“Loyal Hilton traveler”

Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

When I travel, which is a week every month I always stay at Hilton. This was a last minute vacation where I used my points to stay free. We figured we would stay here due to convenience to HHI. Overall the hotel was very nice, but I have stayed at better Hilton Garden Inns before. There was some mold in shower, bit due to humidity I can somewhat understand. The vent in bathroom also didn't seem to work. My only concern was they may have a problem with bed bugs though I am not sure. I woke up one morning with a few blood spots on sheet but had no visible scratches. My wife and I also felt like we had been bitten a few morning when we woke up. Again, I have never experienced bed bugs before so I am not entirely sure this is the case.

• Stayed: August 2013
Greg-Burnes B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

First of all I would like to thank you for being a Hilton Honors member. We are very thankful for your loyalty to the brand. Although the summer brings very warm weather with high humidity your shower should always remain clean. The hotel’s ventilation system is different than a residential unit which has a small motor in every bathroom. The hotel’s is centralized and vented out of the building. I have spoken to my engineer to confirm the system is running properly. He has made minor adjustments addressing the needs related to this season. Regarding bed bugs. Our housekeeping team have individually been trained to recognize the first sign of any activity in the rooms, bed and property. Furthermore, our beds are made of air baffles. The wool zippered pillow top is inspected and laundered regularly. Any sign of activity creates a quarantine of the entire room. Bed bugs like to hide inside the mattresses, and inside the wooden framing of box springs and picture frames. Our mattresses are full of cylindrical tubes of air with platforms. No box springs. There are no springs or filler for them to burrow into. As you can see, we have taken great lengths to assure your comfort is bed bug free. You did mention you were here for vacation. It is very likely you were on the beach or in contact with Spanish Moss hanging on the Live Oak trees throughout the area. Sand fleas are very prevalent on the beaches as chiggers are in the Spanish Moss. A good rule to follow is rinse off before leaving the beach and never handle Spanish Moss. Both tips will help you enjoy your vacation without interruption. We look forward to having you back to the area in the near future. Greg Burnes-General Manager greg.burnes@hilton.com.

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Upon check-in the front desk person was so busy answering phones while checking me in, I felt rushed and unable to ask any questions.
The room air conditioner kept us awake coming on and off with no way to adjust! Poor nights sleep.
I am a Hilton Honors Member and normally love the Hilton hotels.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for stating you thoughts regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head. It is our largest priority to make each person feel special when coming to the property. We welcome any questions that you may have. Each team member is eager to answer any you may have. I am sorry that the active phone lines dampened that experience. During the summer months it is imperative to keep the air conditioners cycling allowing the rooms to remain comfortable for all of our guests. Yet, that cycling should not interfere with your rest. Our engineering department continuously check the units for optimum performance. Any system that is too loud or not operating properly is repaired or replaced before another guest stays in the room. During the summer heat w/ average humidity of 89% the systems run often. It saddens me to learn your system negatively influenced your stay. We thank you for your loyalty to the Hilton family and look forward to earning your business next visit to Hilton Head. Greg Burnes – General Manager greg.burnes@hilton.com.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

3 of us stayed the third week of July & were happy with almost everything. Room was very clean with no smells, perfect for allergic people like us. We had 2 TVs in our room & 2 computers to use right down the hall. There was a $20 coupon in the nearby Tanger Outlets booklet (free with an AARP card) which we used. Breakfast was $10 for an adult but 2 kids can eat free with each purchase. The omelets were wonderful & there was a lot to choose from overall - we were impressed. They were out of coffee cups, napkins & more but they quickly put those out after I mentioned it. We loved the soft, cushy beds & it was quiet enough to sleep well! The outdoor pool seemed to be clean although we did not use it, the security seems to be very good & there were free cookies & coffee in the front for customers. The only problems: a snotty girl taking the breakfast money AND the elevator from the entry way up to the front desk was broken, forcing people to climb the tall stairs w/their suitcases. Since there is no traffic light at the hotel entrance, it is a bit tricky getting in & out. Just have to be careful......

Room Tip: Call ahead of time to ask the front desk person. They were very helpful to us.
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. My sister and I shared a queen suite and were delighted by the size and amenities of the room. The staff was most helpful and the breakfast was fantastic and fairly priced. I had previously reserved a room at another Hilton Head hotel, but after reading horrible reviews on Trip Advisor, I cancelled and booked Hilton Garden Inn. I am so very glad I did. The only issue may be having to drive back and forth over the bridge (and pay) each time to get to beach and island activities.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The front desk staff was friendly and curtious through out my stay. The breakfast was ample, the staff attendende promptly to the food and filling where necessary. The room was fresh and clean upon my arrival, and throughout my stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We checked into the hotel over a very busy July 4th weekend. We were given an extremely large room however the stench was overwhelming from cleaning chemicals. This should have been a sign to us that the hotel was trying to hide something. We were told that the last room available was the room they were providing us. This room had a similar smell but it seemed a bit "softer" than the room before. Of course this new room didn't have towels etc. This was soon remedied by the front desk however upon further inspection of the room we found mold in the bathroom, at the vents, stains in the carpet etc. It was pretty much a disgrace.
The next morning we had breakfast in the hotel. At $10 per person we thought we couldn't go wrong. Well we did. The food was tasteless and there weren't any utensils or napkins available. Money wasted. We left for the beach and came back hours later to a room that had not been made. We were so annoyed with the hotel and the poor service it wasn't even worth a call to
the front desk.

5  Thank BagLadyAtl
Greg-Burnes B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for sharing your latest experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Hilton Head, as every comment our guests make is vital to our success. Our number one opportunity to make things right is while our guests are still on property and I am sorry that did not occur. I have discussed your concerns with the housekeeping staff regarding the overpowering scent to make sure future guests do not have this same experience. We have already adjusted the Aaon unit to achieve standard humidity levels even when near 90-100% humidity outside like during July 4th weekend. Though we are all excited about the re-surfacing project on Fording Island Rd, it has created some challenges with tracking in tar and oil throughout our hotel. Carpeted areas affected by this will be serviced later this month. You’ll be happy to hear that in December we will be undergoing a renovation to refresh our lobby and breakfast area, the new update will allow us to better serve all guests in the future. In the meantime, we have worked to address the seating challenges with our team. Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will give us another opportunity on your next visit to Hilton Head. Greg Burnes – General Manager greg.burnes@hilton.com

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel is just what I expected. Clean, upscale and location was great...easy access to shopping and the beach is just a short drive away. The staff was very helpful and breakfast was wonderful! Fresh baked cookies at the desk was also a nice treat.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends