“disappointing stay at favorite hotel”

Hilton Head Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I recently stayed at the HH Marriott Resort & Spa from Wednesday, June 27th through Monday, July 1st (5 nights). Let me preface this by saying that my family and I have been coming down to Hilton Head Island for over 25 years. We love HH and we love Marriott. We are timeshare owners at Marriott’s Harbour Pointe in Shelter Cove and either add an extra day/night at the Marriott Resort & Spa to the beginning or end of our week. This year, we could not use our timeshare week and decided to stay at the hotel for a total of five nights instead. I initially called the reservation line for silver members and was told that the hotel was completely booked for part of our stay. I begged, pleaded and said we were Marriott timeshare owners but they could not accommodate us in any way. Totally booked – sorry. Sure enough, I kept checking the Marriott website and about two weeks later, there was availability. I was very happy, but very angry at the same time. This is how we’re treated after 25 years?

Our stay was pleasant, but disappointing. We were given an upgrade upon arrival, but to a room with two queen beds instead of the king originally requested. Otherwise, check-in was quick and pleasant. The elevators? Not so much. They are extremely outdated and painfully slow. Then, once you (finally) get in, you’re packed in like sardines. Rooms were clean and tidy, but the cleaning service often didn’t show up until past 3:00 p.m. That, to me at least, is completely ridiculous. I called downstairs twice to have our room cleaned and they still did not show up. When they finally did, we took a couple of fresh towels and told them thanks but no thanks. If your staff cannot finish cleaning rooms in a reasonable amount of time, hire more people. Also, it seems like the hotel may be turning into a conference hotel - so many guests were walking around with badges and business attire, which was annoying and not relaxing during a peek vacation period at a family hotel. I bet this is the reason why we couldn’t get a room in the first place – very disappointing.

On a positive note, the beds are extremely comfy (but be warned – walls are thin so you will have problems if you’re a light sleeper and have loud neighbors) and the staff extremely friendly and helpful – especially the pool staff. Food at the pool was delicious and not too outrageously priced. Beach is gorgeous as always and this hotel is in a prime location –Palmetto Dunes. The hotel is probably the best compared to others in the area (Omni, Westin, etc) but they can definitely improve on certain things, minus the overall pleasant attitude of the staff.

1  Thank Caitlin E
Write a ReviewReviews (2,059)

Reviewed June 29, 2012

Stayed here from June 24th to June 27th 2012 and had an excellent time. The staff were super friendly and even let us check in at 1:30 (normal check in is 4pm)...do get their early...at 4pm this place was a madhouse! The room #569 was an oceanview room and did have a beautiful view...for the best shot of the sunrise ask for a room that faces towards the outdoor pool (but any room on the 5th floor with oceanview is gonna be pretty serene). The room itself was nice with a kingbed and balcony with 2 chairs and a table. The rooms do not have microwaves but do have a nice easy to use safe that will swallow a macbook along with an average sized mini-fridge. Cell service is spotty here and Wifi is extra which was a plus so I could keep my better half off her phone, but for business could be a problem. The bathroom was nice with quality toiletries, however there was a hair in the shower floor and dark spot in the ceiling outside the bathroom that looked like it could be mold(reason i took off a star at ~$300 a night i expect better). The bed was nice and clean as was the rest of the room. Booked on Marriott.com and didnt have to pay a resort fee. All the staff was extremely accomodating and friendly...the breakfast buffett in the Cafe is awesome. My gf said the spa was also one of the nicest and most professional she has been to. The restaurant Conroys while expensive has a very good deal from 5:00-6:30 thats half the price at ~16 for a 3 course per person. The beach is very accessible and so is the pool however both can get very busy even midweek. Our favorite feature was the hammock area which is free to use and partially hidden away...definitely don't miss it! Overall I will most likely stay here again as I feel that while expensive for me its an overall good value for the HHI area.

Room Tip: Pay for the oceanview rooms as the other side just overlooks the parking lot and ask for 4th floor o...
1  Thank vincent c
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Stayed here with the family over Memorial day. The resort is wonderful, with great pools, acess to miles of clean beach, fun kids activities, and good food. Room was resort view with nice balcony, and beds very comfortable. Staff were great and concerge always had good suggestions for excellent restaurants. We have been going here for the past 4 years for conferences and it has never gotten old. We are looking forward to next year.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank hjk1962
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed June 16-20th,...and we truly enjoyed our stay. Booked on Hotwire, and there was no difference in service, which was superb...in fact the concierge Sue, was outstanding...but all were great. Nice beach, bar, restaurant and pools.
The area of Palmetto Dunes has a lot to offer, as do all the other distinct communities. It will take many visits to familiarize ...and hope to do that. Golf was top notch, and not half as pricey as I had heard. If booked through the hotel, many courses are discounted, Very happy Mother Nature complied, as we were outdoors most of the time.
Suggestion for next visit...buy beach chairs and small umbrella,...leave in room for next guest.

Room Tip: call to confirm they have Marriott rewards number on file for upgraded room,...if booked outside of...
3  Thank gricca79
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Nice place but the worst hotel as far as communication is concerned. Had reservations for fri. and sat. called ahead to add thur. on thur about noon showed up and although i had an email conf. on my phone they had no record of it. Stayed in a different room after much hassle moved over to the new room on fri room was ready maid called front desk i saw her call saying room was ready took front desk another two hours to give us keys said they never got confirmation room was ready. I was also over charged $750.00 called 4 days to try to contact billing dept. nobody called me back so I had to dispute charges to my credit card. Poor Poor customer relations. Wedding coordinator Melainie was only bright spot she was good. FYI I accually had employees tell me BIG problem in hotel with communication within hotel. We were there for a wedding spent easily 20 grand and every time I asked for anything it was too much trouble. I knew we were in trouble when we wanted to book a room block back in December of 20 rooms I wanted all the rooms on the same floor and before they would even consider it or try to make it happen the said NO it can't be done. WHY????? not even try. I knew I was in trouble then. Have a wedding planned for Hilton Head look elsewhere

Reviewed June 18, 2012

My family just returned from a four night stay. The hotel could use some updating here and there, but overall it was great--extremely friendly staff, great views from an oceanfront room, relaxing pool, nicely landscaped grounds, very well equipped fitness center. I don't like getting nickeled and dimed with charges--$10/day to use the steam room, $10/day to park, 85 cents/minute to use the internet in the business center, $ to rent beach chairs and chaise lounges--but the positives outweighed the negatives for me, especially since the nightly rate was not outrageous for an oceanfront hotel with a private beach. We will stay here again next year if we return to HH.

2  Thank Sam S
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Stayed here for a week on an annual trip to HHI, this was by far one of the best vacations we have had. This resort is beautiful. We upgraded to an oceanfront room and slept with the door open every night falling asleep to the sound of the ocean. The staff here is incredibly friendly and goes out of their way to make sure you are having a pleasant stay. We had liquid refreshments and lunches poolside, enjoyed the breakfast buffet, and ate dessert one night in the local lounge. The hotel is kept clean, the pool area is fantastic with chairside service, a hammock area, and entertainment on the pool deck on the weekends. There is always a daily drink special and lunch special, they had planned activities for kids daily, and it is all oceanside with a great beach. Some of the rooms need some paint and updating, but this hotel rocks with it's location and fantastic staff!!

Room Tip: Ask to updrade to a ocean front room!!
1  Thank snshn07