“Good stay”

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed June 27, 2014

My family and I had a good stay here. The room was dated and had a few cosmetic issues but overall it was clean and comfortable. The pool area was very nice and we enjoyed using it. The staff was very friendly. Yes, the hotel is starting to show age but for the most part it's very nice and I would stay again! We liked being oceanfront.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank abthom

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Basically, this hotel is tired at best as stated in many reviews. Yet, they continue to charge top dollar. I just completed a 5 night stay there and experienced many of the same problems as other reviewers....musty room, outdated decor and furniture, unclean carpet and curtains, etc. They did attempt to compensate us with a cabana, credit, moving rooms....but there is no compensation for unmet expectations of a luxurious vacation. The outside facilities and space are incredible. And, we spent all day each day outside. However, we are not nightlife people and like to retreat to the comfort of a lovely room. The constant reply was, "Renovations are coming in September"...well my vacation isn't. If you read the reviews, in each reply it says the same thing. They should have offered a complimentary stay after the renovations are complete...better yet, they should have renovated last year.

Room Tip: Wait until next summer to stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Pecangrovelover
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear Pecangrovelover,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. We appreciate your feedback. I'm terribly sorry you were not happy with you accommodations. Indeed we will be getting our renovations soon. We are excited to provide our guest with a fresh, new product. We hope that we will see you in the future.

Again, thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Before I came here, I thought that Marriott was a good hotel. Disappointing, the service was not good enough especially in ocean blu cafe. I saw some of staffs ate frenchfries in a bowl of customer. Omg! I could not believe. Bytheway, the room was clean although it was very old design and housekeepers are friendly. However, I do not think it is worth to pay too much for this hotel. The only one thing that I like is location. It seem like it is a fake Marriott when you compare with another branch.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ginvel
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Ginvel,

Thank you for choosing to spend your time at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. While we pride ourselves in meeting and exceeding our guests’ expectations, we have obviously failed you and for that we sincerely apologize.

I’m terribly sorry about the issues you encountered during your stay. It must have been terribly frustrating for you.

Please be aware that we are scheduled for a renovation in the Fall of 2014, and are very excited to give our guest and fresh new product. We hope that you will visit again. Once again, thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa.

Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Location, location, location. Staff is very friendly and helpful! Not stuffy at all. Yes, rooms need updated with a focus on controlling the humidity in the rooms, but it is a beachfront resort in the South! Our room was exactly as requested. We used points. Will definitely try to come back.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

As a Ritz Carlton rewards member- We decided to cash in some points and travel to a destination close by for a few days to get-a-way. Since the Ritz is partners we expected a great hotel and experience. The first red flag should have been when I was cold called by the Marriott to try and lure me into a time share 90 min meeting. Ok- I we are going on vacation why would I want to leave my hotel and the ocean to visit a time share? The Ritz would never try to sell you on buying into a time share. So, we arrive at the hotel early and our room was ready which was fantastic so we check in change and hit the beach. The beach is a public beach (I have never been to a "resort" that allowed public access) the hotel does not provide chairs and you have to pay $34 a day for two chairs and an umbrella. But wait we have 3 people in our party!! So, we pay $43 a day.....The beach is full of rift raft. People blasting loud music and drinking out of coolers. It is what you would expect bike week to be or a cheesy spring break for college kids. Then we go to the pool where signs clearly state no outside food or beverage or smoking yet everyone is lit up and drinking out of coolers. I notice a nasty band aid in the pool and I ask that it be removed, the pool people toss it out on the pool deck where is floats back in so I go and find another person who thankfully was responsible and fishes it out with a net and tosses in the trash. I ask this person why everyone is smoking and drinking out of coolers ( I have never taken a cooler to the beach or to a hotel) and he says that the pool area even though stated otherwise is public meaning anyone on the beach who wants a dip can come into the hotel grounds use the pool and order service. WAIT- WE paid $15 a day for resort fees. Which I expect a refund.....I am a guest I did not wonder in off the beach. Now, I asked 3 more hotel employees and they all verified that the hotel makes its revenue by allowing outside guest from the beach to swim because they know they will end up eating and drinking. SO, Marriott don't try to deny this I have the pool manager and the restaurant manager to confirm this. Then we go to our room for the night our favorite room service and a movie. Where else can you eat in bed and watch a movie except at a hotel. However, there are no in room movies but you can go to the front desk for a dvd player rental, What this is 2014 whats a DVD? so, we go to sleep to be rudely awakened before 7am because the family next to us wanted to open the adjoining room door allow their children to knock, scream and then the parents allowed the kids to race up and down the hall all the while the dad couldn't find his cell charger and he really sounded like he needed to charge his phone while the mom continued to allow the race and then the mom joined the kids in chanting lets go to the beach, lets go to the beach......the hotel didn't want to be rude to them to ask them to keep quiet ( as a mom my child has ever been allowed to act like that) I wanted my child to sleep not to be disturbed! SO, to avoid telling them to be quiet the hotel at 8 am moves us to another room. Apparently, well behaved classy families aren't wanted here. We then go to the beach where we leave because our paid in advance chair rentals had been taken over by some family with a booze and loud music issue that they refused to turn down because it was a free country. I came to see the beach, hear it and relax not listen to techno crap!
I then emailed the rude lady who cold called me to tell her that we would not attend a time share and that we would not return and she didn't even have the manners to send a reply saying she was sorry- Michelle Green, Marriott employee! Thats the kind of service you get. I bet if I had brought my own towels, chairs and cooler I would have been respected more. I came to pay for my service and food, we didn't stop off at the gas station and buy it! Speaking of we spent $300 a day on food at this hotel. Money not a cooler brought in food. I would like my $15 resort fee refunded. And I want you to make a mental note that we paid $300 a day for 3 people, 2 adults and one child to eat at this hotel. We are your clients not rift raft who brings gas station beer and food. We tip really well and the staff at Conroys where we ate each night new us by name as well as our child and our child never once ordered off the kids menu! The pool cabana servers also new us by name and treated us with respect. We drove 5 hours to see the beach and we ended up paying for pool cabanas to sit by a pool, we have a pool in our backyard! The beach was too trashy to associate with it. I heard you are remodeling the hotel- forget that remodel and pay the city for a private beach area. That is where you will get your money back. I am ashamed that I used my points, I am ashamed that the Ritz is a sister property and I am worried that our next trip in August to the Singer Island Marriott will be just as bad. I would rather stay at the Four Seasons in Palm Beach than to chance this hotel again.

Room Tip: Tip would be not to stay here
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank EmilyK33
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear EmilyK33,

The beach is controlled by the city of Hilton Head. There are public access points available, but no private beaches.

As for our hotel, our pools and amenities are for our guest solely. We do not allow day passes or those from other facilities to enjoy our hotel.

Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We read many bad reviews- and were a little nervous at check in- but we had an ocean front room on the 7th floor which had a beautiful view! Staff was awesome, grounds were pretty and food by the pool was excellent-

The rooms do need upgrading- but they were clean, and we slept very well and made good use of the room fridge- had a great stay with the family-

Our boys enjoyed the kids activities - we hope to head back after the Reno-

Reviewed June 22, 2014

The location is wonderful, the staff very helpful overall, and the amenities are nice. The room needed paint retouched, better cleaning in the shower, and some modernizing. Little things that were not right when we arrived (closet door off track, no crib) were corrected quickly. Room service was efficient but did not like the food both times. No bath tub was hard with an infant. The worst part of our stay was the awful Internet! I could not send an email and half the time couldn't pull up any websites. We stayed for 4 days and we were incredibly frustrated.

Dear Watfords913

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa. We appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback from your stay.

I'm happy to see that you enjoyed our location and amenities. I see that our staff service met your expectations and even though you were not fully impressed with the food from room service, you still had good comments on the service, so again, thank you for your positive comments. I will be sure to pass them along to the appropriate managers.