“Finally, a CLEAN, Affordable Motel”

Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I was very leery of trying to book a motel at the last minute on such a tight budget. (We usually rent condos for a week, on the beach). This was a budget-wise three night getaway and price was so important. I read some nightmare stories on other motel websites in Hilton Head....some were priced twice as high as this one.

I read some positive reviews on here about this motel so cautiously, we booked it. We made jokes in the car the entire trip there about meeting "Mr. Cockroach" and how he and his family would be everywhere. WEll, the joke was on us. The place could not have been cleaner. I was so impressed with the cleanliness of the room that I told the general manager how much we appreciated it. He told us that when he took over this motel a few years ago, that wasn't the case. He hired the best known house cleaner in Hilton Head. She was SO good that she now is the trainer for all the house cleaners in the entire region. She cleans the rooms the old fashioned way, military style. Tightly made beds with fresh bedding every day. The bathrooms had absolutely no mold anywhere.

Extras: The room even had a nice big 32" Samsung Flatscreen TV, a small microwave, and a fully functioning mini-fridge with a tiny freezer on top. They serve a very limited continental breakfast but we didn't eat any of it so I can't comment on that. We dined out. Pool area was also clean. The made that area a little private by planting palm trees and bushes next to it so it can't be seen from the parking lot; nice touch.

The Negatives: Only negative would be I wish the water closet was larger. Tiny fit with the door swinging in right on top of the toilet. And there really needs to be a community bathroom near the pool. I wonder how many little tots pee in the pool because they would have to go all the way back to their rooms to use the bathroom.

Word to the Wise: Best time to visit HHI is during the week during the summer if you want a quieter, more refined crowd. We stayed Tues. to Fri., and we noticed on Thursday night, it got different. By Friday morning we were so glad to be leaving. It's sad to see HHI going the direction of more populated beaches like Myrtle Beach and Panama City Beach. Same environment here in HHI on the weekends. The beginning to mid week, it's much more quaint.

Hidden Gem: Kenny B's Cajun Seafood. GREAT recommendation by the staff here at the motel.

Overall: I was blown away over-all, of this modest motel!!!! Location is only about two miles from the beach.

Room Tip: Since someone said their room had a palmetto bug or two (I find that hard to believe actually), I wo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Hilton Head Island

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Wow!!! What amazing customer service. It is one thing to for a company to fix their mistake, but it is quite anther for them to fix someone else's mistake. I arrived to check in and was greeted by Tammy...I had booked through Priceline and Red Roof could not find the reservation. Tammy was extremely understanding, helpful and tried to do everything that she could to find the reservation . After about 20 minutes of looking for the reservation and talking to a Priceline representative, the issue had finally been handled. Sean (the gm) went above and beyond and put my family in a two bedroom suite with a separate living area. The room and the grounds are exceptionally clean and welcoming...my daughter kept saying that it felt like home. I could not be more satisfied with the customer service...the employees here definitely made a rough situation a lot better. Next time we are in the area we will definitely be staying here! Thank you Red Roof Inn!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SarahIndy
Reviewed June 11, 2012

With a daughter on HHI,so we have stayed here three times. Never been disappointed. Has HDTV, phone, Wi-Fi (free), light breakfast, pool and adequate parking. Excellent location - two miles to best public beach, best breakfast restaurant on HHI next door, near marinas and Harbour Town entry, back from the roadway. Accepts pets - dogs allowed on the HHI beach 5PM to 10AM. Excellent regular and senior rates Sep thru May; more expensive in the summer, particularly weekends, but use pre-paid reservation to save a little. Best value on the island, but is a modest chain not a "resort". Friendly staff, nice rooms.We will return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chermol
Reviewed May 20, 2012

When we checked in, Sean was very polite and informative. We didnt like being in the back parking lot where he placed us. So we went down to talk to him and he arranged us to stay in a room facing the pool. Upon entering, the room was nice and appeared clean. Nice flat screen TV's...but too bad picture quality was so bad. Plus its appears they govern the volume as you can hardly hear some of the programs. The grounds were nice but there was a tampax wrapper stuck to the stair that seemed to have been there for a long time. At least it was while we were there. But this is what gets me....one of the things that made me choose this place was that they offered 'in room coffee' REALLY? All it is, is a small heating devise that heats water and they offer instant coffee. Gross! However, if you go all the way down to the office, they do offer coffee that is kept in those hot air pots. I went there a few times and I do have to say, the coffee was good and it was hot. Also the juice machine had a sign on it that juice is only offered in season. WHAT? What season would that be?? Like as if its fresh. Im sure the apple, orange and there was another, is never fresh no matter what season, Another thing was I never in my life stayed in a motel that didnt offer boxes of Kleenex. Oh they had tissue there...a little pocket pack of 10 tissues. Unacceptable. Last ....I realize the area is south and there are plenty bugs. The first nite we were there, there was a roach on the ceiling of the bathroom. Luckily I got that one. Then the nite before we left, there was a roach, palmetto bug whatever they are called on the floor of the bathroom. Thank god we come prepared just in case and brought along Raid. That did him in. After that, since it was already 2am, I couldnt fall back to sleep and we left. I only hope and pray we didnt take one of them home with us
Do I recommend staying there, yes. All in all it was nice. Thats if you can get past some of these issues.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traveler1Ohio
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed in Hilton Head at the Red Roof for four nights. On the outside, it seems to be a pretty standard old motel, but all of the Red Roofs have been recently (5-7 years?) renovated to appear more upscale and modern. I appreciate that they're trying to keep their properties kept up and refreshed every now and then, rather than some of the other motels I've seen that have stayed the same since the 80s-90s. I'd say the Red Roof is about the best cheap motel you'll find, but it is still a motel and still has the same motel feel.

The staff was very friendly upon check-in. The room we had booked was a king with a mini-fridge and a microwave. Upon arriving to the room, everything was clean, but we realized that neither the fridge nor the microwave worked. This was a little frustrating because we had some food we would've liked to keep cold and heat up later. We were told that it was too late to be moved to another room and that the maintenance staff would address it in the morning. For that night, they would reduce our rate from $59.99 to $39.99. I was okay with this, and the staff was apologetic and friendly about the issue. I filled up a cooler with ice and kept our food in there for the night.

The next day, I called again and was told that they could move us to one of the suites (their best rooms) at the same rate. It was a little annoying to have to change rooms, but overall I was very happy with this. The suite was very nice: two separate rooms, each with a flatscreen TV and dresser, an eating area, a sofa bed, and of course a king bed. We stayed here for the remaining 3 nights of our stay.

On the last night, we decided to try out the pool. It wasn't terrible, but I guess it could've been cleaner. Still better than most motel pools. I'd rather swim at the beach, but if you've had a few drinks (as I had) and it's late at night, hey, why not. The Red Roof is a little closer to the beach than some of the other motels we noticed on the way in. It's only about 5 minutes to Coligny Beach or Singleton Beach.

There is no continental breakfast, but they have coffee 24 hours a day in the lobby (with hazelnut/french vanilla creamer--this was more important to us than it would've been for others!), which also has a small cafe area. The front desk staff was always helpful with our questions or anything we needed during our stay. Stack's, the pancake restaurant right next door, is highly recommended. They are open for breakfast and lunch. Definitely go here for breakfast; they have a buffet on Saturday and Sunday too.

Finally, since anyone staying in the area might encounter this: if you are ambushed by a guy outside of Stack's offering a tour of a timeshare, DO IT. Sit through the 90 minute sales presentation, and get your free dinner cruise. Don't be fooled by the promise of a 7-day resort vacation; that's a scam, but the dinner cruise is legit, aside from the $15 boarding fee you have to pay. By all means though, SAY NO to the timeshare. Just a warning based on the amount of people I saw doing this who might not be as educated on how terrible timeshares are...you can pay as little as a penny for what the guy was trying to sell us for $17k (and even a penny is too much because of the outrageous maintenance fees). You might have to deal with some jerky salesmen to get the dinner cruise, but it was one of the best parts of our trip, so it was worth it.

That was off-topic, but I thought it was worthy to mention. Overall, our stay was great despite some bad weather, and I was very pleased that we only paid $250 for a four-night stay, three of which were in a suite. The problems we encountered were fixed to my satisfaction. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Hilton Head if you're on a budget.

Room Tip: Go for the suite if you'll be in the area for a week or so
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lukeh8400
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Sarah at the front desk was extremely welcoming during check-in and even better throughout our stay in answering questions about the area. It's obvious management preaches customer service to hotel employees, and that combined with your typical Southern charm made for a great stay. We stayed in an upstairs suite, which was nicely sized and well decorated. The location of the hotel was convenient to beaches, shopping, and dining, and the hotel staff was great at recommending local eateries. GREAT STAY!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank summertravels88
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Best deal in Hilton Head. Super clean and the service was so great you would think I was their family! Couldn't believe how nice everything was for $54 a night. Quant and comfortable stay.

Stayed: April 2012