“Family place to stay”

atlanta
“Family place to stay”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Lowest priced hotel I can find on Expedia for Hilton head beach
Good location (close to restaurant, Kroger , etc.,) and beach is at the front of the hotel with a lot of amenities and fun things to do in the hotel.
Most suitable for family to enjoy the beach and resort and also good for friends for golfing or tennis.
Also there is a depot on the way to hotel where you can get lunch, breakfast and souvenir for better price than at hotel.

Indoor pool is only just for kids and too small.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Turkish first
Rockville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2014

A nice property, but one major gripe: The A/C system seemed to be on the fritz throughout the hotel. As a result, everything was damp. In my room, which smelled slightly of mildew, wet towels never dried, clothing left in the closet felt damp, and papers left on the my nightstand wilted. Open windows and ceiling fans would have been a vast improvement to at least allow some circulation. But oddly, the balcony doors in various rooms seemed to be permanently sealed shut. Adjusting the in-room thermostat did nothing.

Staff were very pleasant (excessively almost: being greeted with "Hello, how are you sir?" by each each passing employee started to feel awkward), and the amenities were up to par. Beds were comfortable.

I would probably give a 4 or 5-star rating but for the A/C / air-quality issues.

Room Tip: Request a "beach view," not a "resort view." Avoid the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Gabriel M,

It is our hope that we exceed our guests' expectation in every way, but we obviously fell short in the AC department. Your feedback allows to address concerns that we may not have been aware of. We thank you for that and the matter will be addressed immediately. We will be doing a room renovation in the Fall of 2014. We hope that you will visit with us again.
Westfield, MA
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I have been coming to this Hotel for 4 years for an annual girls getaway. You simply can't beat the location. This year I returned with my husband. The beach is beautiful..and I would highly recommend an ocean front room. But request a higher level to avoid noise from the bar/lobby/pool. The rooms are in need of updating...and this year it was more apparent then ever. But we spend little time there..so it wasn't a priority for us. (Although I was pretty shocked at the towels..worn out...and in need of replacement) The lobby is airy and bright and feels very tropical. The front desk staff are friendly and helpful. The bar is comfortable...and has the most friendly staff. My husband noticed that it had a musty smell..most likely due to the carpeting. Hopefully they will replace it or eliminate it during renovations that will take place in the fall. The restaurant has a great breakfast...pricey, but quick and convenient. The pool area is fantastic. Lots of both sunny and shady options. Great beach access with chair rentals if you prefer to be on the beach. But again...a little pricey to rent chairs or the cabana style seating at the pool. I have used the services at the spa each year. Great options and wonderful therapists/manicurists/etheticians. Treat yourself and enjoy the extras that they offer. And lastly I would like to acknowledge the valet and bell captains. They do as great job and are quick and always have great suggestions for places to eat or shop. I have just returned after a 4 night stay and am looking forward to next year's stay after the renovations take place.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We had the worst "4-star hotel" experience in this hotel. I had to make four calls to the front desk in our two days staying there:

1. They first gave us a room that is on a floor where the hall way was filled with moldy smell. The odor was so strong I had to immediately request for another room.
2. The roll-away bed they sent is in pretty bad condition. I thought the coils in the bed might pop out anytime when I laid down on it. I had to call the front desk to request a thick layer of matter be put in to be able to sleep on it comfortably.
3. Both drains in the bathroom were clugged. I have to call the front desk to get someone to fix them.
4. We ran out of tissue paper and couldn't find extra ones in the room. Another call to the front desk.

I have stayed in quite a few "4-star" hotels, and I have never had so many "issues" before. My mom even told me that maybe a motel room will be better than the one we got. I was okay with the outdated interior and exterior of the hotel because of the price we paid. But strong moldy smell in a "4-star" hotel? That was just ridiculous.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Shihfur
HiltonHeadManagement, Director of Operations at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Allow me to apologize for your recent stay. I understand how a few issues with a drain, rollaway and toilet paper can turn a vacation upside down. We strive to ensure a perfect stay and we may have fallen short this time around. We hope you were able to enjoy the beautiful ocean, our indoor and outdoor pools and jacuzzis, the 10,000 sq foot spa and other amenities we have to offer. We hope in the future you will try us again.
geneseo, il
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We had originally stayed at this property about 7 years ago. Wonderful location, with a nice facility and great service. I am planning a return trip with my family for June. I am getting a little concerned about the service level as I have tried to contact the hotel concierge three times, by two different methods and have yet to receive any response. That and some of the recent reviews about the condition of the property have me concerned. Will hope that the service matches our previous experience on our next trip.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
My apologies that we did not get back to you promptly. Please contact me directly at the hotel so may I assist.

Lisa Ryder
Director of Operations
843-686-8400
Weldon, North Carolina
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Let me start by stating that the furniture is dated, the balcony's in desperate need of some "tlc", and the hallway carpet is not appealing. Even so, we were able to enjoy a comfortable 2 night stay at this property. We slept well and we did not stay in our room much. The beach is nice and has plenty of space to set up your chairs without feeling crowded. The pool are beach bar areas were nice and inviting. The lobby was spacious with several areas for sitting/lounging. Both our check in and check out experiences were great! We stayed April 23-25.

Although we did not bring our children along, we noticed that the hotel had several activities for kids and was well-suited for families. You can also rent bikes directly near the pool area. The hotel also has a paved basketball court on site and several golf courses nearby. The entire island seems to support bike riding as bike trails were observed everywhere. We were minutes away from restaurants and shopping centers so the location was perfect for us. During our next visit, we'll probably try Sonesta, the Omni, or Westin just to see what they have to offer.

All in all, in you plan to stay in your room a lot, you may want to look elsewhere. If you are looking for a comfortable place to lay your head at night after a long day of swimming, shopping, eating, walking on the beach, etc. this hotel will serve its purpose. We dined at 3 onsite restaurants. Expect overpriced food, decent-tasting food but good service! :-) In addition to other restaurants and shops, the hotel has a Starbucks and a general store that serves Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MsPearl105
Thank you for such a nice review. We are happy you enjoyed the island and our proximity to restaurants, shopping and fun! Next time bring the kids. Our activities department has great plans for the year! It was a pleasure having you as a guest. We hope to see you again.
Denver
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Not what you expect from a Marriott resort. Staff is great, but property needs a serious update and a major cleaning wouldn't hurt until they can update. Location is great on the beach, and pool area is nice. My room smelled, the furniture was run down, it's just not what you expect for the price or from Marriott. Hilton Head is amazing, with some effort this could be a good resort. Let's hope they put some time and money in the place.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
JKRED,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. We truly appreciate your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your time at our resort and the great location right on the beach. I did want to let you know we will be renovating this coming September. We are very much looking forward to providing our guests with a fresh and new product. We do hope to choose to stay with us again!