“Glorious Shrimp and Grits - Don't miss it!”
Review of Sunset Grille

Sunset Grille
Ranked #60 of 368 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: As Linda and her culinary team work their magic creating soups, daily specials and awesome desserts, Hugh and his well trained wait staff cater to the needs of the guest. To accompany the delicious meals offered at Sunset Grille, Hugh has put together an extensive wine list that is well rounded and well priced. If wine is not your drink of choice you can choose from a large selection of spirits or craft beers. Sunset Grille is a casual fine dining restaurant established in 1996 by Linda and Hugh Lockman. Whether you are dining at lunch, dinner or Sunday brunch you will not be disappointed. Sunset Grille has been consistently recognized as one of Hilton Head Islands best kept secrets and was voted by Garden & Gun magazine to have one of the BEST Bloody Mary's in the south. With virtually no advertising it has remained one of the most popular dining destinations on the Island. Along with the fantastic food, great beverage list and attentive service Sunset Grille offers one of the best sunset and water views on Hilton Head Island. Located at the Hilton Head Harbor Marina on the Intracoastal Waterway and overlooking Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge, it is a view not to be missed!
Annapolis, Maryland
“Glorious Shrimp and Grits - Don't miss it!”
Reviewed January 7, 2007

We were looking forward to dining in the restaurant in the RV park above the laundromat! We weren't sure what to expect, but we were pleasantly surprised. The exterior was still decorated for Christmas so although we missed the sunset, it was still very nice and festive.

Inside, there are not many tables, but they all have a window view which is nice. Our waitress started out rather cold, but she eventually warmed up.

We started with a cocktail, one of their bloody Mary specialities which was rather good with a smoky flavor. I ordered their champagne salad which was fantastic, and my husband got the tomato soup with shrimp. He thought the shrimp were over-cooked.

The entrees were the highlight though. I had the shrimp and grits. I'm not a huge fan of shrimp, but this is their specialty dish so I had to try it. I will never forget it! Wow. The shrimp were the perfect size (to me) and perfectly prepared. The grits were excellent. It was delicately topped with two sauces: sweet red pepper and homemade smoked poblano sauce. The way all these flavors melded together was unbelievable! Outstanding! I would recommend not fooling around with any other entree. The shrimp and grits are KING!

My husband had the fried whole flounder which he thoroughly enjoyed. It came with Thai chili sauce which he says didn't taste homemade.

For dessert we had the chocolate peanut butter cake which I had high hopes for since our waitress said it was homemade. It was okay, but nothing to write home about. The icing tasted like it was straight from a can of Betty Crocker.

All in all, a good dining experience.

5 Thank ljk73

Lexington, SC
“Something Nice and Different”
Reviewed November 10, 2006

I will concur with the previous reviews that this is a great place with great food and great staff. Yes, its over a laundomat, but forget about that, the dining area is very classy, pleasant and quiet. We were here in November, when the sun sets before 5:30, but in the twilight the view looks it must be terrific earlier in the year, lots of boats coming and going. If you like watch it all thru the large class windows, ask for the high table with two stools in the corner. We ate by candlelight - nice. The rest of the dining area is 4-6 seat tables.The food was just plain great and our waitress was a gem. The only reason I am not giving this an excellent, is that it was a bit pricey ($72 for two of us with dessert and we drank only water). Maybe I'm just tired of getting beat up by HH food prices all weekend. BTW, this place is well removed from the core of the HH commercial area. Definitely give the Sunset Grille a try.

2 Thank bluehen75
bld co
“Wow, fantastic”
Reviewed September 18, 2006

Sunset grille, the location can't be beat; upper level views of sunset ( !) over the marsh and intercoastal. Atmosphere is nice casual, very comfortable and unassuming. Waitstaff were attentive but not in your face pushy.
But you go here to eat, and you will eat well. The menu is creative without being silly, the portions are generous, and the seafood is fresh. Flavors are mixed to perfection, whether spicy or light, all meals were delightful. Haven't had such a tasty and satisfying dinner in 5 star places. Wished we lived there to put it on our regular list. See ya next time!

3 Thank conwaylorky
Goodrich, Michigan
“Great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed July 9, 2006

The location is a little deceiving (it is above a laundrymat in an RV park); but the food and wine were great as well as the service. My husband and I split an apetizer (smoked fish platter) and also a dinner (duck) - both were great! Very small restaraunt (must have reservations) and only sits about 45 people. View was exceptional!

2 Thank Karen M