I traveled to HHI with friends in November as part of the HHI Concours d'Elegance. I decided that, since the Marriott was the host hotel, I would stay there so I could fraternize with other members of my car club and other participants in the show.
Since the friends with whom I traveled were staying in an RV and the only vehicles were brought were show cars, I brought my motorcycle in the trailer so I could ride back and forth between the RV site and the hotel.
Having other friends at Isle of Palms, I made sure to ask the reservationist if motorcycles are allowed on the property. After talking to her superior she informed me that motorcycles are, in fact, allowed.
When I arrived to the hotel the valet looked at me as if I had leprosy. I parked near some of the show cars out front and walked inside. After checking in the desk clerk asked if I had a vehicle and I pointed to my bike out front which made him practically reel in horror. "You DROVE a MOTORCYCLE onto THIS property?!?" I explained that I had specifically asked, done my due diligence, etc. After a lengthy conversation with both desk managers and the Chief of Police for Palmetto Dunes, I was informed that I COULD have received a $1,000 fine for riding on the property (there is no sign at the entrance to Palmetto Dunes) and that, despite being part of the CdE, he would not grant me a pass to ride back and forth to the hotel three times over the next two days.
Subsequently- I cancelled my reservation and ended up staying at the Hampton Inn up the street (which is not in a plantation).
Overall I was very disappointed with my experience. I have to say that Brian Perron, Angela Erney, and Ana Delfino went above and beyond to help with the situation, even offering to pay for my transportation back and forth to the show. Columbia-Sussex should be proud to have them on staff.
However- I believe Marriott should make more of an effort to train the employees taking their reservations. It is not uncommon for other friends of mine to ride thousands of miles via motorcycle to a vacation destination. (We drove 300 miles from Atlanta). During the peak season a very long leg of a motorcycle vacation could be cut off at the ankle due to this type of lack of attention to detail from one of Marriott's employees.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a premier oceanfront hotel at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa. Our world-class resort in Hilton Head, SC offers you an island escape in utter paradise. Enjoy newly renovated guestrooms, award-winning dining, three championship golf courses and spa. In addition, our distinctive Hilton Head oceanfront hotel's staff always delivers superior service to make your stay even more special. Our outstanding family-friendly retreat also offers a wide array of impressive amenities, including golf, tennis, biking, parasailing and so much more. Take advantage of our unbeatable location and enjoy easy access to a variety of nearby destinations, including local airports, shopping and popular tourist attractions. Plus, this Hilton Head resort provides dynamic event spaces, creating an ideal location to host your celebration or professional conference. Experience supreme relaxation and scenic views at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Head Marriott Resort And Spa
- Hilton Head Marriott Hotel Hilton Head
- Marriott Hilton Head