“Great value for the money”

Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed July 22, 2007

Ok, clearly it's not a beachfront resort. But when you decide to go to Hilton Head on the Friday before Memorial Day and it's the only available property for less than $300 a night, and the other Tripadvisor reviews were fundamentally ok, you take a chance.

So we did, and we were pleasantly surprised.

It's small, yes it is. The rooms are so small that while one person is moving, the other one needs to be sitting down somewhere out of the way. Otherwise, for those of you that play the Sims, you'll recognize the backing and forthing steps that happen :) Two adults occupied this room, if there were children along, I don't know that I would have been at all comfortable.

Other than the size, we found the room clean and comfortable. Linens were clean. It was nicely decorated for a Red Roof. We had a surprise microwave and mini fridge in the room which was great. The motel is centrally located between the public beaches, and I recommend Forest Beach, as it has good parking. There is a gas station/convenience store right in front of the motel which was very convenient for grabbing beach snacks and beverages. There is a pancake house on the other side of the motel parking lot which was really quite good. The lobby offers free coffee, tea, cocoa and fruit juice any time of the day. There is a small pool which we did not use. It was surprisingly quiet, and there were a number of expensive late model cars parked outside which leads me to believe we weren't the only ones making a last minute beach trip decision :)

We liked it well enough to return. Sure, I'd rather be beachfront, but hey, for $100 a night on a holiday weekend (approx 80 other times), it was a great choice for a budget trip.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank Ktoo
There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island

Reviewed July 20, 2007

Hilton Head is expensive, and I'm poor; but the beach is beautiful and free to all. So my wife and I were looking for a cheap place to stay as close to the beach as our finances would allow, and a place that would allow us to bring our dog. Red Roof was perfect. The room was clean and newly remodeled, so it had that "new hotel" feel. Unlike most, they don't charge a fee to bring your pet. The location is great, or as good as you can get w/o paying for a beachfront location. At the time we booked, it was the cheapest place on the island, so we could actually afford it. And it was everything we needed--the beds were comfy (in fact, my wife liked the pillow so much that she bought one from Red Roof online!), we had a small fridge, the a/c worked well in the heat of the summer, and service was good. When we needed towels, someone brought them right up to the room.

Before I get gushy about the place, let me make clear: it's the cheapest place in town for a reason. Everything is quite minimal--a tiny continental breakfast (if you can call it breakfast), few freebies in the bathroom, too far from the beach to walk (but a very short drive), and the front desk service is hit-or-miss (I'd say "adequate and polite," but not "excellent"). Because it's cheap, the clientele might not be the most classy. And the room is minimal--it's basically what you'd expect for the price (though there was a nice little desk area that added some roominess--more than I expected).

What I'm saying is this: all we wanted was an inexpensive place to sleep that would be clean, decent, problem-free, pet-friendly, and fairly near the beach. We got all of that and were very pleased. This place is better than I expected for the price.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mbslpo
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Just spent 2 nights at the Red Roof Inn at Hilton Head Island and couldn't have been more pleased. We have stayed at hotels of every caliber all around the country and world. We were returning from a trip to Florida and decided to grab 2 days in Hilton Head on our way back to Bethesda, MD. This hotel was completely renovated in February of 2007. The rooms are excellent with all new amenities and infrastructure. The employees were friendly and courteous. The location is excellent and within a short distance of all major sites. Great value, clean rooms - would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank alanme
Reviewed May 22, 2007

Had never stayed here before but after reading that it had been renovated, decided to give it a try. Everything was new and updated. The bed was comfortable, the swimming pool clean ( I saw the pool man), and the staff was very friendly. Breakfast is only served during season but you are right next store to the best breakfast on the island - Stacks. Do not know if they had towels at the pool so you might want to bring extras and the ones in the room are not very thick. Great central location & had no trouble getting in and out of the property. Also a service station across the parking lot for goodies and forgotten items. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank chunkychow
Reviewed April 21, 2007

I expected to get what I paid for but man, were we surprised. The room was BEAUTIFUL! Clean, stocked and everything worked! The continental breakfast is a farce, but we didn't go on vacation to eat donuts, besides there is a GREAT restaurant on location for breakfast and a wonderful little bakery next door. The lobby has the coolest little coffee maker, we had cappuccino, latte or hot cocoa anytime we wanted for FREE. The employees are WONDERFUL, the girls at the desk kept us stocked with clean towels and extra pillows at all hours and even spent time playing with our cat which let us know he was truly welcome and would be quite safe when we were out. The toilet paper was even soft, that alone speaks volumes!
We didn't have a chance to use the pool as it was too chilly, but it looked like it would provide a good time this summer, so we'll be back!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank FlaNascarMom
Reviewed September 19, 2006

Stayed one night - booked three room for family members.
The corridors to the rooms were loaded with bugs (dead & alive) and spider webs. I doubt that the areas had been cleaned in recent months. Our room smelled like mildew - the ice bucket lid had a crusty layer of dust on it (as if it hadn't been cleaned in the last month) . But the topper was, I checked our beds before going to sleep and all looked fine. In the morning I awoke to (2) dead bugs in my bed!! My sister in laws had dead bugs in their room and on the carpet (seems like a vacuum was never used)
only one room was half way decent - even though it too smelled.

In future will stay elsewhere. Yes it is cheap here - but it's also dirty and disgusting!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Rene G
A TripAdvisor Member
Beaufort, NC
Reviewed April 13, 2006

We recently stayed for 3 nights. Very good rate. Very good value. We also travel with our dog, Titan. They accept pets and do not charge extra.
Room was recently renovated, and clean. No hair dryers in bathroom, but if you ask at the front desk, they have some available.
Friendly, helpful staff.
Great location to everything in Hilton Head!

• Stayed: April 2006