“Good for Groups”
Review of Old Oyster Factory

Old Oyster Factory
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Oyster Factory is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 384 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Matthews Drive
Description: The Old Oyster Factory is Hilton Head's premier waterfront dining destination. Enjoy local seafood, hand-cut steaks and amazing water views from every table.
Reviewed April 10, 2007

We had a table of 6 and had no wait in March. The building is quite pretty inside with a lovely view of a river. There is a nice selection of oysters, of which I ordered. Pricey, yes, but I'm from Florida and must be used to cheaper oysters? Anyway, we had a nice meal with pretty good service, though not great. I'd recommend this for families and larger groups (6-10).

1  Thank MySheWasYar
Write a ReviewReviews (3,259)

Reviewed October 20, 2006

After a 90-minute wait on the deck out back listening to a 3rd rate Jimmy Buffett wannabe, we were finally seated at the worst table next to an inside wall with the a/c at our ankles. I asked the waiter for another table and we were graciously accommodated. We sat at their best table overlooking the fireworks from Harbourtown.

You won't be impressed by the location. Marshland is poor real estate on this island of gorgeous white sand beaches.

The noise made conversation practically impossible, the lines to the bathrooms were long, and the dishes were ordinary and uninspired, but the waitstaff was professional and good-humored.

3  Thank Mamaknowsbest
Reviewed August 13, 2006

My husband and I have visited HH three times and have always dined at Old Oyster Factory. The location is beautiful...right on the creek and marshes. Yes there is usually a long wait, because they don't take reservations. Have a snack before you go, arrive early if you can, and relax until your table is ready. This time, we sat out on the deck by the water where there was a cool breeze blowing. (It was early August and clouds were rolling in.) There was a guitar player/singer taking requests, and a bar for drinks on the deck. It was so relaxing, listening to the music and watching all the exotic birds fly by. If you don't want to sit outside, you can sit at the bar and even order appetizers if you're starving. The view from the bar inside is still spectacular. We were told the wait would be one hour (we arrived at 6:15 p.m.), which went by very fast since we were enjoying ourselves. It was actually only 45 - 50 minutes wait time. The dining room is very noisy (yes, lots and lots of kids/families). But the food is excellent, large portions, and good service. Well worth the wait. I don't mind waiting a long time for a table when the atmosphere is scenic and relaxing and a fantastic meal awaits. Just go with a laid back, non-rushed attitude and you will enjoy it.

2  Thank anonymous2415
Reviewed August 4, 2006

We enjoyed our dinner at this restaurant t wo years ago, but we were lucky enough to be in the first seating at 5:00 p.m.. Those of you who have been on a beach/golf vacation know how hard this is to do because you lose so many daylight hours! . This year we tried to avoid the rush by eating later, and at 8:00 pm on a Thursday, there was still a 2 hr wait (spoken cheerfully by the hostess, as if that's normal........) Any way, I think the restaurant is a victim of its overzealous advertising program, and visitors ought to be wary. We went back because the food was good, despite the tourist prices, but they count on first and only time visitors, and no restaurant is worth a 2 hour wait the second time around. By the way, we were seated immediately and had finished our meal at our alternate restaurant before we'd have been seated here. Think about it - your vacation time is worth something too! Don't waste it standing in line.

3  Thank Suzi-Q
Reviewed July 6, 2006

Dear Sirs:

I dined with you on July 4, 2006, what a disaster. Check # 4393 Server was Katie. My wife and I tried to have a nice dinner before returning home after a stay on Daufuskie Island. We were one of the first tables seated (check opened at 4:56pm). My wife ordered The Tilapia Special...$20.99 outrageous for an entree that costs at most $4.90 #, serving was @ 6 oz. and tasted fine, but very overpriced. I ordered the combination Fried Seafood Dinner, Immediately upon presentation I sent the fried shrimp back because they were badly overcooked, the server returned with 4 more overcooked shrimp that looked as if they came from the same batch. She never checked back to see if they were satisfactory. The Scallops were not Scallops but formed Scallop Medallions...not mentioned on your menu , but a major difference. Server brought more iced tea that was very watery at the end of meal, (she was Very Busy). When the check was presented she asked if everything was alright, I told her that the shrimp re-cook was just as bad as the first and that I had to eat them because she never checked back. She said that she was sorry and that the restaurant was overrun and that business expectations were not that great . Outside before your restaurant opened some customers stated that you ran a 2 hour wait the night before...why was a large crowd not expected on one of Hilton Head's largest Tourism weekends?? We were the first seating and should have had exemplary food and service. The server made no other comments and brought me the check, which I paid and left a 12 % tip, not my customary amount. As we were leaving my wife noticed that there were only 3 SC liscense plates in the parking lot and felt that we had been to a tourist trap. I must agree. I really expected to be WOW'ed by a Broad Creek Hilton Head Seafood Institution in a Major Tourism Area of South Carolina.

4  Thank Zambusta