“Great staff but motorcycle un-friendly.”

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Atlanta
“Great staff but motorcycle un-friendly.”
Reviewed December 25, 2010

I traveled to HHI with friends in November as part of the HHI Concours d'Elegance. I decided that, since the Marriott was the host hotel, I would stay there so I could fraternize with other members of my car club and other participants in the show.

Since the friends with whom I traveled were staying in an RV and the only vehicles were brought were show cars, I brought my motorcycle in the trailer so I could ride back and forth between the RV site and the hotel.

Having other friends at Isle of Palms, I made sure to ask the reservationist if motorcycles are allowed on the property. After talking to her superior she informed me that motorcycles are, in fact, allowed.

When I arrived to the hotel the valet looked at me as if I had leprosy. I parked near some of the show cars out front and walked inside. After checking in the desk clerk asked if I had a vehicle and I pointed to my bike out front which made him practically reel in horror. "You DROVE a MOTORCYCLE onto THIS property?!?" I explained that I had specifically asked, done my due diligence, etc. After a lengthy conversation with both desk managers and the Chief of Police for Palmetto Dunes, I was informed that I COULD have received a $1,000 fine for riding on the property (there is no sign at the entrance to Palmetto Dunes) and that, despite being part of the CdE, he would not grant me a pass to ride back and forth to the hotel three times over the next two days.
Subsequently- I cancelled my reservation and ended up staying at the Hampton Inn up the street (which is not in a plantation).

Overall I was very disappointed with my experience. I have to say that Brian Perron, Angela Erney, and Ana Delfino went above and beyond to help with the situation, even offering to pay for my transportation back and forth to the show. Columbia-Sussex should be proud to have them on staff.

However- I believe Marriott should make more of an effort to train the employees taking their reservations. It is not uncommon for other friends of mine to ride thousands of miles via motorcycle to a vacation destination. (We drove 300 miles from Atlanta). During the peak season a very long leg of a motorcycle vacation could be cut off at the ankle due to this type of lack of attention to detail from one of Marriott's employees.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (610)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Oz
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Fantastic, Fantastic, Fantastic. The service and friendliness of staff was second to none we have ever experienced (Reception, Wait staff, IT) - and we have stayed at hundreds of Marriotts all around the world (USA, Carribbean, Mexico, Europe, Australia to name a few). They were fabulous - accommodating, very very friendly, helpful and just great - how they got so many friendly great staff in one Marriott is amazing.

It is in a gorgeous location, right on the beach (great for long romantic walks) with fabulous external facilities, pools, plenty of seating around the pool, right on the beach, pool bar with food. Close to over a dozen golf courses.

The early dinner deal at Conroys is unbelievable - have the crab soup - it's to die for.

The rooms are spacious - we had a suite and it was just lovely.

We highly highly recommend this hotel. We loved it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed November 11, 2010

The only negative was the view from the deck but we were out of the room most of the night. Other than that wonderful view from the deck loved the hammocks, very relaxed and secluded it was well worth the mobey. We would definetely stay here again. Loved the pool the restaurant and the whole view

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Clemson, SC
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Bed was comfy, bathroom was nice. TV was small and ancient. "Island view" was of a wall and part of a roof of the hotel. Walls were paper thin. Would not choose to stay there again. Have stayed at very nice places for much less..

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Tennessee
Reviewed October 30, 2010

On my first visit to Hilton Head, we did not make advanced reservations due to the time of year (and I had called to verify there were vacancies). We walked in and were able to "bargain" for a price, plus AAA discount, plus no charge for Wi-Fi and parking. The other hotels offered some discounts, but this one was the nicest and where we wanted. October was a perfect time to go--not crowded at all, no waiting in restaurants. ALL restaurants were fabulous, pricey but good.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Union, Missouri
Reviewed October 27, 2010

A fabulous resort with beautiful and comfortable rooms. The swimming pools and huge decks were very accommodating. Would definitely refer friends to this resort.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Hotel is on the beach, has great pools and nice daily activities for children (including movie nights in the pool, bounce house slides on beach, sand dollar painting, etc...) Rooms were on the smaller side but nicely finished. Be sure to pay extra for one on the beach side. Bike rental on site is nice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family