“The Great Gatsby Never Had Cherries Jubilee This Good!”
Review of Hugo's Seafood & Steakhouse - CLOSED

Hugo's Seafood & Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: VOTED 2012 BEST CUISINE at Taste of the Season, Hilton Head's premiere annual culinary event featuring chefs from Hilton Head's top restaurants. Conveniently located 1/2 mile south of Palmetto Dunes/Shelter Cove in South Island Square shopping center.New location features multiple dining rooms boasting a private room ideal for large groups and private parties of up to 45 people. Intimate booths, full bar, climate controlled wine cellar and huge skylights are just some of the incredible attributes.Featuring fresh hand-cut and trimmed steaks, fresh local seafood and amazing tableside flaming desserts!
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
“The Great Gatsby Never Had Cherries Jubilee This Good!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Hugo's is an upscale restaurant with good food at reasonable prices. The table-side desserts are out of this world! Daniel makes the best cherries jubilee imaginable!! Jeri was our server tonight and was very nice. We will be back!

• Visited June 2013

Memphis
“Great Service and Good Food”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Samantha at Hugo's provided us with excellent service and attended to all our needs and then some... Overall the food is wonderful, I would recommend the crab and asparagus soup and the lobster lollipops for starters and end your meal with a flaming dessert! The low country shrimp and grits is worth every penny and the blue cheese rib eye was pretty good too, no complaints about the stuffed pork chop either. Out of the four of us the only thing that wasn't all that good was the surf n' turf.

Branson, MO
“If you like DIRTY surroundings . . .”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I'll try to make this short, but there were so many things about this place that bothered me for a supposedly 'upscale' restaurant. We went early because we hadn't eaten lunch & also to snag the early bird special, which I'd read about in a restaurant menu magazine we picked up at the border (HIGHLY recommend).
We were seated on a small upper level next to a partition separating the dining area from the kitchen, so the entire time we could hear somebody on the other side instructing somebody else how to cook each item as it was ordered (not a bad thing if you like watching the Food Channel, which I do; but if you're looking for romantic??). We were also treated to very loud, very BAD singing along to the Muzac of the waitress(s) on the other side, NOT pleasant at all. The partition itself was a 3/4 wall topped by glass panels, with a 3" or so lip along it: filthy. Looking down at the floor there was a raveled seam straight thru the middle of the carpeting where it was evident it hadn't been replaced and/or was quite old and nobody cared to fix it. Looking up there was ONE and only ONE A/C vent that was clean & new; the others were all old, rusty, and CLOGGED with filth . . . why nobody cleans those things is a mystery to me. I'm not sure why the health dept. in Hilton Head can overlook things like this but I'm hoping they at least check the kitchen for cleanliness.
We ordered drinks and then looked over the menu. I noticed other couples who had been seated before us ask the waitress about specials, which she did note there was ONE nightly special and was the choice everyone made while we were there. She never mentioned having an early bird special menu; so I'm not sure whether this is on purpose to save the restaurant money or in order to get better tips? When it came time for us to order I did ask her about the early bird specials, where she admitted they had them and came back with the proper menu for that time of evening. BTW, just a note that the waitress was very nice but her outfit was DIRTY. I rarely order a drink but when I do I want a frozen margarita, which the waitress said they could do. When it arrived, much to my dismay, it was barely smooth - lots of huge ice chunks in it which was so disappointing. Seems to me somebody is too lazy to wait the extra 30 seconds to let it finish blending. When they give you those teeny, tiny straws to drink thru, having huge ice chunks in your drink just doesn't work.
Our salads came first of course, along with bread rolls & butter. The salads were quite small & plain, just lettuce & shredded carrots, and most of the lettuce stems were rusty so I had to eat around them. The rolls were warm & crusty. Our dinners came and they were very good; my husband had a steak which he enjoyed and I had a crab leg steam pot. The potatoes were a bit hard and the sausage was inedible (to my palette at least, having chunks of gristle) but the shrimp and crab legs were very good as well as the corn.
Overall we wouldn't go back to this place, but if you don't mind shabby surroundings and very expensive food; then you should be quite happy here.

1 Thank babydoodles
Detroit, Michigan
“Delicious! A must every year! Very kid friendly as well.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We can not say enough about Hugo's. The atmosphere, the service and the food make this our go to restaurant at Hilton Head. Restaurants come and go over the 30+ years my family has been coming to this island. This latest of the family is true to the tradition of excellent food with a relaxing atmosphere, great service and warm greetings by the owners - father and son. My son, 12, is a "foodie" and takes great delight in trying new dishes. The owner personally prepared the bananas foster at our table and drew my son into a wonderful conversation about the preparation that led to further discussion on the restaurant industry. Great place - great people. LOVE.

manalapan,NJ
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and I just finished an awful meal and experience. at Hugo's. First we were seated right by a noisy kitchen even though there were several empty tables. The host/manager was very unfriendly,while our waitress was very friendly and helpful. The shrimp scampi was the worst ever had. The linguine was dreadfully overcooked and the shrimp were TINY-tasteless and overcooked as well. Strongly recommend skipping this place on HH!

1 Thank sharonmanalapan_NJ