“great italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Not for atmosphere but good eats. Seated promptly at our reservation time. Waite staff explains dishes and make suggestions, fairly good wine list. My wife's veal piccata dish was tender and excellent with a side of pasta and choice of sauce on pasta.
My gnocchi in a meat sauce was excellent and enough for lunch the next day. Same for the veal.
I would recomend this restaurant and would for sure return.

3  Thank wingsofmanAtl

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were visiting on vacation and spotted this restaurant. My husband is Italian so we gave in a try. The food is outstanding and wonderful service. Be sure to get a reservation on busy nights!

2  Thank Jlboswell22
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Best Italian restaurant on Hilton Head.Dishes ,sauces homemade daily.Small, intimate and very friendly ,helpful staff.Great homemade pastas and desserts.

1  Thank lindaondo
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Pomodori is a stone’s throw from the acclaimed Charlie’s L’Etoile Verde, and like Charlie’s L’Etoile Verde, Pomodori fronts on 278 in Hilton Head. Using New Orleans Road as access, Charlie’s L’Etoile Verde is to the right and Charlie’s L’Etoile Verde is to the left, directly adjacent to a canine center.

Just as Charlie’s L’Etoile Verde is French, Pomodori is casual Italian. We like that Pomodori is unpretentious Italian, and more often than not the clientele, regardless of gender is attired in jeans. Ladies seem not to display gold and diamonds.

Please note that Pomodori is an extremely small restaurant, and we are pleased that our reserved table bears our name with a slab of 12” black slate and chalk. How creative is that? Pomodori still qualifies as a “find.” Not yet in a league with the legends, the humble owner is climbing the ladder of success.

We ask to meet the owner who is a young “semi-Italian lady” in a chef’s outfit. Pomodori is the sort of find that Americans can only dream of when visiting Italy. My Italian wife is hugely pleased. We inquire of the owner, have you visited Italy? “Yes, and I have studied at an Italian Institute for a year.” We like this chef-owner.

Pomodori is an extremely small restaurant, and we urge reservations to avoid disappointment. Hilton Head sports dozens of Italian “restaurants” from the pretentious “upscale” to the pizza and pasta joints. Neither the former nor the latter is of the ilk to warrant our attention.

Entry is a puzzle: there are a few tables in the front, a deck with tables and a water view, the “shotgun” hallway with tables and the open kitchen. The primary seating is in the back (fronting on 278. There are five tables from two tops to four tops to six tops, and a small bar which seats seven. Tonight, a light and pleasant jazz is the background music. Our server Boris (not Italian) offers a carafe of Pinot Grigio and served in “Godfather glasses.” “Boris, this is charming, but we really prefer stemware.” Boris grins, and returns with stemware.

The owner has done her best to decorate, and we like the wall of “family pictures.” We always favor family restaurants with small menus. I choose the pasta Bolognese with extra sausage, and the sausage is made on premises and is served loose. I add cheese and three scoops of red pepper, and achieve spicy perfection. My wife is predictable in her order of linguine with clams, mussels, and shrimp with and extra order of marinara.

By 6:00PM Pomodori is filled with boomers/retirees. For whatever reason there are seven women dining at the bar and drinking to their heart’s content. We sense the locals have discovered this “find.” The fare is appropriate for the tariff. Pomodori is on our short list of favorite Hilton Head favorites.

8  Thank SavantIII_11
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Small, well lit, great decor with a small bar in the rear. Lots of fabric padding and curtains so even though it is small, it is not loud. Excellent wait staff, very attentive and gracious. The prices were surprising. I expected high prices being on Hiltn Head Island but was pleasantly surprised by the great value.
Started dinner with Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc(New Zealand) with Bruschetta and Insalata Mista which included cherub tomatoes, garbanzos with fig vinegar and shaved Romano, MMM!Primi pasta was the Orechiette con Salsiccia which consisted of housemade sausage, broccolini, short pasta with Pecorino Romano, Superb!
I will be back to savor the many delectable items I saw being served as I was dining. Great value, service and atmosphere.

1  Thank RobertEdgerly