and settled on this resort. This was a spontaneous trip and we did no real planning, however usually choosing a Marriott property on our travels, we decided to go to SurfWatch. Because of the off season the rate was great! We stayed 1 night from January 24, 2013 - January 25, 2013. The resort was not crowded and we were able to get a room on the 3rd floor facing the ocean. We stayed in room 5314 in the Ocean Marsh building and were directly over the pool. Now I am sure in the summer months when the resort is crowded a room over the pool may not be the first option because of the noise, but that was not a factor this time of the year. However the villas are beautiful, with stainless steel appliances and granite counters. They seem to have recently been done, so everything is very new looking. The 2 bedroom 2bathroom villa is perfect for a family, and has all the amenities you would need for a longer stay if you so desired, washer/dryer unit, kitche utensils and glassware, pots/pans, dishwasher etc. The WiFi in the building was a little choppy but nothing really problematic. The shower in the master suite was great! There is no tub but as hubby and I don't take the baths the HUGE shower with bench and 5 jets was just what we wanted and needed. The room is very clean and absolutely immaculate, I didn't find not one thing wrong and I am a stickler for cleanliness when it comes to hotel rooms. I have to say this one of the best Marriott properties we've stayed at.
There is a lot to do at the resort and they have a lot of activities planned throughout the day, I can only imagine what they plan when it's nice and warm out. Although we didn't have enough time to try it all, it was good to know that all 3 pools on the property (2 outdoor/1 indoor) are heated. They had a burger night at the firepits on the night we arrived but we decided to dine out. They showed movies in their 27 seat movie theater, usually the morning movise were for the kids and the afternoon ones were for the adults. The staff is great, very friendly and helpful. I could go on and on about this resort but I will tell you this, we are already planning our next trip next month and in March with more family members. We can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: High floor, ocean facing
3  Thank fergipoo
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The staff was always accomodating and the rooms met the high expectations we have come to expect from Marriott. Even though the name is Surfwatch, most rooms at the Surfwatch are not oceanview. Ours was on the first floor with a large balcony overlooking a small lake. We could walk up 8 steps to our room and not have to wait on an elevator. It was a 5-10 minute walk (5 for me, 10 for my wife) from our room to the beach. A boardwalk crossing a salt marsh provides easy access by foot or bike. The beach was nice, but since we visited in January we used it for long walks and not swimming.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Doug R
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed January 13- 20th- and apparently we lucked out with the weather which stayed in the low 70's to upper 60's most of the time, so we were able to enjoy the outdoor pools and beach. That being said, I can't see how anyone would have a bad experience here- the staff was very friendly and customer service oriented- the facilities were clean- and there was plenty to do on the property as well as off the property.

Ours was a two bedroom villa- overlooking the main pond. We were on the 5th floor- and the only real complaint I'd have is that it didn't get very good light (see pictures). I'm sure that there are other villas in differnent locations that get better light, so if that matters to you, do your research and you'll probably have a better experience. But other than that, it was a typical Marriot Vacation Villa- had all the amenities you'd need. A few minor things that were odd were that the dining room chairs were very low for the table (which staff assured us they were aware of and were looking to replace them) and the light fixture above the dining room table was so ridiculously bright, and it wasn't a dimmer so it was a choice of either being in a CIA interrogation room or having no light. Seriously- that's how bright the light was. Speaking of light- the lighting around the property was really low, which staff told us was for environmental reasons (I guess energy conservation or something). While it was OK for me, it was difficult for my elderly parents to get around the property at night. If we'd known that ahead of time, we would've brought flashlights- seriously! Also, the building we were in had only one entrance to the main area from the ground level, so when you wanted to go to the pool you basically had to go around from the back of the building- other Marriott properties we've been on had easier acces... again, not a big deal, but at night, it did kind of feel creepy whenever you had to go out. Maybe that's just the city slicker in me but with all the woods behind the parking lot, I couldn't help but run from the elevator to the pool at night. The pools stayed open until 11pm- so that was really great- and the indoor pool was really beautiful and relaxing.

I think the biggest dissapointment was probably the fact that we were exited for the mini movie theater, but we didn't realize that 1. all the movies were 3-D and 2. all the movies were for children/ youth- the most "grown up" movie that was shown was Spiderman. They should've had at least one movie per day, like at night or something, that would be appreciated by adults.

Only other possible downer was the concierge wasn't the best- seemed to be annoyed when we weren't interested in the time-share schpeel, which was surprising because we thought we'd impressed them with the fact that we're Marriott owners ot 2 other properties- but I guess not. We got more suggestions from word of mouth...

We read reviews that cited the beach/ boardwalk was "too far." It WAS about a 10 minute walk, walking a slow to normal pace- and the walk went through the marshes, so it was actually a really nice and relaxing walk. Yes, the beach isn't right out the back door, like other Marriotts, but it definately wasn't a deterrant. We would absolutely return to this Marriott- and we would highly recommend!

Room Tip: ask for one that has good lighting- our villa was very dark, even in the bright of day
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family