“2 parts of this place ones nice the other bad news”

Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Hilton Head
Atlanta, Georgia
“2 parts of this place ones nice the other bad news”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I agree the new management at hotel part is poor but it didnt used to be that way with hotels former management. The regular hotel rooms aren' t great but the little effieciencies rented as apartment type studios 4 long term where I rent are pretty nice& I never had bug problem here but those I think are run by different person and not part of hotel and I agree when stayed@ regular hotel room it was bad and ran into roaches too. But have lived in area for about 4 years now and roaches are every where when your near the water and even my rental a beautiful well kept condo had roaches which pest control didnt help as roaches become resistant to it.

Room Tip: go to other building next door and may be more $ but much nicer& not same management
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank katlet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Hilton Head, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is actually a true story. I kid you not.

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island for 3 nights over the Thanksgiving holiday. The first night we checked in quickly and hurried over to my parent's home to visit with friends and family for the Thanksgiving holiday. While the room was nothing fancy (certainly there was not the expectation for that staying at a budget hotel) there was next to no toilet paper left and obvious damage to the door frame where it appeared someone had tried to kick it in at some point in time. We laughed to ourselves and tried to justify that hey, this is what you get for 50 some odd bucks a night.

The next day we were up and out early for Thanksgiving and spent the day over at my parent's place. We came back late that night to find two ROACHES in the shower. Again, we chalked this up to it being a ground floor room and it was far too late to leave for somewhere else.

Friday was a repeat of Thursday, with us being gone all day. Late that night we arrived to the room to find now three ROACHES and one black spider on the walls and floor. We had met our end of justifying the condition of the hotel, threw the bugs outside, thoroughly checked the bed, and decided we would leave the next day to stay our last night on island somewhere else.

At check out my boyfriend mentioned that "we were checking out early due to multiple roaches being in the room for the last two nights". He suggested that they spray the rooms. The manager replied, "Yea, I see them here in the lobby all of the time too". I was shocked and appalled by this response and notified her that we would be calling corporate to let them know about the condition of their property and the response of their management as soon as we got in the car.

We got in the car to leave and I realized we did not have a receipt for our stay. I went back inside and asked the manager to provide us with a receipt of our stay. Disgruntled, she responded, "I'm surprised you would have stayed if it was really that bad". I let her know again that I would be calling corporate as soon as we got in the car. I was handed the receipt and as I turned around to leave I heard the manager mutter something under her breath. Shocked again, I turned around and asked "do we have a problem here?". She rolled her eyes, took a sip of her drink, and I left.

Now, one would expect customer service to be horrified at the condition of their hotel and the treatment of their patrons by its management. IN FACT, I have been refused a refund by Red Roof Inn and am now BANNED from the hotel. I've been offered two free nights (which is actually one considering I've already paid for a night we didn't stay) at any Red Roof Inn location, oh, except for Hilton Head. Why? "Because of the behavior of my husband and I" according to the manager. No, because I called corporate.

This is customer service and what Red Roof Inn management considers an appropriate response.

Patron if you dare. AND PLEASE don't call corporate. You'll have no where to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jane D
Chris A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Jane D:

Thank You for your frank comments about your experience at our hotel. As we recently discussed on the phone, we have refunded your entire stay as well as sent you two passes for a free night’s stay to thank you for your input. We use a national pest elimination company to ensure that our guests receive a pest free stay. The room you stayed in has been scheduled for treatment and placed out of service until that is performed. Thank you for your understanding while we transition to new management at the Hilton Head Red Roof Inn. We look forward to giving you a great stay at our hotel the next time you visit Hilton Head.
Marion, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Rooms are clean and location is good. Love the pet friendly and quiet location. Our only complaint is the TV Channel selection is slim after 4 ESPN's and 3 HBO's. We did kill one small roach in the room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chris A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at our Hotel. We do have are rooms treated on a monthly bases for pest control. We look forward to seeing you and your pet on your next visit to Hilton Head.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had never been to Hilton Head before. We have a Yellow Lab so a hotel that accepted pets was imperative. The Red Roof Inn here was very clean, and accepted pets. It was centrally located near all we wanted to visit. There was a breakfast restaurant right in the parking lot (Stacks) that was great for morning food. The people in the hotel were friendly, and the overall stay was nice. The room was clean. The mattressess at Red Roof need to be upgraded. The A/C system rattled a bit. The internet was fast and free. We got a special since I am a loyalty card holder so the value was excellent for what we paid. I would go back.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel faces the forest so there was less noise. And it was easy to walk the dog bac...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the nice review, our guests are very important to us and your comments help us improve the stay for all of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you come to Hilton Head.
Dublin, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We like staying here on quick weekend getaways. Rooms are always clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. We usually get a King superior, but this time we tried the two room king. This worked out great for us as I am up earlier than my wife. Location is great being in the center of the island.

Room Tip: Be sure to go to Fresh Market for your snacks.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bill C: Thank you for taking the time to post a trip advisor review on your stay at the Red Roof Inn Hilton Head. I am pleased to see that you had a great stay and thank you for letting others know of this. I am glad you liked our King Suite; it is nice having that extra room. I hope to have you as a guest again in the near future!
Augusta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I checked in and was no toliet tissue in the bathroom,1 large towel for 2 people.The floors were not vaccumed and the in the bathroom you could see dirt and hair all in the corners and the side of toliet had not been wiped off.That night a roach was seen crawling up the side of my bed and the next mornning I was waken to a spider over my face in bed.This is beside no parking cause big trucks with trailers pulled in taking up 5 spaces and the Man running the front desk was so rude to tell us that spiders are all on Hilton Head.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mawmawangie
Thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize. I understand your dissatisfaction and concern. Any report of insects in a room is considered very serious at our hotel. Quick and decisive action is taken. The reported room is immediately put out of order. A professional pest elimination company is called to thoroughly inspect and treat the room.

The housekeeping issues that you mentioned are not typical at our hotel. I hope you will give us a try the next time you are in Hilton Head, I am sure you will have a great stay with us.
Youngstown, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed here with my young daughter in July. It was a spontaneous trip booked on my iPhone, and there was some confusion at check-in (that the front desk clerk quickly resolved). While we were waiting, one of the employees graciously went out of his way offered my daughter a drink from the juice machine, which was off since it was past breakfast time.

Our room was fine for the price and location (Google Maps does NOT have this location marked properly, be warned, it's MUCH easier to get to, right off the main drag toward Sea Pines). While the bathroom was pretty tiny, it didn't really bother either of us. The pool was great -- clean and the area safe and comfortable, and she spent as much time as possible there, when we weren't roaming the island where I used to live.

I couldn't find a channel suitable for her to watch when I was showering, etc, so I was glad to have brought coloring books and the iPad along.

The staff was very helpful getting us to a beach with free parking, and we got there early enough that we got a great space. There's a BP right in front of the hotel, which is extremely nice for grabbing a quick snack before settling in for the night.

We were a bit late getting out of our room, but we weren't charged extra for a slight late check-out. I didn't want to leave the room sandy and yucky from our morning on the beach (I've worked guest services in hotels before and have great respect for housekeeping!) so I was glad I wasn't charged for trying to help tidy.

Thanks for helping my daughter have a great first trip to the beach!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the nice comments about your stay with us. I hope you bring your daughter back to visit us again in the near future. We will make sure the juice and pool are ready for her.