“Great place off the beaten path”

HogsHead Kitchen and Wine Bar
Ranked #41 of 380 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This place was recommended by a friend who is a frequent visitor. The strip mall it's hiding in doesn't look like much but once you walk in the door you forget about that. Greeted by the exceptionally nice waiter, we took in the very tasteful decor and immediately appreciated that we chose to eat here instead of your run of the mill franchises. We tried two of the adult sodas in the menu and found them very tasty and refreshing. The menu is small but packed with great chef creations and new takes on old favorites. We had the ahi tuna sandwich and jerk chicken Cobb salad. Both meals were full of amazing flavor combinations and were very fresh. Service was very friendly and attentive. Prices are very reasonable and well worth the great food and drink. Overall it was a great experience and we will be back to try more of the exquisite menu.

1  Thank Patina50

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We've been to this Restaurant many times & each time our meals have been outstanding. I love the flavor layers, so wonderfully composed to tantalize each bite. All food is a pleasure to my taste buds. My sesame encrusted tuna was way beyond the "norm" tonight. .Every entree special has always been a delight.
John, owner chef, brings meals to the extraordinary delight for me. So happy you've decided to bring your talent to MossCreek Village

2  Thank Marbleh
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I wanted to try this place after our last visit to the area and stopped in for drinks and apps at the bar. Love the interior decor and the staff was so outgoing and friendly, even if a little disorganized at first. Enjoyed their new signature peach autumn luck cocktail and a local beer along with the most delicious roasted figs in honey with almonds and herbed ricotta as well as the famous sweet potato chowder. We look forward to trying their entrees next time! Absolutely love the reclaimed barn door tables and mason jar light fixtures!

1  Thank Andrea J
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I live in Hilton Head and we decided to try this new restaurant just off the island from us. We like to try new restaurants, especially here in South Carolina where the food tends to be very unimaginative.

Unfortunately, this restaurant was no different. The entree menu is somewhat limited but they also have sandwiches, salads, etc.

The food sounds good but lacks in taste. My husband had the lamb shank which was very tender but had absolutely no seasoning. Chefs around here seem to shy away from herbs and spices. Not sure whether they think the older demographic wants bland food or what. But this restaurant, like most around here, suffer from a lack of seasoning. The shrimp and grits, which I had, was one of the worst examples of this traditional low country dish. It had grits with a sausage gravy that was totally lacking in taste.

Our appetizer was the best part of the meal ( which isn't saying much). It was homemade potato chips with a blue cheese sauce.

Maybe we are too demanding as we are from the Washington, DC area where there are a variety of ethnic restaurants and where the use of spice and herbs are not unusual. But this restaurant, like most in this area, are devoid of imagination and actual taste.

1  Thank msdillo
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I have mixed feelings about this restaurant.
1. French fires are amazing. Seems to be hand cut and lots of flavor!
2. Jerk chicken was very dry. A lot of people thing jerk chicken needs to be over charred. Jerk is just the spice. Was way over cooked (on my jerk chicken salad)
3. The service was very poor! There were 2 servers on this Monday afternoon and the dining room was reasonably full, however people were at all different stages of their meal. Our server never came to check on us and we had to flag him down for adding on condiments. And drink refills. I just think when I'm paying $15 for a salad I'd like someone to fill my water glass without asking. Or at least someone to inquire how my meal is.
May give it a second chance when it's had some time to work out the kinks.