“Hard to find”

Baynard Plantation Ruins
Ranked #36 of 117 things to do in Hilton Head
More attraction details
Owner description: Tours are available through the remains of a plantation house dating back to the 1800s.
Atlanta, GA
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Hard to find”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We found this place after searching for 10 minutes, based on comments from those around us they had trouble finding it too. It's more like a stroll through the woods once you walk past the main house ruins. Thee are a lot of different paths so it can be confusing getting too the rest of the ruins.

1 Thank primetimewife

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Doesn't take too long to look around but interesting to see how it was constructed using "tabby"- an old spanish technique, and on a raised piece of land. It was a location used in the Civil War. I'm grateful to see Sea Pines have made it accessible for visitors to see.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank mbmc7
Charlotte, NC
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Off the beaten path”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Agree with the other reviews. This is a bit hard to find - very small signs to follow off the main road in SeaPines. Small parking area (free) and a very short hike to the ruins (maybe a block or two at most). There are good signs describing the ruins and the building technique using "tabby" (a cement made from oyster shells). There are a number of trails leading off into the woods, but no trail guide available. Site is well-shaded and was pleasant even on a 90+ degree day. You'll only need about 30 minutes - unless you try out some of the trails.

Visited August 2011
4 Thank sheaf01
Salt Lake City
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Tucked away in the woods, I had a lonesome, all-things-pass-away moment”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

my husband and I, on this our first trip to Hilton Head, sought out the Baynard Ruins. The site gives texture to the experience of this upscale vacation mecca. We were there on an overcast, drizzly late afternoon; the plaques tell the story of the family who with their slaves, lived and worked on the site here two centuries ago; and also describe tabby a common construction material in bygone days throughout the coastal South

Visited March 2011
2 Thank MJHBlack
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Kind of interesting but I wouldn't kill yourself to get there.”
Reviewed March 10, 2008

On my recent HHI trip, my husband and I were out riding bikes on the bike trail and probably because we weren't really paying attention as we were just enjoying the great weather- we missed our turn. We saw signs for the ruins and thought "well, why not".

They are kind of tucked in a little corner of Sea Pines and you do need to keep your eyes peeled to find them. They are ruins of an old civil war era mansion and slave quarters. While they aren't terribly substantial, they were surprisingly accessible. You could crawl right through it and touch the walls etc. There was a pretty good emphasis put on the building material called Tabby which uses oyster shells, and it is pretty neat looking.

I didn't take a tour and I'm certain a tour guide would have told lots of interesting details that the limited signage didn't detail but it was kind of interesting. I'd say if you're out on the bike path just adventuring around sea pines, then go take a look. I wouldn't however reschedule your whole trip around it. Then again, it would probably take you about 20 minutes to take it all in, so you won't need to invest too much time to say that you've seen it!

7 Thank kcbelle6732