“Nice (last-minute) weekend getaway”

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Columbia, SC
“Nice (last-minute) weekend getaway”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband wanted an oceanfront hotel, I wanted a comfortable bed, the kids wanted an indoor pool, and we needed to take them school shopping (outlets). With a certain budget in mind, we had to choose between unknown hotels in Myrtle Beach or the Marriott (which we prefer) in Hilton Head. (Marriott Oceanfronts in Myrtle Beach this time of the year are usually booked or overpriced.) We chose Hilton Head and it was the best decision ever! I'm always hesitant when I read hotel reviews because you don't know the people giving them. What may be nice to one person may not work for me. I admit that I am a hotel snob. When I go in a room, I'm checking linens, bathrooms, floors...everything. This Marriott is an older property but that didn't take away from our experience. We stayed on the 5th floor. We had a great view of the pool and the ocean. Spacious room, bathroom and balcony... My family of four had plenty of room to move around. Even with the rain, we all got what we wanted out of the trip.

There were some issues... The indoor pool was heated but the room was freezing. The bubbles in the hot tub looked dirty (people were coming in directly from the beach). We found some staff who came and fixed those issues. There was a wait for breakfast that Saturday morning. The young lady seated several people before us. We were having such a good time, I decided not to make a big deal about it.

My husband surprised me with a massage. It was my first time using a Marriott spa. The ambience, the experience... It exceeded my expectations and made up for all the minor issues :-). The tip was automatically included in the price. I've never done that before but it was worth every penny!

I go to Myrtle Beach for my job sometimes. However, when it comes to vacation and relaxation, I would choose Hilton Head and this Marriott again.

Room Tip: Choose higher than the 5th floor if you want more privacy from the pool area
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
ADM611,
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. It sounds like you had a wonderful and relaxing stay with us and we look forward to providing that for your next trip to Hilton Head! I am sorry to hear you had a few issues but I am very glad to hear we were able to get those issues taken care of and make up for them through our service and your experience! We look forward to your next stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel for the last 7 years and this year was a total disappointment. It has gone downhill fast. Rooms are in terrible need of renovating - paint peeling, marks on walls and the carpets in the rooms are just disgusting. So much sand in the carpet a steam cleaner couldn't even help. I see someone else posted that the rooms are slated for renovation this fall....the front desk told me it was after the end of the summer 2014.

I can't believe this hotel was upgraded to a level 6 on the Marriott points scale. I used 60K points for 2 nights - total waste of points. Marriott needs to re-evaluate the level of this hotel. I would say a level 3 would be a stretch. They have also dropped a lot of the family activities they used to do (or they do them in a much scaled back manor and now charge for them). On top of that the housekeepers were non-existent and the pool was totally disgusting. It was so cloudy you could not even see the bottom. The pool guy was there testing the water and I asked him what was up - his answer was it was everyone's sunscreen. That is a crock - resort pools are full of people all the time and it was not more crowded than any other year and I have never seen it look like this. I would not let my kids get in it - totally gross.

Robin M,
Thank you for posting this review of our property. We will be undergoing the renovation as planned at the end of the summer season as planned. I do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Please email us at hiltonheadays@columbiasussex.com to discuss your stay in further detail.
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from a 6 night stay at the Resort in Hilton Head. Staff was exceptional. Rooms were spacious. Upgraded to nice Oceanfront. The rooms are scheduled to be renovated this fall which will elevate the experience. Great tennis and bike trails. I would recommend renting bikes for the week off premise. The daily rate is a bit prohibitive.

• Stayed August 2013
DRur62,
Thank you so much for posting this review of the property. We are so excited to hear what a great stay you had with us. We hope you will come back to visit soon to enjoy some more rest and relaxation!
Georgia
Reviewed August 17, 2013

As other have said, this is in a great location on the island, ocean front on a nice section of the beach, with easy access and parking. Beach front room on 5th floor had a great view and nice balcony -- very relaxing and restful. But, for a Marriott Resort & Spa it absolutely needs a significant facelift. Had a room at the end of a hall and had virtually no wi-fi access; however the hotel did waive the resort fee that supposedly covers wi-fi. Bottom line: it's an OK hotel, but not up to Marriott and Hilton Head standards.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DrSwampy
Don C,
Thank you for posting this review of our property. We are pleased to announce we will be undergoing a full property renovation at the end of the next summer season in 2014. We will be getting that “facelift” you so desire and look forward to having a fresh new product for our guests to enjoy. We are also working on our wireless internet. We have changed companies now and are working out all of the kinks so that the next time you come to visit these issues should be resolved. We do hope you come back to visit soon so that you too can enjoy all of the changes that will be happening at the Hilton Head Marriott Resort and Spa.
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was our first trip to HHI, and as Marriott Platinum members, we expect a lot from Marriott. The Island did not disappoint. This Marriott property has seen better days, and while we understand that beach-front real estate takes a beating, that is no excuse for peeling paint, loose tiles, or dirty carpeting. For the most part, we saw folks hard at work maintaining things -- the groundskeepers were very busy trimming (buzzzz....), and there was always somebody cheerfully hosing the sand off the deck under the showers just off the beach. Still, for a Marriott property, we expected more. Beds were comfy, yes, but there were no linens for the pull-out, and the extra blanket they brought was far inferior to those on the beds. We understand the pull-out is an "extra," but aren't the guests on the pull-out just as valued as those in the beds? Just a thought.

2 Thank AZSportyMom
AZSportyMom,
Thank you for posting this review of our property. We are pleased to announce we will be undergoing a full property renovation and are looking forward to having all the new products and furnishings to provide for our guests. We hope you will come back to stay with us so that you too may enjoy all the updates we will be sharing with our guests once the renovation is complete.
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

You can't beat the ocean front location. Nothing like being able to walk out of the hotel and on to the beach. However, there are downsides. The place has gone to seed--ragged carpet edges, broken furniture, stains on the drapes (seriously!). The lobby is all hard surfaces and very loud. Our rooms were on the third floor--which opened to the lobby so there was a lot of noise drifting up and into the rooms. The staff just seemed sort of stunned, as if they were not sure what they should be doing. The concierge was useless. Look elsewhere. Fabulous HHI has a wealth of places to stay.

Room Tip: Insist on a room about the third floor.
3 Thank collegevisitor014
Collegevisitor014,
Thank you for posting this review of our property. We will be undergoing a full hotel renovation at the end of the next summer season and are excited to have a fresh new product for our guests to enjoy. We are sorry to hear the staff were not helpful for you during your stay. We do hope you will choose to give us a second chance so that we may give you a better opinion of us.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My stay at the Hilton Head Marriott was mediocre, and I can definitely say I've stayed at nicer hotels on the island. The resort was incredibly crowded and the first room they gave me was absolutely lousy. It faced out onto the roof and was right beside the noisy air conditioning units. I thought this was ridiculous--especially for $269 per night. They should either re-purpose that space or give a really deep discount for staying in them.
I had gnats in my room and it was also a little bit moldy which triggered my allergies. The facility is definitely overdue for a renovation/upgrade--worn carpet, stripping paint on the ceiling, old bathrooms.

On a positive note, the staff was very friendly and attentive. Overall, the service was the high point of my stay. The food was decent, and I liked the fitness room. Of course, the beach is always beautiful.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms are on the beach side of the hotel. Odd numbered rooms face parking lot. Odd n...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SCoke
Scoke,
Thank you for posting this review of our property. We are excited to announce we are anticipating a full property renovation at the end of the next summer season in 2014. I do want to apologize for the state the room was in and your comment will be passed on to the departments in charge of these issues so that we may find a better solution for our guests in the future.