“Great Italian dinner!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My family went to Pomodori this evening for dinner and we were very happy with the experience. The service staff was knowledgable and attentive. The food was delicious! Even my picky 12-year-old son found courses that he liked - a lot! We did not go away hungry!

1  Thank Equestrianmom
There are newer reviews for Pomodori

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Delicious! Every dish was wonderfully executed and the staff was a delight! Favorites are the eggplant stack and the gnocchi. YUM!

1  Thank cslindstedt
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Excellent service, great food, and a nice atmosphere. This restaurant is tucked away in a strip mall just off of Hilton pkwy. It seems, at first glance, to be a cheap hole in the wall. Once inside, it is apparent that this place is making classic Italian food in a simple yet classy joint. The tables are nothing too fancy, a black table cloth with a piece of brown butcher paper angled on the top, which is replaced after each party leaves. The plates, decor, and table settings were very simple, but they made for a comfortable and still elegant atmosphere. It is a very small place, which means that they probably do not have an option other than to have the server station and pass through to the kitchen in plain sight of the first dining area, the one downfall of the dining experience. It makes for quick service, however, since the food is close to the tables. The menu is simple as well. There are a list of maybe 8 antipasti, 10 main courses, and 4 desserts, if I remember right. Then there is of course the two specials of the day. In my experience, a small and simple menu means high quality and fresh food. I wont be eating something that has been sitting in a freezer for 3 weeks because no one orders it.

Our service was the best part. Lawrence was our waiter, and he did his job like he was a professional. He was good at explaining what things were, he was friendly but still professional, and he was formal but not stuffy, if that makes sense. I watched him handle a table of 8, ours was only my wife and I, and he showed that he is good at working a crowd, handling questions, taking orders, and overall providing good service and representing his business. He was quick with drinks, the on-tap Peroni is also another plus, and he was good about checking on the table. Pomodori is lucky to have him. The bus boys or food runners were also very attentive, and the other wait staff even stopped by to see if we needed refills (Lawrence had already asked and was on his way). The restaurant clearly stresses customer service.

I ordered the Pomodori house-made gnocci, with bolognese sauce and my wife had a linguini pasta dish with a garlic oil sauce and shrimp. We had the calamari as an appetizer. The gnocci was light and delicate but still dense like a filled pasta should be. Delicious. The calamari, even though I am typically a little skeptical, was very good. They use a locally sourced olive oil, which was great for bread dipping. I was very pleased with the food, but most importantly the service. We will be back to Pomodori if we return to Hilton Head.

2  Thank Aaron R
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We live here and try to get to Pomodori 2-3 times a month. There are other good italian restaurants but Pomodori stands out. The menu is ideally sized as to guarantee your meal is freshly prepared. The wine list has excellent choices and reasonably priced. Atmosphere is lively and the owner/chef as well as her staff are dedicated to their product which is simply outstanding. Reservations are a must, a recent negative review was posted because they had no reservations and the wait was too long. Do you really want to eat where you can walk right in and get a table without waiting? They take bar reservations also which my wife and I enjoy as Nate the bartender/sommelier/server/raconteur just adds to the experience. You won't regret it.

2  Thank ohniner
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Staff was great. The owner/chef is so sweet. Nate is the wine guy just tell him what you like and he will pick out a great wine for you.