“A little lacklustre”
Review of South Beach Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hilton Head
South Beach Inn
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Bath, United Kingdom
“A little lacklustre”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Booked for 2 nights and stayed 1 - reception staff were not hugely friendly - so that did not put me in a good mood for starters... The unit we booked was basic but nice. One room with sofa, coffee table, 2 large bay windows with seats, one small table with 2 chairs, little kitchenette and a bedroom with double bed, 1 wardrobe, 1 chest of drawers, 1 bedside table and lamp (not good when you both want to read in bed), 1 ceiling fan, and a standard US bathroom with shower over Bath, 1 basin, 1 WC. All very clean. The front door was very difficult to open and close. The key cards were not working very well and I was not keen to get charged for "out of hours opening" if I had to call them out because I could not get in. The pool is in the centre of a car park but apart from that it is a lovely pool. You can get breakfast delivered to you by the restaurants next door with no extra charge which is a great idea. However, it appears that the freezer in the room below our bedroom was working overtime and our bedroom was literally vibrating and so was our bed. We had a terrible night and left early the following morning completely exhausted... The refund came through very quickly so that was a plus but I can't really recommend this place as I felt I was not really welcome there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rotterdam0892

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
charleston,sc
Reviewed August 16, 2011

My sister had rented a gorgeous house across the street from the South Beach Marina, I decided at the last minute, to stay for a night or two at the South Beach Inn to "check it out". What a pleasant surprise! They have funky little condos complete with a kitchenette right inside the marina complex. I ending up only staying one night, my sister really wanted me to stay with them, and their house was amazing. However, I am really looking forward to coming back with my husband. This is a perfect weekend getaway place, no need to even drive your car once you arrive. Restaurants and shops right there, beach just a very short walk away and even a pool (though I never did even use it). Renting a beach cruiser was perfect, too! Hilton Head has great bike trails. I can't wait to return, thanks South Beach Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank katpower
Charleston, SC
Reviewed November 30, 2010

My husband and I drove down from Charleston, SC for a date night on November 20. We needed a little getaway from our busy lives and children. Sea Pines in November was the perfect spot for a quick night away. It was relaxing and peaceful and the Salty Dog gave us just the right amount of food/entertainment needed. South Beach Marina is small and quaint, which is what we were looking for. Yes, the rooms could use a makeover, but for $97/night for a clean, spacious room in a great location who can complain?! We were able to check in early and the staff was super nice. We can't wait to bring our girls (ages 2 1/2 and 5) back in the spring for a weekend away with the family! Overall a good experience. I have stayed in some four and five star hotels and South Beach Inn doesn't compare - but then again, they are in a whole different category so you wouldn't even be comparing apples to apples so why try.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Pepper Pike, OH
Reviewed April 14, 2010

We were the only car in the parking lot in March
even up until Easter
The locals must not refer anyone
The hotel room is very dated
The floor is not level
And there is some danager in accessing room and inside, not safe for kids
The staff can be distant and short.
I wanted to cancel reservation because my son was sick and they refused

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank BJacops
SW Illinois
Reviewed March 9, 2010

Our traveling philosophy is to pay as little as possible for our lodging so we can take the savings and extend our stay; after all, we spend way more time out and about than we do in the room (as long as the room is clean and has the basic amenities -- all we need is a place to sleep). So when we saw the ratings here at tripadvisor.com for the South Beach Inn, we knew that we'd found the place for us on Hilton Head ... and now we can visit HHI twice as often, thanks to the savings!

The room was very clean, had a lot more room than your typical hotel/motel room, had a small kitchen (handy for storing my ever-present stash of Diet Coke LOL), and had just a very short walk to the beach (the reason we come to HHI in the first place). Granted, we prefer the ocean beach to the sound beach, but we just made a left as soon as we got to the beach and within minutes we were on the ocean beach. ;-)

We enjoyed our stay at the SBI so much that we have reservations there for our trip in 6 weeks!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed November 10, 2009

We enjoyed our stay so much we didn't want to leave. The room was so very comfortable and convenient to every thing we needed. Felt like we escaped the real world and found a little bit of paradise. Would recommend this to anyone who needs to get away and relax.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Georgia
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We stayed at the South Beach Inn for one night before our reservations started at the Disney Hilton Head Inn. We booked a 1 bedroom suite with a queen bed and a queen pull out sofa. The room was very clean and nicely decorated. It is on the 2nd floor in the shopping area adjacent to the Salty Dog store and near the Wreck of the Salty Dog. There is no elevator/handicapped access, so you are schlepping luggage and everything up and down a flight of wooden slat steps. We had a nice view of the quaint little village from our room, and the room was easy walking distance to the Salty Dog, the beach, restaurants, shopping, a playground and a small pool (in the middle of the parking lot.) We checked in around sunset, and then went over to Jake's pizza and ate, and enjoyed some live music outside with a couple of drinks and then back to the room for rest. The next morning we ate breakfast foods we had brought and we went for a stroll at the beach prior to checking into Disney. All in all, we enjoyed our one night stay here - but I would say that we would not choose this resort for our entire vacation. Our kids were 5 and 7, and they shared the pullout bed. There was only one TV in the room and it was where the pullout was; we ended up moving this into the bedroom. It has an "intown" feeling (because it is literally among the shops) and you can hear some of the nightlife, so I would not recommend this for more than a night or two, especially if you have young kids. While we did have a good time here, I'm not sure we will stay here again.

• Liked — Location - very good for a short trip
  • Disliked — 2nd floor location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank dunnhorn