“Getting tired, but great location!”

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This was my second stay at the Hilton Head Marriott. I had called the hotel a couple of days before checking in to extend my stay by one night. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived to learn that I had been "upgraded" to an oceanfront suite. The suite was simply a larger room at the ocean end of the south tower building. Previously I had stayed in an ocean front room in the main tower. The hotel is definitely showing its age, and I was pleased to read a comment from the management that the hotel will be renovated soon.
Overall, the hotel is in a great location, and my room was on the top floor of the south tower, so it had an unobstructed view as close to the water as possible. I was also happy to learn that the resort fee now includes in-room wifi. Parking was free in the garage, though I'm not sure if this is year-round. The Marriott is on a great stretch of beach and is great for long walks in the morning and afternoon.
The bathroom is quite awkward, so I hope the layout will be changed during the renovation process. The shower door opens out right next to the bathroom door. There is no way to turn on the water without actually getting into the shower which can be a bit challenging given the awkward location of the shower door. The water pressure was seriously lacking as well.
I used the indoor pool several times, but was disappointed to see that there is a leak in the glass roof (quite noticeable during the rain while I was there).
Overall, this is still a great property, and I look forward to returning after the renovations are completed.

Room Tip: Go for the oceanfront room (high floor is best)!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank lirwin13
There are newer reviews for Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed for one night for business Check in was great friendly assistant manager checked me in. Rooms are tired and worn but the the location on the beach and the grounds are great. Liked the free parking. If I was to come back and stay longer with the family and use Marriott points I probably would look to another property based off the room

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed here a couple of nights after New Years just to see what Hilton Head was all about. As a Life-time Platinum Rewards member, I've stayed at many, many properties over the years. This is definitely one that is showing its age and in need of refreshing to newer decor. Another area for improvement is housekeeping. We called three times to have feather pillows replaced with foam to no avail during our first night .... the morning after left a special request again to have them changed out .... again, to no avail. Finally got ahold of the assistant manager and presto. Not good service in my book. All this said, the food and food service was great .... both room service as well as main dining room. Probably overall a good value for the price paid given that we stayed during off season and the hotel was not full.

Room Tip: Would recommend ocean view in one of the top floors (7+)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2013

the saving grace for this hotel is the customer service, beach and surrounding location. The rooms themselves are shabby -- faded curtains, dingy bedspreads. Also, there was a roach in my room! I think that about covers it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TinQC
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed here one weekend during low season, and were able to get a great rate. Here are some highlights:

Pros:
- Located right on the beach. Loved taking walks in the morning and evening.
- Our room had an ocean view, and balcony.
- Indoor and outdoor pools.
- Restaurants located on property.
- Free parking during the low season.
- Wifi is included in resort fee.

Cons:
- The hotel is aging, so the rooms could use some updating.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 888Main
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear 888Main,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to share your feedback with us. We do pride ourselves on having an extraordinary view of the ocean!

You'll be pleased to know that we plan a renovation for the fall of 2014. Please be sure to come back and visit with us!!

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Great place- staff is exceptional..you ask for something and they respond" I can make that happen"Food beyond what you would ever expect out of a hotel. Homemade Corn Beef Hash. Cheese Grits. Great Bloody Marys that you can take out by the ocean. Nice large clean beach.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear LoriG,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to give us your feedback. We are glad that we were able to make your Christmas stay a pleasant one!

Please be sure to visit us again next year!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I agree with other viewers that the resort is a bit dated and has more of a "hotel" feel rather than a resort feel. We stayed there during my husband's anesthesia conference, so we got a good rate, but I do not know if I would pay the full price to stay there again. One bright spot, however, was the lobster roll sandwich that is served after 11 a.m., but again, the price was a little high for a sandwich and chips. A good experience, but if you are expecting Hilton Head elegance, you may want to consider another hotel.

Room Tip: Pay for the ocean view if you can. Our view was the parking lot and the roof of the entry way. A tad...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple