“Poor Hotel”

Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Brick, New Jersey
“Poor Hotel”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Recentley stayed at the Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island, SC (July 2012). Have actually stayed here before, it's close enough to us for an overnight trip, so we kinda knew what to expect, a 1-2 star hotel for about $120 total cost. Decent price for this time of year on the Island. But there dosen't seem to be any upkeep, such as the room door handle had to be held down from the inside to retract deadbolt in order to shut the door from outside and the first floor ice machine not producing ice. Or just normal amenities, there was a half roll of toilet paper in room, NO hot water in shower (slightly warm water came with zero pressure), no extra towels available, no refridgerator, iron, microwave or hair dryer (asked at desk and was told "we don't have any more hair dryers, people stole them"). Even though this hotel was a lesser cost for this beautiful island, it's still quite a bit of money for what you get.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MiDi-3513

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Budget was important, but safety and cleanliness were more important. I found this hotel room to be clean, bug-free (yes, I checked for visible bugs under each layer of covers each night) and it was safe. The room had no amenities - no fridge, iron, microwave at all. The continental breakfast was horrible. I found only a few pastries, instant grits (looking for oatmeal, none found) maybe some oranges and coffee. It did not meet the definition of basic free breakfast I have found at other hotels. However, right next door is a pancake restaurant. Pool was clean and inviting. Strong complaint against male attendant at 5:00 a.m. I had to check out to leave promptly to get to the airport. He could not find my reservation. Had to get original paperwork out for him to FIND my name. Next, I was told when I checked in that they would automatically charge me $1.50 per day for the in-room safe. I tried to get into the safe and could not access it anyway, so they said if you do not use it let them know upon check out and they would remove the charges. When I checked out with this attendant, he processed the bill and the charges were on my receipt. When I said I did not use the safe and please remove the charges, he said "You had to tell me to do that BEFORE I printed the bill. Yes, this is the very first time that the attendant could not adjust my bill of all of the hundreds of hotels I have been to. So, I could tell I wasn't going to get anywhere with this one, so I left to get to the airport. The next day I called and spoke with a daytime attendant. This one was very helpful and immediately removed the charges and credited them back.
She also said she would report the 5:00 a.m. attendant to her manager. Other than those things, the stay was adequate.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We are from out of state and have never been to Hilton Head Island before. As we pulled up to this hotel we were welcomed by a beautiful, clean, and well lit landscaped hotel. The hotel is nestled back from the main strip and surrounded by native Oak, Pine, and Palm trees. Having once lived in Seattle this hotel gave us a "at home" feel. We have now been here for 10 nights and staying two more. Growing up in the mid-west I have grown up staying at Red Roof Inns since I was 8 years old primarily because there brand is constant and budget friendly. By far this Red Roof Inn has been the nicest! My husband and I have traveled to 49/50 states together and to over 28 countries. We rarely go to the same place twice; however, next May I want to come back!!! Not only is this hotel exceptionally nice from the exterior the SERVICE from the front desk staff and the GM are also what make it special! The GM quickly introduced himself to me and gave us recommendations on his favorite places to eat and things to do-all of which we have done and have found great and fun! The front desk staff also gave us discount coupons to local restaurants and told us to show our room key to the breakfast restaurant next door for a discount, which was helpful! This hotel is very close to everything you need to do on a "Beach Vacation": VERY nice outdoor pool on location, 2.5 miles from beach, Subway sandwiches, grocery, gas station, over 50 restaurants, marina's, putt-putt golf, golf, all within half mile away!!! Our room has been very comfortable as well! We especially like the mini fridge, and microwave in our room. I highly recommend this hotel and excited to come back next May! Thank you to the staff of this hotel you made our vacation extra EXTRA nice!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Cumming, GA
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I was very leery of trying to book a motel at the last minute on such a tight budget. (We usually rent condos for a week, on the beach). This was a budget-wise three night getaway and price was so important. I read some nightmare stories on other motel websites in Hilton Head....some were priced twice as high as this one.

I read some positive reviews on here about this motel so cautiously, we booked it. We made jokes in the car the entire trip there about meeting "Mr. Cockroach" and how he and his family would be everywhere. WEll, the joke was on us. The place could not have been cleaner. I was so impressed with the cleanliness of the room that I told the general manager how much we appreciated it. He told us that when he took over this motel a few years ago, that wasn't the case. He hired the best known house cleaner in Hilton Head. She was SO good that she now is the trainer for all the house cleaners in the entire region. She cleans the rooms the old fashioned way, military style. Tightly made beds with fresh bedding every day. The bathrooms had absolutely no mold anywhere.

Extras: The room even had a nice big 32" Samsung Flatscreen TV, a small microwave, and a fully functioning mini-fridge with a tiny freezer on top. They serve a very limited continental breakfast but we didn't eat any of it so I can't comment on that. We dined out. Pool area was also clean. The made that area a little private by planting palm trees and bushes next to it so it can't be seen from the parking lot; nice touch.

The Negatives: Only negative would be I wish the water closet was larger. Tiny fit with the door swinging in right on top of the toilet. And there really needs to be a community bathroom near the pool. I wonder how many little tots pee in the pool because they would have to go all the way back to their rooms to use the bathroom.

Word to the Wise: Best time to visit HHI is during the week during the summer if you want a quieter, more refined crowd. We stayed Tues. to Fri., and we noticed on Thursday night, it got different. By Friday morning we were so glad to be leaving. It's sad to see HHI going the direction of more populated beaches like Myrtle Beach and Panama City Beach. Same environment here in HHI on the weekends. The beginning to mid week, it's much more quaint.

Hidden Gem: Kenny B's Cajun Seafood. GREAT recommendation by the staff here at the motel.

Overall: I was blown away over-all, of this modest motel!!!! Location is only about two miles from the beach.

Room Tip: Since someone said their room had a palmetto bug or two (I find that hard to believe actually), I wo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Wow!!! What amazing customer service. It is one thing to for a company to fix their mistake, but it is quite anther for them to fix someone else's mistake. I arrived to check in and was greeted by Tammy...I had booked through Priceline and Red Roof could not find the reservation. Tammy was extremely understanding, helpful and tried to do everything that she could to find the reservation . After about 20 minutes of looking for the reservation and talking to a Priceline representative, the issue had finally been handled. Sean (the gm) went above and beyond and put my family in a two bedroom suite with a separate living area. The room and the grounds are exceptionally clean and welcoming...my daughter kept saying that it felt like home. I could not be more satisfied with the customer service...the employees here definitely made a rough situation a lot better. Next time we are in the area we will definitely be staying here! Thank you Red Roof Inn!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SarahIndy
Santee, South Carolina
Reviewed June 11, 2012

With a daughter on HHI,so we have stayed here three times. Never been disappointed. Has HDTV, phone, Wi-Fi (free), light breakfast, pool and adequate parking. Excellent location - two miles to best public beach, best breakfast restaurant on HHI next door, near marinas and Harbour Town entry, back from the roadway. Accepts pets - dogs allowed on the HHI beach 5PM to 10AM. Excellent regular and senior rates Sep thru May; more expensive in the summer, particularly weekends, but use pre-paid reservation to save a little. Best value on the island, but is a modest chain not a "resort". Friendly staff, nice rooms.We will return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chermol
Ohio
Reviewed May 20, 2012

When we checked in, Sean was very polite and informative. We didnt like being in the back parking lot where he placed us. So we went down to talk to him and he arranged us to stay in a room facing the pool. Upon entering, the room was nice and appeared clean. Nice flat screen TV's...but too bad picture quality was so bad. Plus its appears they govern the volume as you can hardly hear some of the programs. The grounds were nice but there was a tampax wrapper stuck to the stair that seemed to have been there for a long time. At least it was while we were there. But this is what gets me....one of the things that made me choose this place was that they offered 'in room coffee' REALLY? All it is, is a small heating devise that heats water and they offer instant coffee. Gross! However, if you go all the way down to the office, they do offer coffee that is kept in those hot air pots. I went there a few times and I do have to say, the coffee was good and it was hot. Also the juice machine had a sign on it that juice is only offered in season. WHAT? What season would that be?? Like as if its fresh. Im sure the apple, orange and there was another, is never fresh no matter what season, Another thing was I never in my life stayed in a motel that didnt offer boxes of Kleenex. Oh they had tissue there...a little pocket pack of 10 tissues. Unacceptable. Last ....I realize the area is south and there are plenty bugs. The first nite we were there, there was a roach on the ceiling of the bathroom. Luckily I got that one. Then the nite before we left, there was a roach, palmetto bug whatever they are called on the floor of the bathroom. Thank god we come prepared just in case and brought along Raid. That did him in. After that, since it was already 2am, I couldnt fall back to sleep and we left. I only hope and pray we didnt take one of them home with us
Do I recommend staying there, yes. All in all it was nice. Thats if you can get past some of these issues.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple