“One of the nicest Marriotts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott's SurfWatch

Marriott's SurfWatch
hilton head s c
“One of the nicest Marriotts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have stayed at Surfwatch several times and this time was even better. They have improved their indoor and outdoor activities and beautified their grounds. Unfortunately,they minimized their Market Place, but you can still get Starbucks Coffee :) A new face which greeted us this time at reception was Samantha who cheerfully greeted us and checked us into our villa at record speed. We have traveled all over the world and stayed at numerous Marriotts but agree our favorites are in Hilton Head,SC.

Room Tip: This is one of the few timeshares that offer 3 bedroom villas!
2 Thank HOAGIE1020

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Hampton, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Myself and my husband wanted a quick getaway this week, in driving distance approximately 4 hrs from Atlanta, and settled on this resort. This was a spontaneous trip and we did no real planning, however usually choosing a Marriott property on our travels, we decided to go to SurfWatch. Because of the off season the rate was great! We stayed 1 night from January 24, 2013 - January 25, 2013. The resort was not crowded and we were able to get a room on the 3rd floor facing the ocean. We stayed in room 5314 in the Ocean Marsh building and were directly over the pool. Now I am sure in the summer months when the resort is crowded a room over the pool may not be the first option because of the noise, but that was not a factor this time of the year. However the villas are beautiful, with stainless steel appliances and granite counters. They seem to have recently been done, so everything is very new looking. The 2 bedroom 2bathroom villa is perfect for a family, and has all the amenities you would need for a longer stay if you so desired, washer/dryer unit, kitche utensils and glassware, pots/pans, dishwasher etc. The WiFi in the building was a little choppy but nothing really problematic. The shower in the master suite was great! There is no tub but as hubby and I don't take the baths the HUGE shower with bench and 5 jets was just what we wanted and needed. The room is very clean and absolutely immaculate, I didn't find not one thing wrong and I am a stickler for cleanliness when it comes to hotel rooms. I have to say this one of the best Marriott properties we've stayed at.
There is a lot to do at the resort and they have a lot of activities planned throughout the day, I can only imagine what they plan when it's nice and warm out. Although we didn't have enough time to try it all, it was good to know that all 3 pools on the property (2 outdoor/1 indoor) are heated. They had a burger night at the firepits on the night we arrived but we decided to dine out. They showed movies in their 27 seat movie theater, usually the morning movise were for the kids and the afternoon ones were for the adults. The staff is great, very friendly and helpful. I could go on and on about this resort but I will tell you this, we are already planning our next trip next month and in March with more family members. We can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: High floor, ocean facing
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank fergipoo
Jefferson City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

The staff was always accomodating and the rooms met the high expectations we have come to expect from Marriott. Even though the name is Surfwatch, most rooms at the Surfwatch are not oceanview. Ours was on the first floor with a large balcony overlooking a small lake. We could walk up 8 steps to our room and not have to wait on an elevator. It was a 5-10 minute walk (5 for me, 10 for my wife) from our room to the beach. A boardwalk crossing a salt marsh provides easy access by foot or bike. The beach was nice, but since we visited in January we used it for long walks and not swimming.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Doug R
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed January 13- 20th- and apparently we lucked out with the weather which stayed in the low 70's to upper 60's most of the time, so we were able to enjoy the outdoor pools and beach. That being said, I can't see how anyone would have a bad experience here- the staff was very friendly and customer service oriented- the facilities were clean- and there was plenty to do on the property as well as off the property.

