“Roach Heaven” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Hilton Head

Motel 6 Hilton Head
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hilton Head
Motel 6 Hilton Head
You added Motel 6 Hilton Head to your Saves list
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Tampa
“Roach Heaven”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

This is one of the dirtiest place I have ever visited. Not only was our room infested with cockroaches but it was also plain dirty. Unfortunately, we reached late and had a dog so we could not go anywhere else, but you can! We had to leave a light on to avoid major bug attacks and I spent most of my night killing bugs and hiding under a sheet. The hotel staff tried to help by giving us roach killer but there was not much else they could do. Consider yourself warned! Management ended up giving us a refund after I told them about our experience.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Condition.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank LaCastafiore

Business
United states
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

This wasn't my most favorite motel ever, not even my most favorite Motel 6 but I've stayed worse places. The front desk woman was nice but the room smelled (in part from the waste water treatment plant out back). The heat smelled like a burning cat. The volume on the TV wouldn't turn down very far. There were cigarette burns on the blanket (in a no smoking room). The bathroom door wouldn't shut tight. There was a wierd noise coming from the bathroom. There was mold on the wall. It was pretty cheap, which was good, but not very near teh beach which was not so good. On the whole it was an average Motel 6...but don't you think they could strive for better than average? By the way, those 2 inch roaches that people mention aren't roaches, they're palmetto bugs. Yes they're disgusting but they're everywhere in the south, even at the high class resorts. Ignore them and they won't hurt you. Don't step on them unless you want a huge mess to clean up.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — Loud TV/smell
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
columbus, oh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

I can't count how many baby roaches we killed. However, I can count the larger ones. Four medium Roaches, and one that was almost 2 inches long. I found that one when I rolled over at 5:30 AM and looked off the side of the bed and it was right below my face. However, that part of the experience pales in comparission to the fact I have bites of some kind all over the top of my neck around my hair line, and I have a rash on my belly, and a bite on my arm that is causing itching, pain and heat to spread out my arm. The hotel seemed like it was in a decent area. However, once we checked in, there was a sign on the inside of the door that said "For your safety, while in room, lock dead bolt and Security chain". The problem with this was that the strick plate for the dead bolt wasn't placed correctly on the door frame so the dead bolt wouldn't actually go into the hole to lock. I guess I should have know we made a mistake when we went to the ice machine, and the vending machine had condoms in it along side the snack bags of pretzels and chips!! I will say that the guy working behind the front desk was one of the most helpful and friendly people we met on the island, which initially made us feel comfortable in our decision to check in. However, nice employees aren't a return visit when we return for vacation next year. All I can say is, it wasn't a bargain if I have to go to the Dr. for my rash and bites and even worse, if I brought home any of the roaches in my bags and have to exterminate my house!!

• Liked — Nice staff at front desk
  • Disliked — Roaches, bites, rash, hole in floor under carpet, dead bolt didn't work, space under door to outside, ect, ect
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank mysubastas
Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

We were very happy about this motel last year. But this year, the room wasn't clean and cockroaches were everywhere.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank marinaGeorgia
south Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

This motel sits right next to a waste treatment building and really stinks most of the time. The doors don't fit properly, so the aroma gets into the rooms.

Since it's a pet motel, the rooms smell apart from the waste center next door.

The hotel caters to migrant workers, so there are lots of people who are working and not on vacation.

The pool is small and one is suspicious of the cleanliness based on the conditions of the old rooms.

The staff is somewhat indiferent and apparently created some charge problems for me that i have to clear up with my charge company.

Say away.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank Poppercello
Hilton Head Island, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2006

I won't report any violent criminal activity, but I was approached by prostitutes and drug dealers. As for the decor being described as "old English", I'd just call it OLD...as in Goodwill, curbside, etc.

The room was dirty, disgusting and greasy! You can find better accomodations elsewhere for the same, or not much more money. Hilton Head Beach & Tennis club has condos right on the ocean in this price range. I reccomend staying away from Motel 6 at all costs! Especially for families.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The room and certain other "guests"
  • Tips/Secrets — Go Anywhere Else!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank JimmyJeff
Omaha, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

Didn't have the cleanliness issues a few others did, we were very pleased with how big the room was, it didn't have the table and chairs by the window most motels have, but then again we didn't travel over 1300 miles to sit at a table in our room either. Pool was great, front desk was very friendly, the only problem I had was returning to the room just as housekeeping was closing the door, and had found that she had just finished using my lotion. (this was apparent by the overwhelming smell of cucumber melon, and the wet hand prints on the lotion bottle). While it may sound very petty, I did not appreciate my personal products being used, without permission, and made me wonder if housekeeping was bold enough to do this, what else had she helped herself to? I voiced my concern to the front desk, and was told I would be contacted by management, which was not done. Since this is not a huge issue, I decided if my little bit of lotion helped relieve someones dry and cracked hands, so be it, and let it go. I'm sure we would stay again, they are in a great location, and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2005