“Moldy”

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We are currently staying here for the second time and nothing has changed in 6 years. It was old feeling and mildew-smelling last time as well as this time. We are here with a group sponsored vacation, so we haven't complained, but, I wouldn't spend my own money to stay here. My son had his first asthma attack the last time we were here, as we have since found out mold is a major trigger for him, so we came prepared with multiple meds this time. Good thing as the mildew smell is overwhelming!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank whitschick
HiltonHeadManagement, Manager at Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

whitschick,
Thank you for posting this review of our property. We have informed our engineering department of your stay both the past one and present so that they may work to see how this can be fixed. We will also be undergoing a full renovation of the property beginning in the next few months and look forward to having a fresh new product for our guests to enjoy. We hope you will reconsider and come back to visit soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,059)

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is our 3rd visit to this excellent resort. We love the location right on the beach and the view from the ocean front rooms. I did not find any negatives that many post have claimed. Yes it may be a little dated and is going to be updated beginning in September. There was plenty of room and chairs at the pools. We enjoyed the hamburgers and hot dogs grilled poolside on Saturday and the breakfast buffet in the mornings. The staff is very professional and courteous. Very helpful. The TV's have been upgraded since our last visit and wi-fi is included in the $15 resort fee. Our grandchildren enjoyed a free activity Saturday evening making Smor's at a fire pit led by the activity staff. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: 3rd floor can be noisy and less of a view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

cincyredsfan_10
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. We are so delighted to hear what a wonderful time you had with us and to hear the nice things you have to stay regarding our service and amenities. We look forward to having you with us during your next trip to Hilton Head!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have really mixed feeling about writing this review...because the staff is A#1 in the service recovery process but this is the second time I have stayed here and I will not be returning. I go to Hilton Head every year for about 10 days...usuallly stayed at the Hilton (which is now an Omni) so thought I would try something different. I arrived at 10 pm on a Saturday night and for a 9 night stay was assigned room 313. This room overlooks the roof of the garage but what is even worse is that a person walking on the roof could potentially come right up to your sliding glass door.and enter your room if you forgot to lock the sliding door. Keep in mind that I was paying $300++ for the room. They offered to change my room the next day....they did but it was not a seamless process and my view was not that great still...just above the tree tops. The rooms are very tired and the entire place needs a complete renovation. especially for the prices they charge. I've worked in the hospitality area for 30 years (even shared an office with Steve Marriott once) so Marriott really needs to invest some dollars in a major re-do. No magnifying mirrors in the bathroom and very very cheap radio/clocks.
My other pet peeves:
The resort fee does not include use of the business center,#2 they will not give you a consecutive rate on the beach chairs unless you tell them the day before.and then they want to suggest a gratuity to set up the chair....isn't that what I'm paying for??
Servers in the restaurant were good but the women bartenders at the main pool bar ignored the women and doted on the male customers.
My final straw came on my departure day...I called down to watch the finals of wimbledon on the bar tv - It took 45 minutes for someone to respond even though I called the operator 3 times. Finally grabbed a food and beverage manager from the pool but he couldn't figure out how to get it to turn on.. I missed the finals of Wimbledon with Andy Murray being the first Brit to win the title after 70 years. I was crazed by this time and the manager got me an ice tea an we found anotber TV (too late) but again good service recovery. I cannot reccomend this place due to the tired nature of the rooms and public areas. Missing the Hilton days and would reccommend the Omni over this aging dinasour of a hotel

Room Tip: Don't even think about going unless you are going to pay for an ocean front view not worth it...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank tennislady52

tennislady52,
Thank you for posting this review of our property. Guest feedback is the best source we have to use to show us what we need to improve upon. We would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our staff's service and great service recovery. We do want to apologize for the issues you have encountered and we will be letting each of our respective departments know about your stay. Beginning in the next few months our hotel will be undergoing a full renovation of the hotel. The beach chairs as well as the beach however belong to the city of Hilton Head and lifeguards are under their employ but regardless we would like to also apologize for their correspondence with you family. We do hope you reconsider not staying with us as we will soon be the most recently renovated hotel on the island and look forward to providing a fresh new product for our guests to enjoy!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Great Location in Palmetto Dunes Resort...I made a mistake in booking a Resort View room. Which was my mistake. Gave us a big room, but Resort view was of parking lot, horrible, The next morning I went to front desk. I was nice but said I could not look at a parking lot for 4 days...Terreze and Linda worked the front desk and went above and beyond to find us a great oceanfront room.
We will stay again!!

Room Tip: Oceanfront is the only way to go...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

daisymarley,
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. It is always nice to hear about the great service we are able to provide to our guests. We are so pleased to hear you were able to upgrade to one of our ocean front rooms and enjoy the view! We hope to see you back at our property soon to enjoy another great ocean front stay!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Great location with easy access to the beach. Beach location was pretty good, crowded but not overwhelming.
If most of your concern is hanging out at the beach and having a place to sleep this is pretty good. Be cautious of the room descriptions as "ocean front" can mean the smaller building to the side, still ok view though.
The downside to the hotel, at least for my room which was on in the smaller building (to the left of their picture) on the 5th (top) floor: The ceiling looks to have been patched many times. The walls show previous leaks, you will never be able to have anything stay dry in the room as the humidity level was amazing (drinks go flat within minutes, ice melts quick, clothes stay damp, etc). The entire room was humid and had the old musty smell to it. Was OK though, it is at the beach after all and I would consider staying there again.
ALL of the staff were very polite and professional.

Room Tip: Beware of the side building if you are expecting a direct ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JustMe31093

JustMe31093,
Thank you for posting this review of our property. We want to apologize for the condition your room was in. There will be a full hotel renovation beginning within the next few months! We are grateful that our staff we so polite and professional with you during their stay and hope you will come back to visit us soon for an even better ocean front visit!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Although we knew ahead of time that the resort would be going through renovations starting Nov., I was shocked at how run down the rooms actually were. Our first night's stay was in a room with mold & cobwebs on the ceiling and ripped up carpet, and the toilet overflowed literally into the hallway. My husband showed pictures & we got another room for the rest of our stay, but the musty scent was always present. On 4th of July, they grilled out on the pool deck area & it was delicious & well-worth the price; however, in the hotel's restaurant buffet the next night, my daughter had metal in her beef & the chef said he would take care of it, but never returned. It later got taken off the bill, only after my husband addressed it. The lobby was nice & the staff was friendly; however, it I would NOT recommend staying there until after they've revamped the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

LakeMom2,
Thank you for posting this review of our property. Guest feedback is the best source we have to use to show us what we need to improve upon. I do apologize about the condition your room was in when you first arrived but I am happy to hear we were able to find you another room for your stay. I also would like to apologize for the inconvenience we presented to you by your having to bring up the issue with your daughters drink not once but twice. We will be addressing that. As you stated we will be undergoing a full renovation of the hotel and we look forward to the new fresh product we will have to offer just as much as you do! We do hope you come back to stay with us so that you too will be able to enjoy all the perks a freshly renovated property can offer!

Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

The hotel grounds were meticulously kept and the outdoor pool area was roomy and always alive with music and food. Staying on the beach was not only fabulous, but so convenient for a family traveling with small children.

• Stayed: April 2013

cllyon,
Thank you so much for posting this review of our property. We are so humbled to hear what a great experience you had while staying with us! We hope you come back to stay with us again soon!