New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #68 of 113 things to do in Hilton Head
Meridianville, Alabama
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Rudest Establishment on Hilton Head......PERIOD.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I admit it, I missed the sign next to the front door. Granted, the sign was about six or seven feet to the left of the front door and the writing was very small on it, but i missed it - no kids under 6 allowed. Any responsible parent knows that having young children to watch after can cause you to miss a few things in passing. So I ended up in The Bargain Box with my five-year-old duaghter, who I was supervising as she looked through some toys. She was well-behaved, placing everything back where it belonged when she finished looking. Then this old lady showed up beside us, an employee of the store. She had a pleasant smile and demeanor, asking me how I was with all the pleasantries one could ask for. But it was all fake, because then she turned and started grilling my daughter about her age, which started making me feel uneasy. When my daughter answered she was five, the nice smile turned to one of the most hateful frowns I have ever seen, and she started reaching for my daughter's arm saying things about having to leave the store. I stepped in front of the woman before she could grab her, then she turned on me with an angry voice saying children under five were not allowed. Needless to say I took my daughter and left and I won't be back. My message to the employees of The Bargain Box: here's the thing - you're a THRIFT STORE, not Saks 5th Avenue. You have items on your shelves that nobody wanted, not priceless Vanderbilt heirlooms. And I know you're on Hilton Head Island, but that's so far beneath The Hapmtons it's ridiculous. Get it? Your story about banning children because of insurance reasons is ridiculous. Based on my experience in your store and the reviews of others on here, I would guess that you simply hate children. But that doesn't give any of your employees the right to grab at anybody's kids yelling for them to leave like some kind of security force. If I violated a store rule, then ask me to leave respectfully, which is what everybody deserves. The behavior of your employee during my visit was nothing but disrespectful and disgraceful.

Visited July 2013
31 Thank Mark E

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Picked over, rude service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've been donating and visiting this place for years and seen how it's gone way downhill. They say they're open til 4, but start kicking you out at 3:30. That's just the time I get off work and can make it over. I came in today at 3:50 and the guy that knows me there wouldn't let me in. I said I've been donating and visiting this place for years and just wanted to see if there were any shoes that I could come back tomorrow for. Oh, well, guess I won't be donating here any more. Yuppie pricks.

Visited August 2013
14 Thank F3ralf3rr3t
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“New Policy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Just found out my favorite place to shop has lifted their policy on no children under 6 allowed. GREAt NEWS!

Visited July 2013
6 Thank HHIpat
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best thought of as Bargain Box Boutique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Unique jewelry, gently used designer clothes, shoes and purses, great selection of furniture and household goods. Just plain fun shopping and deal hunting.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Sheila S
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The Bargain Box is the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

The Bargain Box has the best thrift store prices around the island Lots of merchandise! Never the same store from each visit! Unfortunately, if you are looking for Bargain Box, the photo posted is not even close to what the Bargain Box looks like. I have added a photo of the real Bargain Box.

Visited June 2013