“Great little beach break at the Marriott Resort and Spa”

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed September 15, 2010

My husband and I added a couple days on to a recent business trip, in Hilton Head. The Marriott resort and spa made it the perfect long weekend. The room was large and nice, the staff was outstanding and the food at Conroy's was some of the best we had on the island!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank coffeelover57
Write a ReviewReviews (2,061)

Reviewed September 13, 2010

I recently returned from a 4 night stay at the HH Marriott. The staff is outstanding (except one bartender at Liquid-who was not friendly)-they could not do enough for every guest. They gave me an upgrade to an oceanfront room on the 9th floor (higher the better here)-which was very nice with a balcony directly looking over the pool and ocean. It was my birthday and the 2nd night-I received a dessert and card from the staff-very nice touch. From pool staff to front desk-they were outstanding. I had a small issue with my room not being very clean when I arrived-I mentioned it to the front desk-and I was not looking for anything-but they gave me a resort credit for a small amount-which was very nice. All room have refrigerators-which is very convenient. Also-one of the bartenders asked me how my room was-again-I told him it wasn't really clean-he gave me a drink for my trouble. The only problem is the rooms are worn-I saw that in other posts also-they really need to be done over if they want to continue to get top dollar. They smell like mildue-but again-this is a nice property right on the beach. The picture behind glass on the wall even had mold on matt. Paul the bartender in lobby bar was wonderful and friendly to everyone. As I was travelling alone-I would ask about good places to have dinner-and even the restaurant staff would go out of their way to make good recommendations. One thing I discovered was just maybe a 5 minute walk down the beach was the Dunes House-nice bar and deck with great Fish Tacos! Went back twice-but maybe Jennifer's Margarita's had something to do with it! Great lunch spot-can sit outside or inside-they cook the food outside on a grill. Look to the left from the beach-can't miss all the red umbrellas! Also went to Robert Irvine's EAT-yes that's the name. He is on the Food Network quite often-great food-very different combinations with wonderful flavor. He also lives in Hilton Head. Also-a must do is the Palmetto Bay Marina Sunrise cafe for breakfast-spicy crab cakes Benedict-best I have ever had. A mainstay is Old Fort Pub-nice for sunset-a few tables outside-staff friendly. Charlie's is great also-menu is handwritten every day with local fish featured. Paul is a great bartender! Aqua at Coligny was nice-Frank at the upstairs bar was great-very friendly and excellent service-good food but dissapointed at no local fish that day. I would go back because of the staff-hopefully Marriott has it in their plans to refubish rooms-lobby and outside areas were very clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay. We booked an oceanview room on the "stay for breakfast" package, and stayed 2 nights. Check-in was simple, with all of our preferences honored. Every staff member, throughout our stay, was super friendly and very helpful. The room was clean and comfortable with a nice view of the ocean (side view, we did not upgrade to ocean-front). The property has an excellent location with great amenities on site. Our package included the breakfast buffet at "The Cafe" which was well worth the additional fee when we booked. The food was excellent, service friendly, with tons of options on the line and custom omelets and waffles available.
The beach access was easy and nice, the pool areas were beautiful and well maintained. There were 3 outdoor pools, 2 whirlpools, and an indoor.pool and whirlpool. We also enjoyed the property/complex that the resort is located in. Additionally, there is a spa on site, but we did not try any of the services. We will stay here again next time we visit the area.
My one gripe is that there was only 1 towel bar in the bathroom, a minor irritating thing.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

One can tell that the hotel is older in the guest rooms. Our room had some ceiling stains and the decor seemed a bit dated. Each room has a refrigerator.

The balcony in our corner oceanfront junior suite was fantastic! Our room was at the end of the side building and the balcony was right on the beach. It was the perfect place to enjoy room service meals and cocktails at sunset. Since I like having a good view from my room, staying on the side facing the "resort" aka parking area would not appeal to me.

The breakfast buffet was better than other Marriott buffets, including pancakes on the buffet. However, the other food - room service and other restaurants was below par for Marriott standards. For example, the meat on the nachos was incredibly sweet. The food wasn't horrible, it was just average. Which was disappointing, because when I stay at a resort, I like to not leave at all and eat all of my meals there.

The staff at this Marriott is incredibly friendly and welcoming. Overall, I loved the location right on the beach and our stay was great. Paying extra for an oceanfront room was definitely worth it, especially in the side building. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

This hotel was absolutely wonderful! The room was clean and was just perfect. I can't say enough good things about the staff....they were so friendly, so attentive, so on top of everything. Everyone we met who worked there was wonderful! I have never seen a more attentive staff. I can't imagine anyone writing a bad review about this hotel. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Was scheduled to stay there for 10 days but after moving to several rooms due to bugs in the bed, mold on the ceiling and closet doors, a non-functioning air conditioner, a dirty bathroom, and left over hairs from the last occupant we finally gave up and left after 4 days. Front desk staff did there best to resolve the issues. Asked to speak with the General Manager but never got a call from him. Have stayed in many Marriott's around the world and this one is in need of some room repair and overall room clean-up. Grounds and pool area were nice but the rooms were not up to speed with a Marriott vacation and not worth the price.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2010

After being put in a room on 3rd floor.. Moved to 10th floor Murphy bed.. Then finally the king room, ocean front we reserved.. Great view.. Perfect! We were VERY happy and enjoyed the rest of our stay!! The staff was AMAZING, friendly (except for the omelette lady) and very accommodating! 90th birthday boy concierge, Don, was awesome and right on with his dinner recommendation!

• Stayed: August 2010