“Lunch was great!”

Santa Fe Cafe
Ranked #37 of 381 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We bring the very best of Southwestern culture and cuisine home to the Lowcountry. Our menu has been an Islanders" preferred dining spot for over 20 years and with dishes like our famous grouper, to our bone-in cowboy cut black angus ribeye, our outrageous chimichanga to even lobster fajitas, we're sure to have a new favorite waiting for you. From the sounds of the live Ranchero guitar player to the smells rising from our mesquite grill, Santa Fe Cafe is a much welcomed reprieve for the senses. Even when you're outside underneath the stars on our Rooftop Cantina, we've got you covered.
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stopped in for lunch because we had a coupon. So glad we did! It wasn't too busy and the staff was very friendly. The lunch menu was much more economical than the dinner menu. We both had the soup and salad and the waiter was helpful in letting us know that we could either double the soup or the salad if we didn't want the quesadillas. So we did! It was a very good meal and a fair price. I had a margarita and it was pretty potent :) Wouldn't want more than one!

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Wow what a wonderful surprise! After a very cold day on the golf course, The Santa Fe Café was recommended to our group. We had a group of 16 and we were able to obtain a very long table upstairs in short notice. I first want to commend the staff for being able to quickly seat us in an organized fashion and to quickly get drinks and Chips out. Having lived most of my life in the Southwest I was expecting the typical textbook Southwest Variation on Mexican food that satisfies most Midwestern and Eastern residents. I did not expect a high end and imaginative menu that combines large portions, elegant presentation and great taste. I might ad that this is a very cozy dark environment that was packed even on a record cold January night with groups of 2 to 16 and every size in between. There were no complaints on food or service from our table. I had the Painted Desert Soup. This might be the absolute best soup that I have ever had in my life. Do not go there without ordering this soup. It is a bit spicy and has such a warm mixture of flavors. I wanted to order a second bowl but I am glad I didn't due to the size of my entre. I ordered the Grilled Pork Tenderloin served over smoked habanero BBQ sauce with black beans and topped by sweet potato fries. Yum, Yum!! My friend said the Tilapia was the best he ever had. We had a meeting at 8:30 that night and the staff was able to get us in and out with 16 individual checks in time to get back to the conference center. I would recommend this to groups or those on dates. There is a very positive atmosphere.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I've been coming to the island over 15 years and always come to the restaurant for lunch and get the painted desert soup...YUM!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We enjoy everything on the menu. You can't go wrong with your choices at Santa Fe. Marshall and Rachel always are on site and take care of all their guests equally. Bar service is great and the table service is with a smile. The Ribeye Buritto and The Cowboy Steak are among our favorites.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

After hearing such positive things about this place - decided to check it out; and after living in New Mexico for 6 months, and AZ for 25 years, went with some pretty high expectations.

A nice, well thought out menu immediately got our hopes up, and prices indicated it wasn't your run of the mill Mexican style restaurant, so our mouths were salivating even more for the wonderful flavors of the Southwest we are so familiar with.

We were their first customers of the evening, and while service from our server wasn't poor, it was nothing outstanding either. (Don't have a name because he never introduced himself with one.)

Salads arrived - and we were off to a great start! Although my husbands needed more dressing, I was nearly finished with my delicious Caesar before we could get our server's attn to bring more for him.

$21 for a chimichanga - I was expecting the Cadillac, top of the line version. Presentation again was very nicely done, and even with the two sauces so artfully and carefully placed on the plate - it totally lacked flavor! Just blah! My husband said the same about his stuffed Portabella mushroom.

Also - after just eating his big salad, what did his entree plated with? Another salad! This time, a half grilled romaine.

We felt any good server would have brought this to our attention when the order was placed.

When he finally did return to the table to ask how things were, we told him both entrees, while nicely presented, totally lacked flavor. His response was, "I'm sorry to hear that" - and walked away!

Seeing that nothing was going to be done, we continued to finish our meal, because we were hungry. (It was the only meal we'd eaten that day). We thought perhaps he would send a manager to our table, but that never occurred either.

We opted to see if they would rally with their charro with coconut ice cream dessert. It was OK, again, nothing memorable.

Upon asking, we were told by our server that the chef use to work in Santa Fe, and goes back every year. It's obvious, allot of care and time go into both their salads and entrees, it's their lack of seasoning that left the entrees flat and boring.

The upside was - someone had given us a coupon for the restaurant for $20 off our total. With a bottle of wine, our meal still totaled out at $75.