“Love it!”

Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Atlanta, Georgia
“Love it!”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Love everything about the hotel. Food options could be better at night. Pool service was good. Breakfast buffet waiters were very friendly. Rooms are nice but need to be renovated. Very clean and well stocked.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I just got back from a very nice stay at this resort on Hilton Head Island. The views from the ocean front room were spectacular. I am a Platinum Premier Elite member and was treated with true Marriott hospitality.

The only thing wrong with this property as other people had mentioned was that the rooms are in need of remodeling. (The property is scheduled for September-October time frame for this to happen) . Once the remodel is complete this will once again be a 5 star resort. The pool staff was fantastic and even better was the lobby bar and its bartender.

I would recommended this property but only after the remodel is complete.

Room Tip: Reserve a ocean from room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear xnavyron,

Thank you for your loyalty and choosing to stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. We appreciate your feedback from your recent stay.

We are very exited to see that you had a good time while in Hilton Head. It is a very relaxing town and we are very happy to see that it treated you just as well.

We are equally excited about our room renovations and are looking forward to the final product. We hope to see you and your family once everything is complete so that we can continue to make great memories! Thank you again.
Reviewed August 25, 2014

My family of 5 stayed here for the first time last week. The location was great and the beach was perfect but the actual hotel was definitely subpar! When we checked in to our oceanfront double room I was surprised that there was not a sofa bed. When I asked at the front desk they said that not all double rooms have sofa beds. When I told them that my reservation said we should have a sofa bed they said the only thing they could do was to "upgrade" us to a king suite and give us a rollaway bed. We had to take it since we have 3 children but thus had to trade our oceanfront view for a view of the parking garage roof. The room was generally clean but smelled terribly musty, had terrible water pressure ( the shower would randomly stop), and horrible wi-fi. The entire resort just seemed dirty (hallways, elevators, pools, etc). The first day we arrived the pool was an awful green color. The next day I asked the pool maintenance man why the pool was green and he said a chlorinator line was broken and they were working to fix it! Lovely after we had let the kids swim in it and the pool was still full of guests! We chose to spend most of the time at the beach after that. It seems like they are short staffed on cleaning people all around. Our room was never cleaned on our second day there and when I asked the front desk why they just said they would make sure it was cleaned the following day.
Thank goodness we checked our bill thoroughly upon checkout as I noticed a $91 charge from a restaurant that was not ours. The front desk looked into it and finally said a guest must have written the wrong room number on their
bill?!?!
It is a shame that we had so many problems and although I mentioned all of them to the front desk we were not compensated at all (although I have read that some people were given credits, etc).
As I mentioned above, the location was great but I'm not sure I will stay here again even with room renovations coming. I feel as though the entire resort needs a renovation!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank 3sonmom
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear 3sonmom

I understand that your stay here must have been frustrating. Your issues are taken seriously and have been passed on to all management of the concerned areas. We do not take these situations/comments lightly.

It is my hope that you will give us another chance in the future to show you that we are not at all what was first perceived and we will show you how great your experience can be.

As you are aware, we are scheduled for a renovation in the Fall of 2014, and are very excited to give our guest and fresh new product. We hope that you will visit again. Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa.
Summerville
Reviewed August 24, 2014

My wife and I went here for the weekend for our 8th anniversary. We enjoyed our stay here. The only reason I give it 4 stars is that the rooms need to be a little more fixed up. Like the popcorn on the ceilings were coming off. The bedding was nice. Other than that the resort has everything your looking for. The pool area reminded me of the Caribbean. There were nice lounge chairs with cushions and an umbrella for rent. The service at the pool was nice. Every lounge chair has a flag pole and you would raise it up if you needed a drink or some food. It really wasn't over priced. The lobby was really nice. In the gift shop was a Starbucks but only a certain amount of drinks on the menu. The Spa was awesome. My wife and I did a couples massage and it was nice. You won't regret getting a massage from here. Will be staying here at the Marriott resort and spa again.

Room Tip: Ocean front
Green Features: Every staff member that would walk by you in the halls or outside they would say hello or asked if they could help you with anything!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We just returned from our trio to Hilton Head and the Marriott Resort and Spa. We selected this location based upon Fodor's and Frommer's recommendations. I admit that I read some Trip Advisor reviews prior to our departure and was concerned at what we might find upon our arrival. We did not experience any delays when we checked in, nor had any issues with valets and leaving our car in front of the hotel. In fact, the let us leave our car there while we brought our bags to our room.

While this hotel will be undergoing a renovation this fall, I am truly surprised Marriott let this hotel get to the state it is. We had a king room suite. We did not have any room odors, but did have deep scratches in the coffe table, drawers that didn't open or close propery and a door which required brute strength to open and close. The most annoying feature of the room was the shower. We never had a consistent shower, it varied from ice cold to steaming hot during each and every shower.

Our biggest frustrations were the wi-fi and maid service, as it was so inconsistent as to what items they would replace or clean. Thankfully we timed our return to our room well and the housekeeping carts were still in the hallway. We were able to replace towels, coffee, etc. As far as the wi-fi, I found the poor service truly unacceptable. I had no issues with signal/ speed off the property, but on the property, especially by the pool was just terrible.

We had the breakfast buffett twice, which I found pricey and low quality given the price. Our second and last time had many empty chaffing dishes. We also overheard some bickering among the staff.

I found the pool area quite small given the size of the hotel. We experienced 100 degree temps during our stay, and finding any chaise lounges under an umbrella required an early trip to the pool. The lounge chairs were situated very close to each other. If you wanted peace and quiet you needed to venture to the beach and spend around $30 for two chairs and an umbrella to rent for the day.

All that said, none of the issues I mentioned impacted our ability to enjoy this beautiful location. We found most of the staff warm and friendly. The concierge staff was exceptional, especially Martha.

I do hope this upcoming renovation turns the state of this hotel around. The location really cannot be beat. It is still sad Marriott let this location fall into such disrepair.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Donna G
Dear Dee S,

First, and foremost, thank you for your feedback from your stay. We are always looking to exceed and without guest comments we would not know where we may need improving. We appreciate all of your positive comments. It is always nice to see when we have succeeded in the eyes of our guests.

As you know, we are receiving renovations this fall and are very excited to see the final product. We are confident that these areas in question on recent posts from past guests will be up to our highest expectations. While we wait on the needed updates on the physical aspects, I know that our staff and the service we deliver has never changed. We still strive to go beyond expectations and take that extra step to show guests that we are unlike any other Marriott.

As for our Wi-Fi connections, we will also be updating them during our renovations. Technology plays a large part in our everyday lives, not just those of our business travelers and we are equally excited to provide a faster connection available for all.

We hope to see you in the future. Thank you again for choosing to stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa.
Forest, VA
Reviewed August 23, 2014

This hotel has a lot to offer (liked the 2 pools, pool bar, large pool deck, live poolside music, close proximity to beach), but sleep is not one of them! Their ancient mattresses were so uncomfortable that a good night's rest was not possible. I asked if we could move to another room with a better mattress, and was told that they plan to update soon, but all mattresses were dated!

Room Tip: Get the rooms with a view...ocean front...after they update all their mattresses!
Green Features: We were happy to see that guests could contribute to recycling in poolside bins.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear ForestVANancy,

Thank for you choosing to stay with us here at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. We appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback over your recent stay. We appreciate your positive comments over the hotel and property.

I'm terribly sorry for the uncomfortable nights sleep. A good nights rest is important to get the day started and I'm sorry you could not find satisfaction. Once we receive our renovations our mattresses will be new as well. We always can have our maintenance staff make the beds more firm. I apologize that this was not offered to you.

We hope to see you in the future. Thank you again for staying with us.
california
Reviewed August 23, 2014

After reading the reviews, I was skeptical of booking our 4 day stay. The price was right and the location was terrific so I decided to give it a chance. Glad we did. I certainly don't understand all the naysayers who gave it a poor rating. Our ocean view room on the 3rd floor was clean and cheerful and well decorated. Nothing shabby about this place. The service was tops and in particular, the valets who greeted us like seasoned veterans of the hotel (Brandon in particular). The front desk was always willing to give us advise and answer any questions we had about anything (Al, you were great). The beach is beautiful and I doubt you'll find a better location on the island.

Room Tip: There are so many outstanding restaurants outside of the complex that I wouldn't waste my meals...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends