“Nice hotel”

Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Normally my wife and I stay at a Hampton Inn on our travels (on my business travels, I stayed mostly at Marriott Courtyards.). Since the Hilton Garden in Hilton Head reviewed better than did the Hampton Inn there, we decided to give it a shot. After staying there, I don't think it was any better than most Hampton Inns we've stayed at (many, many).

Reception was good - quick and pleasant (received by Rita, a delightful lass from Hungary - we've found more and more eastern European young folk in the restaurant and hotel service here in the States. They've all been pleasant, educated, well spoken, in perfect command of the English language, and just generally a delight with which to interface.) Like the yummy cookies at check-in. We found Rita again at breakfast serving the guests.

The room, to me, seemed a bit smaller than the average Hampton Inn room. The bathroom approached tiny. The HVAC unit in the room was one of the noisiest I've experienced in a long time. And it didn't work correctly (the knobs did not do what they were supposed to - luckily the temperatures had turned relatively cool outside and the window unit did not have to run that long). A surprise was that, although there was a thermostat on the wall, we fond a note saying that the HVAC unit was controlled by the built-in unit controls. Normally one would find it the other way around - a note on the window unit saying that the temperature was controlled by the thermopstat on the wall. Not sure why thermostats were installed if they were not to be used???

Other than the thru-wall HVAC unit, we had no complaints about the room. It seemed clean and well appointed. The TV was lackluster - picture was dim and "dirty." But we didn't really need the TV.

Breakfast was great. I was worried that since I noticed at check-in that the size of the breakfast room was not all that large, that there might not be sufficient seating for all. There was - no problem. I had eggs to order and there was bacon, sausage, potatoes, grits, and, for the Southern clientele, biscuits and gravy. There was an assortment of the de rigueur juices, pastries, fruits, and cereals. My wife had here usual bowl of cold cereal. I got my $9.95's (the cost of the breakfast) worth at breakfast, my wife did not.

I did enjoy been able to park under the hotel at their ground level parking.

Getting into the hotel is a bit esoteric if you're coming from the west headed east toward the Island. I had to taker the bridge over to the island, make a U-turn (not easiest to do in the continuous traffic that never stops). I asked at reception how I should have gotten into the hotel. You have to turn into the road between two gas stations that appear before the hotel, then wend your way on a service road into the hotel - not explained at all on the hotel's web site (not , at least, that I could find). You'll have to miss it once, then you'll know how after you ask at the hotel after you arrive.

All-in-all a nice hotel, but I didn't find it all that exceptional as some reviewers did.

1 Thank Pfadfinder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Columbia, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2013

From the moment we arrived and Justin greeted us with a smile and a cookie, our stay was definitely one we enjoyed and will recommend as a convenient place to stay when visiting friends both in Bluffton and on HHI. The breakfast was wonderful. The laundry facilities were clean as was everything else in the hotel. Would stay there again except I don't have any desire to return to Hilton Head. Hope everyone has as pleasant a stay as we did.

1 Thank George W
Bend, United States
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I am 71 years old and have done a lot of traveling in my time. This stay with the Hilton Garden Inn has got to be the best experience thus far. The price, room, friendly and helpful staff, and breakfast were all outstanding.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

2 Thank Lloyd P
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

I have been staying at this HGI for the past 4 years and it's never been a disappointment . I recently completed a 4 night stay and once again it was excellent. The outstanding staff and GM Greg is what makes this hotel great. Clean room and great service. As a Hilton Diamond Member I stay in hilton about 300 nights a year and this HGI ranks in the top 3 hotels I have stayed in. I would like to say Rita was always very friendly and made my stay that much more enjoyable. I highly recommend this hotel to all travelers! Thank you to Greg and his entire staff for another great stay from check in to check out!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris G
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 20, 2013

lobby bright and inviting...this is not to be said of the room. dingy and dirty carpet...I mean really stained. this is strictly an travelling salesman type hotel..but lovely pool and good breakfast. that s the most positive I can make this report.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank marilou0902
Apollo Beach, FL
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton Head Island, SC last night. Although the hotel is not "on" the island, you can't get any closer to the bridge leading to the island. Very nice, clean accommodations, convenient to the island and the area. Clean room, comfy bed with memory foam topper, and nice breakfast variety (hot & cold) in the morning. Many items in the room have been recently updated and include a pod coffee maker, frig & microwave. You don't have to pay $9.95 for the breakfast, you can skip the hot, made to order items, and only pay $4.00.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GreatDayTraveling
Reviewed October 19, 2013

First and foremost, I'm a frequent visitor to many Hilton Garden Inn (HGI) hotels for business and personal travel accommodation. This is my very first HGI property that did not meet my expectation/ standards that I have experienced since staying with this hotel chain. The interior decor of this hotel needs to be upgraded. The bathroom tub/shower area needs updating. ( very substandard to other HGI) The most disappointing issues were the dirty/stained carpet in the room and the MANY worn/torn table chairs in the dining area ( particularly the seat cushion was so bad that you could feel the chair frame on my bottom while seated) I will say that the service and people were great.

For the cost or points required to stay at this HGI property, I'd highly recommend an alternative hotel property some where else in Hilton Head . I've stayed at other Hilton properties that were a whole lot nicer accommodations for a lot less cost/points.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel until the property has upgraded the decor and furniture in rooms and lobby...
2 Thank Sting89
Greg-Burnes B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey sent to you regarding your recent experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head. The entire team review each comment and survey submitted on a daily basis. We take great pride in following up on suggestions, and celebrations addressed by our guests. I am saddened to see that your experience was not promising. It is always our intention to honor our guests and Hilton through a strong service and product. Recognizing the need to create a more social area, the property will be refurbishing the entire lobby area and adding Dinner and Lounge service in the latter part of this year. We are excited to offer a more robust option to guests working or visiting the island. All guests rooms are also receiving a chemical free carpet cleaning removing the excess oils that have transferred into the property from the repaving of Rte. 278. Honored guests such as yourself is why we are here. We hope to earn you back. Greg Burnes – General Manager greg.burnes@hilton.com