Ours was a two bedroom villa- overlooking the main pond. We were on the 5th floor- and the only real complaint I'd have is that it didn't get very good light (see pictures). I'm sure that there are other villas in differnent locations that get better light, so if that matters to you, do your research and you'll probably have a better experience. But other than that, it was a typical Marriot Vacation Villa- had all the amenities you'd need. A few minor things that were odd were that the dining room chairs were very low for the table (which staff assured us they were aware of and were looking to replace them) and the light fixture above the dining room table was so ridiculously bright, and it wasn't a dimmer so it was a choice of either being in a CIA interrogation room or having no light. Seriously- that's how bright the light was. Speaking of light- the lighting around the property was really low, which staff told us was for environmental reasons (I guess energy conservation or something). While it was OK for me, it was difficult for my elderly parents to get around the property at night. If we'd known that ahead of time, we would've brought flashlights- seriously! Also, the building we were in had only one entrance to the main area from the ground level, so when you wanted to go to the pool you basically had to go around from the back of the building- other Marriott properties we've been on had easier acces... again, not a big deal, but at night, it did kind of feel creepy whenever you had to go out. Maybe that's just the city slicker in me but with all the woods behind the parking lot, I couldn't help but run from the elevator to the pool at night. The pools stayed open until 11pm- so that was really great- and the indoor pool was really beautiful and relaxing.

I think the biggest dissapointment was probably the fact that we were exited for the mini movie theater, but we didn't realize that 1. all the movies were 3-D and 2. all the movies were for children/ youth- the most "grown up" movie that was shown was Spiderman. They should've had at least one movie per day, like at night or something, that would be appreciated by adults.

Only other possible downer was the concierge wasn't the best- seemed to be annoyed when we weren't interested in the time-share schpeel, which was surprising because we thought we'd impressed them with the fact that we're Marriott owners ot 2 other properties- but I guess not. We got more suggestions from word of mouth...

We read reviews that cited the beach/ boardwalk was "too far." It WAS about a 10 minute walk, walking a slow to normal pace- and the walk went through the marshes, so it was actually a really nice and relaxing walk. Yes, the beach isn't right out the back door, like other Marriotts, but it definately wasn't a deterrant. We would absolutely return to this Marriott- and we would highly recommend!

Room Tip: ask for one that has good lighting- our villa was very dark, even in the bright of day
2 Thank k930
Corona, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

January 5th 2012, my family and I went to Marriott's Surf watch had reservations for 6 months and requested an ocean view. Spoke with front desk on several occasions and about 2 week’s, before me and my family arrived i call and spoke with the manager. I told him that I knew that January was their low season and what were my chances of getting and ocean view room. He replied good. So I thanked him. We arrived at Marriott’s surf watch and the girl at the front desk to me that there were no ocean view condo's left , we have only one building, with ocean view. # 5600 the rest are garden and lagoon. We had a 3 bedroom 3 bath. The condo was very, nice with lagoon view . My daughter's room had no view and (my granddaughter 21 months) called another person at the front desk .her name was Khadija Jabber she had read our request on the ocean view, let me see that I can do. Got the ocean view. I recommend the Marriott, and Khadija , Donna Ellison, their great. Donna helped us with our travels. Savannah, Georgia, Edisto Island. People are wonderful. Khadija and Donna, made our vacation great.

Room Tip: reseach the hotel or resort. make sure their rating is good. call them and make your request early...
1 Thank 1234angel
South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at this property in mid-December and were fortunate to have been booked in the one building that is ocean-front (really marsh front, but you can see the surf across the marsh). Our trip was a gift from a family member and I am sure that he requested that particular building. The rest of the property looked nice, and I am sure that the accommodations were comparable, but the other buildings were much further from the beach (maybe 1/4 mile or so).

Our room was lovely -- it was a large two bedroom condo in a building with 5 or more floors, and everything looked brand new. The master bedroom had a giant double shower with several shower heads, and the bed was very comfortable. The kitchen was large and furnished with plenty of glasses, mugs, and tableware, all of which seemed brand new. We had two large sliding glass doors - one in the living room and one in the master bedroom. The views were incomparable.

Our only regret was that we couldn't stay longer!

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean-front building!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hike_bike_and_like
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

It's a Marriott, so of course it's amazing ! We did not have a view of the ocean, but were on the fourth floor overlooking the pond. We left our patio doors open day and night because the weather was so nice and the added benefit of hearing the water was very relaxing. The staff was friendly. The pools were heated (indoor and outdoor). The grounds are beautiful. Our two bedroom villa was nicely decorated and very roomy. The shower in the master bedroom ... wow. We had a fantastic stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple