“Beauty is only skin deep”

Park Lane Hotel and Suites
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed October 28, 2010

The hotel was in a decent location, along the main stretch of highway near the middle of the island. The hotel looks nice and has a few amenities, such as an outdoor pool and a small children's playground, and the rooms even have granite countertops and full kitchens. On closer inspection, however, some things were not up to par.
We addressed several maintenance concerns when we first checked in to our room, and they did address those concerns in a timely manner. We are appreciative for that, but they should not have been concerns in the first place. For example, the cover on the air conditioning unit was broken off, and when my wife went to turn the air down, the knob popped off (easily replaceable). The bathroom sink stopper was broke, and when you turn the water on and off in that sink you can hear the pipes rattle. From our room you could hear the elevator going up and down, and dinging when it got to its floor. Also, our bed had a less-than-desireable mattress; not terrible, but it sank in the middle. The kitchen also lacked a few basic things (that other similar places have had) such as measuring cups, salt and pepper, dish soap for the sink (they had it for the dishwasher), and a coffee maker.
We were also not expecting a single room suite; all the suites we have stayed in at this point have been at least two rooms (usually a bedroom and a separate kitchen/living room). This allowed us in the past to put our kids to bed while staying up in the separate room, but it was difficult here.
Oh, and the second day of our stay, all our hotel key cards stopped working for our room and we had to go and get them scanned again at the front desk. Also, we noticed that the hot tub was not very hot, only lukewarm (the pool was too cold to swim in at this time of year).
Again, the hotel did address our maintenance concerns in a timely manner, and it is situated in a decent location. We did have enough foresight to bring some kitchen things (you never know what kitchens may have for cooking) and so we were able to cook two out of three meals at our room rather than paying to eat out.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank alpengeistt
There are newer reviews for Park Lane Hotel and Suites

Reviewed October 8, 2010

The queen loft rooms offer two full baths and alot of space. The pull-out sofa is comfortable for a second bed. Granite counters in the kitchens and baths, fireplaces, and a small balcony really make this place nice. Location is a little out of the way but bikes can help get you to the beach in about 10 minutes. Be aware that this hotel doubles as a timeshare, so you will likely receive a sales pitch call. You can turn it down, of course. I found the rates directly from the hotel are just as cheap or cheaper than those available on the travel websites.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2010

We checked in at the appointed time of 4 p.m. and were given a first floor room, which to our surprise had a full kitchenette. Two queen beds that were very comfortable. Room and bathroom were clean. Towels were very nice. Pool towels available at the front desk. Very nice pool area, and we were amoung the few to use it. If you are looking for any beach front or beach views, bring a telescope since this property is no where near the beach. It is centrally located, and most things are a 5 minute ride away.
I would suggest requesting a 3rd floor room in building A overlooking the pool. Some of them have very nice sized balconies. Good place for the price.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Arrived around 2pm, after booking the hotel loft suite prior. The front desk woman was NOT the sort of person one should hire for that role!! She was arrogant and had the attitude "why are you bothering me"!! She answered questions in a monotone , with the fewest words as possible!! She was VERY UNHELPFUL in explaining how to get to our loft suite! I felt uncomfortable asking her things after all that!
WORSE OF ALL, the upstairs loft room WAS FULL OF COCKROACHES!!!! ALIVE AND DEAD!! dOWNSTAIRS THEY WERE DEAD. Gross, gross.
The so called Managers were NO help!! They basically said "its the South, EVERY hotel and home has these and they are called Palmetto bugs!!!". Whatever they are called it is disgusting that a hotel, in a great area with lovely rooms, could allow such filth to infestate their hotel!! I could understand one maybe daed one, since they said they just sprayed, but SEVERAL , NO, nO, nO!!!
Thought it may have been just our loft rooms, but on leaving the hotel I overheard a man complaining about the COCKROACHES/( palmetto bugs, same thing) He said he was oing to check out because his place too had LOADS of these pests.
Come on hotel owners get better staff and get a better pest control company. You have a SERIOUS problem in both areas. Could handle rude staff, but do NOT expec t to share my $140-00 loft suite, with SEVERAL LIVING COCKROACHES .
Its also a health concern.
I therefore would NOT come back to stay! It's a pity as it is a great building with nice amenities and good location!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2010

When we arrived we where pleasantly surprised by how nice the hotel was but the first room we where given was a 2 queen beed unit and it was very small and kind of felt like sleeping in a kitchen, we complained and they put us in one of the loft units much nicer bedroom upstairs and full coach downstars it was really nice no continental breakfast though and no beach shuttle but all in all a great for the price

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2010

The cost was ok. We however had to move 3 times. First room smelled like smoke. Next room they put us in the cooling system dripped terribly. Luckily, none of our clothes were close by or they would have gotten soaked. We wanted to be comped a room, because its no fun to have to take up vacation time to move. I don't know what they ended up doing, because the owner did not call us. We were told we would "just see on our card". I think we got a night free, but have not seen our statement yet. The room otherwise was nice enough. Big enough. The beds comfortable. We enjoyed use of the oven, stove and microwave. All worked.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JPPA66
Reviewed June 26, 2010

We checked into Park Lane at 5:50pm. After trekking it up to our room (with a small dog-which should have been my first clue that things would not go well), we opened the door to be greeted with a room that was 86 degrees. The thermostat was set at 68 degrees. We called down to the front desk, and the said maintenance would be up shortly to look into it. Fifteen minutes later, after no one had arrived, my husband called the front desk again. He requested a new room, but the person at the front desk was not listening to him-while on the phone with my husband the front desk employee was talking to someone else as well-the employee insisted that someone from maintenance was coming to check on the room. Ten minutes later, no one was there. So I sat out in the hallway-since the room was now 87 degrees and my husband went down the front desk to ask for a new room. Of course, they did not have a new room available- but we were told "we're working on it". While I was sitting in the hallway maintenance arrived at our room, only after knocking on the wrong door TWICE. The person my husband spoke with at the front desk told maintenance the wrong room number TWICE. If the front desk employee would have LISTENED to my husband when he called, we would not have had to wait 40 minutes to get into our hotel room. We got another room-just as we were going to complain the maintenance guy stepped off of the elevator and handed us keys to another room in the other building.

I am writing this review the morning after what happened. I am sitting in the hotel right now. I decided to write this review because at 9:20am this morning, housekeeping was going up and down the hallway knocking on doors saying "housekeeping". We check out at 11am-why are you knocking on our door? Shouldn't you have a master list of what rooms are occupied and which are not? Who is checking out and who is not? I called the front desk and after three attempts to reach the front desk, someone finally picked up. I asked to speak with the manager, when I asked her why housekeeping was knocking on doors so early she said "I don't have an answer for you, they normally do not do that this early. I will work on it". I am thankful that she was kind about it-but unfortunately, I am awake now one my first day of vacation after traveling hours to get here.

The rooms are nice, beds are comfortable, there is free high speed internet and the hotel is pet friendly. But for the price we paid, $155.00 +$50.00 (pet fee)=$205.00, I expected much better service. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple