“Nice Place, but not if you want a beach.”

Park Lane Hotel and Suites
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Conway, SC
“Nice Place, but not if you want a beach.”
Reviewed September 23, 2010

We checked in at the appointed time of 4 p.m. and were given a first floor room, which to our surprise had a full kitchenette. Two queen beds that were very comfortable. Room and bathroom were clean. Towels were very nice. Pool towels available at the front desk. Very nice pool area, and we were amoung the few to use it. If you are looking for any beach front or beach views, bring a telescope since this property is no where near the beach. It is centrally located, and most things are a 5 minute ride away.
I would suggest requesting a 3rd floor room in building A overlooking the pool. Some of them have very nice sized balconies. Good place for the price.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Arrived around 2pm, after booking the hotel loft suite prior. The front desk woman was NOT the sort of person one should hire for that role!! She was arrogant and had the attitude "why are you bothering me"!! She answered questions in a monotone , with the fewest words as possible!! She was VERY UNHELPFUL in explaining how to get to our loft suite! I felt uncomfortable asking her things after all that!
WORSE OF ALL, the upstairs loft room WAS FULL OF COCKROACHES!!!! ALIVE AND DEAD!! dOWNSTAIRS THEY WERE DEAD. Gross, gross.
The so called Managers were NO help!! They basically said "its the South, EVERY hotel and home has these and they are called Palmetto bugs!!!". Whatever they are called it is disgusting that a hotel, in a great area with lovely rooms, could allow such filth to infestate their hotel!! I could understand one maybe daed one, since they said they just sprayed, but SEVERAL , NO, nO, nO!!!
Thought it may have been just our loft rooms, but on leaving the hotel I overheard a man complaining about the COCKROACHES/( palmetto bugs, same thing) He said he was oing to check out because his place too had LOADS of these pests.
Come on hotel owners get better staff and get a better pest control company. You have a SERIOUS problem in both areas. Could handle rude staff, but do NOT expec t to share my $140-00 loft suite, with SEVERAL LIVING COCKROACHES .
Its also a health concern.
I therefore would NOT come back to stay! It's a pity as it is a great building with nice amenities and good location!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed September 3, 2010

When we arrived we where pleasantly surprised by how nice the hotel was but the first room we where given was a 2 queen beed unit and it was very small and kind of felt like sleeping in a kitchen, we complained and they put us in one of the loft units much nicer bedroom upstairs and full coach downstars it was really nice no continental breakfast though and no beach shuttle but all in all a great for the price

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed August 10, 2010

The cost was ok. We however had to move 3 times. First room smelled like smoke. Next room they put us in the cooling system dripped terribly. Luckily, none of our clothes were close by or they would have gotten soaked. We wanted to be comped a room, because its no fun to have to take up vacation time to move. I don't know what they ended up doing, because the owner did not call us. We were told we would "just see on our card". I think we got a night free, but have not seen our statement yet. The room otherwise was nice enough. Big enough. The beds comfortable. We enjoyed use of the oven, stove and microwave. All worked.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank JPPA66
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed June 26, 2010

We checked into Park Lane at 5:50pm. After trekking it up to our room (with a small dog-which should have been my first clue that things would not go well), we opened the door to be greeted with a room that was 86 degrees. The thermostat was set at 68 degrees. We called down to the front desk, and the said maintenance would be up shortly to look into it. Fifteen minutes later, after no one had arrived, my husband called the front desk again. He requested a new room, but the person at the front desk was not listening to him-while on the phone with my husband the front desk employee was talking to someone else as well-the employee insisted that someone from maintenance was coming to check on the room. Ten minutes later, no one was there. So I sat out in the hallway-since the room was now 87 degrees and my husband went down the front desk to ask for a new room. Of course, they did not have a new room available- but we were told "we're working on it". While I was sitting in the hallway maintenance arrived at our room, only after knocking on the wrong door TWICE. The person my husband spoke with at the front desk told maintenance the wrong room number TWICE. If the front desk employee would have LISTENED to my husband when he called, we would not have had to wait 40 minutes to get into our hotel room. We got another room-just as we were going to complain the maintenance guy stepped off of the elevator and handed us keys to another room in the other building.

I am writing this review the morning after what happened. I am sitting in the hotel right now. I decided to write this review because at 9:20am this morning, housekeeping was going up and down the hallway knocking on doors saying "housekeeping". We check out at 11am-why are you knocking on our door? Shouldn't you have a master list of what rooms are occupied and which are not? Who is checking out and who is not? I called the front desk and after three attempts to reach the front desk, someone finally picked up. I asked to speak with the manager, when I asked her why housekeeping was knocking on doors so early she said "I don't have an answer for you, they normally do not do that this early. I will work on it". I am thankful that she was kind about it-but unfortunately, I am awake now one my first day of vacation after traveling hours to get here.

The rooms are nice, beds are comfortable, there is free high speed internet and the hotel is pet friendly. But for the price we paid, $155.00 +$50.00 (pet fee)=$205.00, I expected much better service. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Trevose, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 17, 2010

This hotel was very nice except for the fact that i believe my ipod has been stolen by one of the staff who entered our room while we were gone. I left my ipod in my bag the whole trip and the bag never moved our whole stay. So when we leave, i go to take out my ipod in the car and its not in the bag. Hmm..i checked every other piece of luggage i had and still no ipod. Someone took this ipod and the only people who have access to our locked room were the hotel staff. I wish someone could own up to the crime and mail me my ipod back but i dont expect for that to happen. Watch out for the staff here because the person obviously has not been fired. i will never stay anywhere near this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Moweaqua, Illinois
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My husband and I just returned from Hilton Head Island, SC (May 2010). We stayed at Park Lane and Suites on a Time Share Offer. We opted to pay for an additional 2 nights which we booked back in January due to coming from Illinois. So in total we stayed 5 nights. First off, this hotel DOES NOT offer a continental breakfast! The hotel advertizes continental breakfast on their web site, but as of November 2009 they quite serving breakfast! They offer coffee and hot water with vending machines! When we asked about this, stating that on their website its still listed as an amenity they didn't have much to say other than "what do you care you came on a time share deal we didn't receive a dime from you"! they must of forgot about the 2 extra nights we purchased. When we asked the Hilton Head Guest Services (Timeshare people) about it they blamed the hotel. So basically we got the run around! So just be aware that if you stay at this hotel you will have to budget for your breakfasts out. I will say the cleaning ladies were awesome! They did a great job keeping our room clean and well stocked. They even washed the dirty dishes! That was a nice surprise!

The other bad thing about this hotel is location. Well lets just say it sucked! When we come to Hilton Head we like to park the car and ride bikes to the beach and just relax. This hotel is at least 3 miles away with no short cuts and to get there on bikes you have to take the 2 very, very, busy roads (278 & Pope Ave). If you are traveling with young kids on bikes it is very dangerous as you have to cross several busy intersections/parking lots/gas stations/etc. Almost got hit serveral times!

Bring your own beach towels....they never had any clean towels available.

Also something to consider, this hotel is pet friendly which is nice for people who opt to bring their pets; however, I opted to leave my puppy at home. Well they put us in a room beside someone who brought a dog. The dog yipped, and yipped day and evening. We did finally say something to the front desk and they said they would say something to them, but the dog still yipped. So be sure and ask to be put in a room thats not by the dogs.

Also, each room has a balcony, but only some have furniture on them. You have to ask for your chair and table. Something else....we went to the fitness room to work out one day, they were out of towels and the water dispenser was empty. They had a scale there thought I would weigh and the needle was broken off along with the plastic cover. It just looked so trashy. Throw it away or replace it!

One plus is that the rooms have been totally remolded. And for $120 a night it is a pretty nice room, if you can get past a few negative things.

For us we will never stay there again! Just too far from the beach!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple