“Poor Property, Above Average Service”

Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Wilmore, Kentucky
“Poor Property, Above Average Service”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is a difficult review to write. I would have rated this property with the poorest rating possible, but the service and desire to make things right by the staff complicate things considerably. When I first began writing reviews, after glossing several other reviews on tripadvisor, I determined to write just the facts so as to be objective as possible. However, when you have met an outstanding staff of a certain business who was as friendly and desirous to please as was at this establishment, it is most difficult to just offer a chronological list of observations and occurrences. So, at the offset and because my evaluation of the property will not be flattering, I want to state that I have not found a higher level of service and attitude anywhere as I have found here. Thanks Chris and Brittany! Sadly, the property as experienced, stains their wonderful efforts.
General Area:
Let me first state that Hilton Head Island is a conundrum. The island is highly privatized. The majority of the land is owned/leased to resorts and clubs who "hog" the beaches and charge exorbitant prices for what they offer. I would conjecture that the privatization percentage has to be somewhere between 80-90%. I had an opportunity to talk with several people who worked in various service avenues on the island and none with whom I talked could even consider living near the island. Most had to live at least an hour away to afford housing on their $8-$9 an hour wage. Yet, hotels averaged 165-350 per night and the average meal for food indigenous to the area ran $12-$30 per person. You will have to make your own conclusions as to what this means. We finally found a place where the four of us could eat an average type lunch for $60. The Island landscape itself it quite pleasing as the local government has take precautions to limit the clearing of coastal trees and vegetation. There are no neon lights allowed and no bright lights after 10PM. However, this makes it difficult to find your way around after dark. Most of the businesses are subdued by colors or vegetation (by local law). For example, if you are looking for a franchised store you will scarcely recognize the building design/colors that are so noticeable along most major highways. The beaches are another issue. There is very very very limited parking for the public access areas to the beaches. You will pay a meter fee or fine and are limited to two hours. The public beach areas are extremely crowded almost anytime of the day and early evening. Just finding somewhere to place a chair without encroaching someone's personal space was a problem. Unfortunately, the streets and by-ways of the city are just as crowded. We realized quickly that the best way to get around is on bicycle. This is a really busy place, the antithesis of what you would consider to be a vacation. Just a side note: I observed that the majority of out of state tags were from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. I shared this observation with someone from one of these states who was visiting the island. He stated that this area is the summer playground for Northerners and that they are willing to fork over the cash/credit card for the Southern coastal experience,which Southerners can't afford, then he laughed. I think he may be on to something.
Specific Property:
This Red Roof is not unattractive, but very dated. It is lined with pleasing palms and scrub oaks and other flora such as azaleas and crepe myrtle trees as befits a deep south property. The building sits behind a convenience mart and a breakfast/lunch restaurant far enough that you don't really notice either. The pool is small and clean. The property manager, Chris, makes sure that the pool area stays family friendly. Red Roof generally has a great many contract labor people staying when the construction industry is booming. Apparently, their common ritual is to drink large amounts of alcoholic beverages outside of their rooms after work. Our second day there a few were camped out by the pool drinking beer. Chris quickly went to them and explained that there was no alcohol allowed in the pool area, especially when there are small children in the area.
Check-In:
We drove 14 hours to get to Hilton Head. Upon arrival (9:30 PM) the clerk immediately presented us with a problem. Our online reservation stated that we would like a non-pet room due to allergies. The clerk said that she did not think that we could have our reservation because they did not have any non-pet rooms. After 14 hours of driving I would have slept with a flea infested dog. She had to call her manager to "allow" us to check-in even though we had reservations. This did not sit well. Nevertheless, we filled out the paperwork and finally got to our room.
Room:
The really nice thing about this particular Red Roof is that they have hardwood floors. They realized that if you are going to be pet friendly, then you are going to have to remove the carpet. The room smelled clean and the bathroom had no visible mildew. However, when we got to the room all we wanted to do was rest. We sat our bags by the door took a quick shower and went to bed. The next morning we got up, started moving things around and to our surprise found a gaping hole approx. 20" long and 5-8" above the floor, between the A/C and the door. The floor trim was pulled away from the wall and was hanging out there. I suspect that the A/C has been leaking for some time and rotted the sheetrock. Yet, none of the cleaning staff requested repair. We also found a hole under the desk area, the refrigerator and freezer was completely frozen up (a 4-6" thick piece of ice covered the cooling coils), and even though they automatically charge you for safe use (you can request this taken off at check-out) there were two keys missing on the key pad. Upon finding these things I expressed them to the clerk (Brittany) that next morning. She was considerate, completely understanding, and baffled by the lack of maintenance. She suggested that they move us to another room and said that she would get back with us after she contacted the manager. The manager (Chris Anselmo) contacted us after we came back from the beach. She apologized and suggested also that we move to another room. Chris not only moved us to a very large suite, but comped our first room for our troubles. She was bound and determined not only arbitrate our concerns, but to over satisfy our disappointment. Chris really is concerned about her customers and wants their expectations met. She and Brittany are the shining stars of the economy motel business.
Chris really wanted to please us, unfortunately, the king bed in the room we now occupied was in need of repair. One of the bed frame legs near the headboard was missing a roller, which caused the bed to lean down at the head. I just stuck the phone book under it and went to sleep. The beds at this property did not sleep well and each that we experienced seemed to have unacceptable depressions in the middle (overuse or age?).
Value:
Considering the average cost of a room on the island, which does not include the high end resorts, this room would have been a great value. Our online price was 96.00 per night with taxes for a full size double bed with fridge and microwave. However, the problem lies with the maintenance of the property. As a general note, I have found a recurring observation concerning mid to economy priced hotels: the common practice is to shuck costly maintenance and precise cleaning and rent the room as is. If the customer complains, then they will do something about it. This places the satisfaction level upon the clientele. In other words, motels are only rising to the expectations of the least demanding customer. They only meet someone's discerning expectations if you complain. This is troubling.
General Conclusions:
We only stayed in Hilton Head for two days. We did not enjoy the ostentatious and hectic tone of the island. It was not conducive to a relaxing vacation. Given the problem with our room, it fit right in to what we experienced on the island. The highlight of our stay was Chris and Brittany, and the many locals we encountered working in the service industry.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank fdgillis
Chris A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your experience here and of Hitlon Head was not not what you were hoping for. I enjoyed meeting you and your family and hope if you are ever in Hilton Head again you will give us a second chance.
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Reviewed July 31, 2013

On a drive from nj to Florida we wanted to stop in hilton head island. After doing a search we found that many hotels were out of our price range. We stumbled upon the red roof inn and decided to take a chance; we were pleasantly surprised. The beds were comfy, the rooms were clean, overall a very nice place and a great price for some young girls driving through. Also, the two people we interacted with at the front desk were very friendly, helpful and kind. When we asked for one extra towel, the woman came out with a handful of them. She was flexible with the checkout time giving us a little extra time before getting back on the road. Overall very satisfied with our stay here.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Xjackie7x
Chris A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad you found us and that your stay was enjoyable. We hope to see you again.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here on the 27th of April which was Saturday. We had nothing booked for the area and we found the Red Roof Inn. The staff was quite friendly, she also gave us the walking price (without asking for it as we did not even know that was possible!) as we arrived at 10pm that day. Place very quiet, there is a dinner right in front of it for breakfast (we did not use it though). The only downside was that the room was not the cleanest, specially the bathroom, where you could see steps marks as well as toilet has been used and not clean...location is ok I suppose since Hilton Head is very spread, so you definitely need a car or bike (much better option) to move around

Room Tip: Our room was at the back which faces the car park and the woods, so I would pick that side instead o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We thank you for your review. We love the feedback so that we can improve on what we do. I hope the next time you are on Hilton Head you will come and stay with us again.
Johnson City, TN
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Red Roof Inn during a very last minute trip July 5th-July 8th to help my mother move into her new home there. Every rental condo and hotel in Beaufort County was booked, and we got a last minute cancellation. To be honest, our expectations were low-we normally stay in higher end places-but we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel has been recently renovated, with new paint, flooring, furniture, etc. and was very clean. Our King room was small, but had everything we needed with very good mattress and pillows. The hotel was full with a wedding party of over 100 people, but we had no trouble with noise-slept like babies. Chris is the manager, and she was clearly on top of things-very friendly! Very conveniently located as well. Thanks, Chris!!

Room Tip: We had a corner first floor room in the back-very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Chris A, Manager at Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for you review!! We are so happy you had a great stay and look forward to you coming back.
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Check your bill-- they charge you for the safe rental fee whether you use it or not. You have to tell them differently when you check out to get the charges reversed. Housekeeping will come by and start knocking on your door to get you out of the room. After a couple of knocks they will use their key to come in whether you are in the room or not. Front desk staff could care less about you they are only there for a paycheck--no southern hospitality here.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ohmygoodnes
Chris A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us here at Red Roof Inn. It is true the safe charges are a part of the bill, but just like the sign on the desk says and on the registration card where the guest initials the safe charge we gladly remove it at check out.
I believe you filled out one of the surveys we send upon check out, I tried reaching you. I would love to chat, I can be reached at 843 227 2643.

Again we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay.
Saint George, South Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is the best of Hilton Head at the best price. Other rates were simply out of our reach and the Red Roof was the perfect solution. We stayed 3 week nights in June for about $75 a night. We stayed in a king ground floor room and we were quite pleased. The room wasn't huge and the mattress wasn't new, but it was clean and quiet. Located a short drive from Coligny, it was easy to drive everywhere on the island. The bike path runs in front of the hotel, too. We enjoyed Island Bagel across the street. Hotel breakfast in very slim, but that's an ok compromise for the great rates. Pool was small, but clean. Employees were friendly. I loved that we had a micro fridge in our room, but we lacked any kind of table. Ultimately we throughly enjoyed our Hilton Head trip and we're planning a return to the Red Roof.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. I agree the bagels are wonderful across the street. We hope the next time you are in Hilton Head you will come and stay with us again.
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 5/30-6/1 of this year. There were spiders, roaches and even a tick in our room. There were 4 of us in a suite and we had 2 towels. When I asked for more, I was told they "would get to it." Took a very long time. I fell through a rotten pool chair (I am not heavy). When I expressed disppointment, I was told by Chris I would get a free night at a Red Roof Inn , and guess what? It is July and that certificate for a free room never showed up! Imagine that...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Debra F
Chris A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
First I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We hope all our guest have a postive experience with us. We did send you a VIP pass for a free night stay and will follow up with you pronto and send another one.