“A charge for beach chairs, Really?”

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is a very nice property and I had a great time there. The personnel are very friendly and nice. The amenities are great and the property is kept neat and clean. The breakfast staff was very good and the food was average to good but somewhat overpriced. My only complaint is that such a resort does not give a discount on use of beach chairs and umbrellas. I understand that the Town of Hilton Head mandates the charge for these items, but $32.00 the first day and $20 each day after that is ridiculous. Couldn't this hotel delete some of the seldom used amenities it offers (cookie decorating for example) and discount this beach chair rental?

1  Thank Ginger0908
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Ginger0908,
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. We are so happy to hear what a nice time you had while staying with us. I do want to let you know the beach is a public beach and the lifeguards are operated by the town of Hilton Head. They are in charge of the pricing so I do apologize for the confusion. We do hope you will come and visit again soon to enjoy another relaxing stay!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was very disappointed and upset when I opened the door to our 7th floor hotel room. I did a quick Internet search and according to the background info, the hotel was last renovated in 2008. I'm thinking, "They have got to be referencing the second floor lobby because the room itself is a throwback to the 70's.

The bedding was very comfortable and the oceanfront view, WOW! what a view!!! But the furniture was worn and in need of dusting, it took several tries to close the armoire which housed the refrigerator and clothing drawers, the ceiling in the bathroom was patched up, dirty fingerprints on the door, and the dehumidifier didn't work (I think it's the original from when the hotel was built in 1976). The balcony furniture (specifically the glass accent table) has not been wiped down in awhile. But, it's all about the view.

There was just no way I could bring myself to spend 4 nights in this room @ $209 + taxes + surcharges + resort fees. Just walking the halls you can see the lack of care that exists. So, I spent the following morning finding another hotel with the amenities I expected; was successful and checked us out the day after. I needed more than just a view.

2  Thank CAG1228

CAG1228,
Thank you for posting this review of our our property. We are scheduled to undergo a full property renovation at the end of the next summer season in 2014. We do hope you will come back to visit so that you may experience the fresh new product we will have to present to our guests! I do want to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered while staying with us.Reviews like this are a great training tool for our staff so that these issues will not occur for our future guests.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Absolutely amazing--not sure sure what people are complaining about. My husband and youngest daughter were born a day apart (she's his birthday present) and we decided to celebrate with one more beach bash for the summer. Without exception, the hotel staff was way beyond friendly and did everything in their power to make it a special trip, especially for my daughter. The rooms were spacious and absolutely clean, the cabana was comfortable as could be, the beach and pools were beautiful, the food and drinks at the hotel were delicious... I really can't rave enough about the place. We will be going back as soon as the weather warms up a bit in spring and are SO looking forward to the trip. As lovely as the hotel and environs were, though, really, what made the trip so perfect was the staff. A huge thanks to all of them.

Room Tip: We stayed in an ocean front room on the 5th floor and found the view to be gorgeous.

Laura F,
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. We are delighted to hear we were able to make your family's stay here special and honored that you chose such an event to spend with us! We look forward to making your next stay in the spring just as great!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

If you're looking for a quick, affordable amazing US beach resort get away, this place is a good option.

I decided to treat myself to a quick solo pamper-trip and wanted an ocean view (was coming from Atlanta) - this place did the trick...the price was fair, the room was nice, and the view was EPIC. This was just what the doctor ordered and I felt totally fine being at the resort solo for a two day stay. The view and grounds matched or exceeded what I've experienced in Hawaii or Jamaica...definitely feels tropical and relaxed.

The pros:
View (request a high floor), ocean front
Room - spacious, nice furnishings, large deck
Grounds/location - lovely and secluded...you could be anywhere in the carribbean or Hawaii (reminded me of Wailea/makena a bit)
Price - very good offering for price if you time it right

The cons:
Food - ick!!!ordered dinner for room service and it wasn't good - only half the meal was edible :(. Eat out and bring snacks to stock your mini fridge. The food prices are super high and the quality is mediocre. The gift shop charges $5 for a candy bar, but there is ONE vending machine with food hidden on the 2nd floor...I was solo and didn't want to venture out alone late night, so that vending machine saved me from going to bed hungry.

Service: most people were pleasant but not very helpful. I went into the gift shop and the lady ignored me as I stood to purchase and proceeded to dig in her ear while answering a question about the cookies - I also had to call front desk twice for each question I had to get the actual answers needed to pretty basic questions (where is there a vending machine?)

• Stayed: September 2013

esd18,
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. We are so pleased to hear you were able to enjoy a quick getaway to our resort and relax. I am sorry for some of the inconveniences you encountered while staying with us regarding the food choices and helpfulness you were provided. We will be using this as a training tool to prevent issues like this from occurring in the future and do hope you will come back to visit soon!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have to say we were nervous booking this hotel based on all of the reviews. We did email our preferences stating that both of us have allergies and are sensitive to mold and deodorizer. Upon arrival, the entrance was nice and the lobby grand and beautiful. Loved the decanters of icy fresh fruit water. We checked in early and our room on the 9th floor was ocean front and renovated. We were there right after Labor Day weekend and missed the crowds. The room was spacious and beds comfy. Bathroom was large with nice amenities and updated everything There was also a fridge in the room, a plus. The pool area is fabulous with a 13 ft pool to plunge in, did I say it is HOT!!!! in SC! The pool side servers were pleasant and our food was served quickly and was tasty. Burgers, hummus plate and salads really good. Beach was easily accessible. No waves and only up to your knee caps and really warm. the cafe also had a nice espresso machine so I was able to get an afternoon jolt. We had a wonderful stay here. Would come back again if I had the opportunity.

Room Tip: 910 was an updated spacious room and ocean front

Cris G,
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. We are thrilled to hear about your stay with us and look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

This the second year in a row we have gone for our vacation to Hilton Head Marriot resort. The beach is beautiful for walking or riding a bike. If you don't like the salt water there are 3 pools to cool off in plus a kiddie pool. There are plenty of lounge chairs to relax and read or people watch either in the sun or shade. The staff is very freindly and helpful. The only thing I would change is add a micowave in the rooms. We will return again next year.

• Stayed: September 2013

bccowan,
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. We are delighted to hear what a great stay you had with us and look forward to making next years stay even better than the last!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Very nice hotel, a bit pricey, but nice ocean view rooms. We got engaged on a visit here in 2007. The breakfast buffet is the best I've had anywhere...great variety of food on the buffet and fresh prepared omelettes to order. Location is close to most sought after activities on Hilton Head Island. Good service and clean rooms as well. Concierge service is helpful in planning your vacation day activities. Nice pool as well.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is a must here.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

robd216,
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. We are so excited to hear about the nice visit you had with us! We look forward to your next stay with us so that we can make it even greater than the last!