“Always the best, always well managed!”
Review of Red Fish

Red Fish
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Fish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 383 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Palmetto Bay
Description: Red Fish specializes in excellent seafood and steaks in an upscale casual dining environment. An annual recipient of Wine Spectator Magazine's Best of Award of Excellence since 2001, our Wine Retail Shop offers 1300 wines from around the world for you to choose from either to take home or enjoy with your meal (small corkage fee applies).
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Once again, my wife and I were treated to an amazing meal, well-prepared and well-served! It has become obvious to us that this restaurant is one of the finest on the Island. We are always warmly greated by the manager, Jeff, and always carefully and professional served by his staff. Since we are well traveled, and have dined in the finest of restaurants, we are most qualified in our opinion of Red Fish. Thank-you Jeff and staff for another wonderful gourmet experience! Kudos to Chef for a marvelous mix of flavors and textures. The wine was well chosen for us and complimented both the meal and the evening at large. We are always well pleased!

1  Thank DrT07
Write a ReviewReviews (1,826)

Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Lobster Mac was delicious - didn't go to the restaurant, but if that was any clue as to the rest of the menu - Visit today

Reviewed October 21, 2012

dry...ambience was very very nice. I would have preferred a hamburger at any fast food dinner. natasha617

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The scallops and sea bass were fantastic. Our server on the the other hand was below average at best (don't know his name as he never introduced himself). Scored the restaurant on food alone, would have been us 3 if I included service.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

A gorgeous Saturday afternoon drive to Hilton Head brought us to this place. Their entrance includes a nice, inviting patio with a fireplace for dining - but we opted to sit inside. The place is huge - which was our first surprise, and secondly, they have a wonderful selection of wines displayed that they sell retail. Because of it's large space - another portion, next to the retail wines is a gallery - featuring jewelry and wall art - all very tasteful!

Server was pleasant enough - but lacked the professional finesse one should be able to expect from a place of this caliber, but then we soon discovered there may be a reason for it - which I will get to later.

We started with a hot crab dip appetizer served with Cuban bread slices and tortilla chips. It was just ok.

Server suggested the Lamb sliders which my husband ordered and loved. Said he would return just to have them again.

I ordered a panini with chicken, pesto, sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese. The first half was ok - but when I picked up the second half of it, the bread which rested on the plate was completely soggy! (Like it had been sitting in a steamer - soggy!)

The sandwich had been placed on the plate, next to the coleslaw - which was delicious, but the juices from it ran all over the plate. When I was finally able to flag down our server and bring it to his attention, he said, 'oh, I think that happens allot. Can I bring you another half of sandwich?'

By this time, my husband was done eating and I opted not to have another half made, but did mention he may wish to suggest to the kitchen to serve it in a side bowl to avoid such a problem. If they take us up on this simple solution remains to be seen.

At the conclusion of our meal we began asking him questions about the place; who owned it, information about the retail wines; if they do wine dinners, if they have a wine club ... all things he should have known, but didn't.

He went to ask the manager - who we'd been observing throughout our meal. He was told by him to have me write my email on the back of his business card and someone would get in touch with me.

Now - a bit about the manager whose name is Jeff - who left us with this impression:

When my husband was browsing the wines before our food arrived, he stepped into a back room with a sign over the door that read 'Retail Wines.' But discovered it was more an office area and there sat Jeff - playing a game of cards on the computer, and never said a word to him.

When he did emerge from the office - he was oblivious to any customers in his place, other than a woman who he obviously knew, who came in and sat at the bar.

When we began asking our server questions about the place, the wines, etc - we believe a good manager would have come over to our table and engaged us in conversation, but he had no intention or desire to do so. Easier for him to tell our server to get my email address and, I guess, communicate with me at a later time?!!? (This was with only 2 other occupied tables in the restaurant, and us seated just a few feet from where he was standing!)

We were so not impressed with him! If this is the message he sends to his staff and other patrons, I think the owners of the place have reason for concern.

Red Fish is a very appealing restaurant decor wise ... but it's the people who work in any establishment that make it a GREAT restaurant. If this is an example of his leadership skills, I'd say they have some major issues that need to be addressed with him!