“Disappointed”

Sage Room Restaurant Bar
Ranked #9 of 364 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Disappointed”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We recently used a Living Social certificate to dine at the Sage Room. I had heard so many wonderful things about it, I was excited to finally be going. Unfortunately, my experience was truly disappointing. The potato and leek soup ($8), was literally about 5 soup spoons full- maybe an 8 ounce serving. The soup bowl was very large with a tiny well in the center to hold the soup. Hardly worth the $8. I ordered the duck special and it was raw- not rare- but raw. Had to send it back twice to have it cooked medium. My husband did enjoy his pork tenderloin entree and said it combined some very interesting flavors. I'm not sure if we will return to give it a second chance or not. It is very expensive and I do not judge their food to be of greater quality than some of the other fabulous restaurants on the island. Sorry to have to down grade this review. Oh yes, the acoustics are quite poor, as well.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Bearsfan51

Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Inventive Kitchen”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

A little hard to find and a little noisy when you do, but definitely worth the effort. The staff is very efficient and friendly, but the real attraction is the steady stream of inventive dishes, all excellently prepared with stress on local ingredients.

Visited January 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Hard to Find - But Worth It”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This restaurant is tucked behind some other businesses and took an effort to locate. Once inside, we were escorted to our "Chefs Table" seats. The Chefs Table is bar-like seating that overlooks four chefs as they work. We found the seating uncomfortable for an evening meal and were granted our request to be seated at a dining room table. Our meal consisted of potato, leak and crab soup (very good), tuna tataki (very Good), Coco Mahi (excellent) and scallops with a champagne sauce on a parmesan risotto cake (excellent). Needless to say - there were no leftovers. This is certainly one establishment we will return to and that we recommend to other travelers.

• Visited January 2013
Bluffton, SC
“New Favorite HHI Restaurant”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've lived here many years and have always heard how amazing Sage Room is...well I finally got the opportunity (thanks to a Living Social voucher) to enjoy it for myself. It's neatly tucked into the back of Heritage Plaza, so you have to be looking for it to know it's there. The food was outstanding! Apparently the Champagne Poached Scallops had been a hit earlier in the evening as they were sold out when I ordered but was re-directed to the CoCo Mahi which had such an indescribably unique flavor...I think I was happy the Scallops were not available. The Snow Pea Martini was every bit as delicious as the menu made it sound. My date had the Colorado Lamb and was equally satisfied. The only draw back is the price...my Living Social voucher basically took care of the tip hahaha. Just be prepared with the pricing. Can not believe I've waited this long to go there!

• Visited January 2013
Pisgah Forest, North Carolina
“best crab cake I ever had!!!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The food here is pricey but very good. Service good as well- it was very very busy, but our server was attentive. My appetizer was amazing (the crab cake) with big hunks of meat in buttery bread crumbs. This is a decidedly non-beachy atmosphere. One can eat at the bar. It feels more like an urban restaurant with a steak house vibe, emphasis on beef, pork, lamb rather than fish. It is almost impossible to find, in the back of a shopping center. Very good wine list.

Visited January 2013