“good basic grub”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Boston, Massachusetts
“good basic grub”
Reviewed October 23, 2009

As others have said, you don't go here for the ambience. The food is good....recommend the blackened grouper sandwich...and it's interesting to watch the chef prep food before your very eyes. He was fileting LARGE fish when we were there. If you expect to be "waited on" then this isn't the place for you. But you can show up in your flipflops and shorts and feel right at home.

Franklin, TN
“Great place - definitely a favorite!”
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Great food, and thanks for the tips on going at lunch...we arrived a little before Noon on a Monday, and just beat the crowd! The line went out the door. Definitely a local favorite for many. The food was great, especially the clams and the alligator!!

St. Louis, MO
“A gem off the beaten (to death) path!”
Reviewed October 4, 2009

WOW! We've been vacationing on Hilton Head Island for years---why did it take so long to find The Sea Shack?

I ate there with my family this past weekend for what will be (hopefully) the first of many times. Yes, you will stand in a line at dinnertime (so???), and yes, you will wait a little while to get a table (so???), but let me tell you...it was well worth the wait---and you can't beat the price. While a few folks here have referred to The Sea Shack as a dive---well...they're simply snobs, and they're forgiven that flaw.

I ordered the "Shack Attack" (grilled) which was a combination of a crab cake, oysters, shrimp, scallops and fish of the day (in this case tilapia). The sides were a delicious combination of zucchini and squash, and their cole slaw. I don't normally like slaw that does not have a creamy/vinegary sauce. Sea Shack's doesn't, but was delicious! The veggies were well-seasoned and likewish delicious. I noted that all the plates of food arrived at the table, still steaming.

My seafood selections were outstanding, but I wanted to single out the shrimp and the scallops---seasoned and grilled perfectly! I assure you that my table mates were likewise extremely pleased with their dishes.

We all look forward to our vacation on HHI next year, and to enjoying several meals at The Sea Shack!

Los Angeles, CA
“Great food, go for lunch to avoid super long lines”
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Do you want good seafood at a reasonable price? Go to Sea Shack. Yes, it's a dive, yes, there are long lines, but I have consistently enjoyed my meals there.

What can I recommend? The jerk grouper is excellent; has a great marinade which is full of flavor but not too spicy (you can always spice it up by getting it blackened). Hush puppies are awesome. The rotating sides (vegetable, starch) are also good. If you can, get the sweet potato cornbread. The okra and sun-dried tomatoes are also great.

What if you don't want to wait in line or don't like the atmosphere? Get take out. We ended up doing that during our most recent trip and it worked out just fine. Also, go for lunch - beyond the lower prices, the lines are much shorter, and of course, the earlier you go the better.

It's HHI, there are only so many places like the Sea Shack, so don't be surprised if there's a line. They're super busy, so don't expect "warm" service, but of course you're ordering from the counter so it doesn't really matter.

I can't recommend this place enough. I live in LA where excellent seafood abounds, and I wish there was a place like this that I could go to for reliable, delicious, no-frills seafood.

Sevierville, TN
“You know its good when the locals are lined up...”
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We got a recommendation from our fishing guide who grew up on the island. The food was great. My wife says she'll never eat popcorn shrimp anywhere else.