“Went to get a tee-shirt and ate there, as well.”
Review of Salty Dog Cafe

Salty Dog Cafe
Ranked #63 of 381 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Salty Dog Cafe - Outside bar open LATE NIGHT. An island tradition since 1987 and everyone's favorite for fresh seafood, tempting beverages, live music and kid's entertainment. Picturesque dining and unforgettable fun served daily on the docks.
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My friend wanted to get one of the $10 tee-shirts (coupon from a visitors' guide) and we decided to go ahead and eat there. There was no line and we got right in. We were seated by one person, another person took our orders, then someone else delivered or food. Our server came by to tell us our food would be out shortly. I reminded her that I had ordered an appetizer, and when she went to check on the appetizer, our meal was being brought to the table. The food was tasty, but we waited about 30 minutes on our meal (and appetizer) and they weren't busy. I am rating it very good because the food was good.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,301)

Reviewed March 28, 2013

If you are in Sea Pines Plantation, there are not a lot of places to dine. This place is in the South Beach area, a small collection of shops on the water. A really nice place to sit along the dock for a drink or lunch, but don't expect to get a table without a long wait. Once seated, ;you have a fairly standard type lunch menu with assortment of sandwiches with usual sides. The pulled pork BBQ was good, and came with a topping of cole slaw on a pretzel roll. Fries were decent, but an extra $2, bringing the sandwich and fries to $16. Drinks, of course, are extra. Simple plastic tables and chairs on the dock, but a great relaxing place in the sun on a chilly afternoon. Service was friendly and attentive. Don't set your expectations too high, and you won't be disappointed with the food. It is pretty basic, but the atmosphere makes it seem much better.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

The food was good but was a bit shocked at the prices for a casual experience. I had the fishermans pasta and enjoyed it. Service was great but a long wait to get in. Nice fire pit outside on a cool evening and great water views.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I ate lunch here on a Wednesday and I think it may be a little overrated. We all love the t-shirts and know at least one person who has one (my husband included), but the food is pretty much mediocre in my opinion and overpriced. You have to pay $5 to get into Sea Pines, then you have to fight for parking at the South Beach parking lot...so just getting there is a hassle unless you have other business in the area. We waited 30 minutes for a table when there were quite a few open - not sure why they had us wait. The kids meals were typical fare (chicken nuggets were on the menu, of course) but they were expensive - all around $7 or so. I had a fish sandwich with french fries for $16.50. It was a healthy portion but still that's a lot for a sandwich at lunch....call me cheap. Anyway if you go be sure to tell someone you know who is stuck at work (but has the internet) so you can wave to them on the webcam. The atmosphere is the best part - you can't beat the view.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is a popular spot for lunch and dinner - be prepared to wait. Great food, great service and lovely location. Some very nice shops for souvenirs and Salty Dog t-shirts.