“Great addition to the Bluffton, HHI dining scene”

HogsHead Kitchen and Wine Bar
Ranked #39 of 383 Restaurants in Hilton Head
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Simply said, outstanding food, decor and service! A very welcome change from the touristy, same-old restaurants in the area. The chef's culinary chops are evident in the creative offerings. Fish seems to be his specialty-my husband and I enjoyed the nightly specials of halibut and local cobia, both beautifully presented with fantastic accompaniments. The bar is friendly and comfortable and Tom,the bartender, is attentive and knowledgable about the wines. A word about the wine list-it is small but interesting and there are nightly features at a fair price on the chalkboard. Decor is a big plus in the Moss Creek shopping center-rustic/chic and very comfortable. The only issue I have about this place is the name-although the website explains that Hogshead is a name for a barrel to transport food and other goods, who would know this? I am afraid that the name to most of us implies something far different than what this place is-a very good, eclectic restaurant worthy of serious consideration.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I hope this place makes it , We had a warm welcome from the owner .. As always we decided to sit at the bar , The bartender was ok dont bother getting the house drinks (not as good as they sound) We decided to have a few starters and relax with a cocktail The menu was good all around choice.. As we enjoyed our drinks the Chef /Owner (im guessing) came out to see how we were doing He asked if our bartender gave us the specials ...Awwww NO I was happy to have the Chef explain they all sounded yummy .. We were disapointed and so were the other guests at the bar he failed to tell them . (some had already placed their order) Our food was good and we look forward to going back .

Reviewed May 29, 2013

When I saw the name of this restaurant, I was not expecting to have one of the best experiences I have ever had in ANY restaurant. From the moment you walk in the door, you will be amazed! We went for a "soft opening" wine and food pairing. I don't even know where to begin everything was so good. To start the evening off, servers passed thru the customers with a wonderful amuse-bouche. Perfection. The 1st course was a brie with grilled pears and almonds. Perfect pairings of food flavors and wine! Fabulous! (on a side note, I am allergic to nuts so I contacted the restaurant beforehand to see if this dish could be prepared accordingly. They not only accommodated me, but did so with complete courtesy and professionalism. One of the owners even made it a point to check and make sure I was served correctly. Again, PERFECTION!) 2nd course was Shrimp and Grits with Fried Green Tomatoes paired with WONDERFUL Pinot Noir. I am not a fan of grits, but these were so good I finished every last morsel! I commented to my friends that I have never had shrimp served that has still been this hot off the stove or grill. Very impressive! Main Course was a small MELT IN YOUR MOUTH filet and a mushroom risotto paired with a equally mind blowing Cabernet Sauvignon. If I was impressed before, this course totally blew me away! Everything was so flavorful and expertly prepared! Dessert was a small creme puff with a chocolate genache and raspberries. Perfect ending to a fabulous meal!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Alexis and John have done an outstanding job of creating an enjoyable restaurant. The decor is pleasing with interesting touches. The staff is warm, welcoming and helpful. The food is outstanding.

Our visit on May 14 was a truly enjoyable experience. We will be sure to return when we next visit Hilton Head.

Buena suerte, Alexis and John

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We had an early mother's day dinner at HogsHead and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Food was outstanding and the atmosphere was warm and inviting. Chef John has fresh ideas and the skills to impress. Alexis is a gracious hostess and our server Sandy was impeccable. I would put the food up against the best on the island.