“Definitely in need of an update”

Marriott's Barony Beach Club
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I couldn't agree more with the "Nice location, average property" review. We too are Marriott vacation owners and have stayed at MANY different Marriott properties across the country and in Aruba. Barony Beach is one of our least favorites. Locally, we have also stayed at the Marriott Grande Ocean In Hilton Head twice and three times at Surfwatch. Both of those properties are far superior to this one. Although Surfwatch is much newer, I believe the Grande Ocean is older (or around the same age) as Barony Beach, but you would never know. The owners of Grande Ocean have done a wonderful job in maintaining the high standards that Marriott Vacation Club owners have come to appreciate. Unfortunately I can not say the same about Barony Beach. One of the reasons my husband and I chose this property is that not only did we want to try another Marriott property but we knew that Barony Beach had a garden side pool with a waterslide. Our two children, ages 12 and 9, unfortunately are not as easily entertained by "normal" pools as they were when they were younger, so we always try and find a resort that caters to their ages. The first day we arrived at Barony Beach my children immediately wanted to go over to the pool with the waterslide. Unfortunately it was closed. We were told many different stories by various Marriott workers as to why; there was a broken part, they don't open it because it is "slow season", etc. so we finally asked one of the managers hoping that he would tell us the real story. He was quite shocked when we asked why the slide was closed. He explained that the slide "should" be open from 12-3 and assured us it would be open the following day. Quess what? The slide was once again closed the following day. At this point we got tired of asking. Bottom line: Why have a pool at a property that you can not use? I don't buy the "broken part" story. If there is a broken part, does it really take over a week to fix it and why would a "manager "tell us the slide would be open when it never was? It was closed the entire week we were there! If you are not a Marriott owner, you are probably thinking by now that I am being very "picky", but the truth is that this is NOT normally the Marriott way. Normally Marriott caters to children, especially at their timeshares, and if there is a "problem" at one of their resorts, they are normally on top of it . The other "problems" we encountered while staying here is the attitude of some of the employees. On one incident my son and I were walking along the path from the oceanside pool back to our room and we practically were pushed out of the way by a Marriott employee that was obviously in a hurry to get back to the front desk. As we walked he shouted "EXCUSE ME" . It was so loud I actually was startled. We had to stop walking and move aside to let him by. Why couldn't he walk around us? It was pretty obvious he was annoyed that we were walking so slow. Another incident was with the poolside bartender. During our stay we frequently ate lunch and ordered drinks at the poolside bar. There were two female bartenders working there the entire week of our stay. One of them had an "attitude" that I have never seen at Marriott. On one of our first days here, my husband had asked to use the house phone (he wanted to again check to see if they had opened the slide), but instead of graciously giving him the phone, he was asked "Why do you need it?" in a very unprofessional manner. When he explained that he wanted to call the front desk she got very defensive and said "What do you need THEM for?" Really? All of this may sound like little issues to most, and they probably are at properties OTHER than Marriott Vacation properties, but the norm that we have come to expect is employees going out of their way with a smile and a kind "hello", employees willing to go "above and beyond". This was definitely NOT the case at Barony Beach. I could not agree more with the previous reviewer on not only the disrepair of the resort but also on cheap quality of the unit furniture. It really was NOT up to the normal Marriott standard. As you can probably tell by now, I really don't have much positive to say about this resort. In all honesty, if you have kids, don't stay here...chose Grande Ocean or Surfwatch. They are much nicer properties.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank allenamarilyn
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Barony Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of Marriott's Barony Beach Club. While we appreciate your feedback, it is disappointing to hear that your experience was not up to the Marriott standard you expect and deserve. We have addressed your concerns with the resort management team and also followed-up with the supervisor of the front desk associates you encountered so corrective action can be taken. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact our customer care team at 800 860 9384 or via email at customer.care@vacationclub.com.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is a timeshare with Marriott and though I do not promote time shares I will say this is a nice timeshare. However, be careful because this is October and not so many kids around. If you have little ones try the Garden side which has a great play area for kids. The ocean is just steps away what ever side you choose. I am lucky this year because I have a great view of the ocean. Other amenities, 1 indoor pool, at least three outdoor pools, a bar and a small market. You can rent bikes, sign up for golf and there are always activities planned. For me strolling on the beach, golfing and just sitting back and relaxing are the key. October is quieter than when I have come in April which is fine with me. All in all a pretty nice place, bad part they will try to sell you a timeshare at another Barony property.

Room Tip: If you like a view get one of the front units, as in the back unit there is tree coverage. Also a ju...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Booked our last minute stay at the Marriott Barony Beach Club. It was a quick getaway for 2 nights but we enjoyed our stay. Villa had a full kitchen, dining room, living room with flat screen TV, large porch. Master bedroom with large jetted tub and a second bedroom with a large jetted tub. Washer/Dryer in unit. Went to the beach and rented chairs/umbrellas one day and went to one of the pools also. My young son loved the splash pad! He had so much fun and was sad to leave! We definitely enjoyed our stay and would return!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Let me begin with a full disclosure. I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards member and my husband and I have owned a Marriott Vacation club timeshare for eight years. Our home resort is Grande Vista in Orlando, however, we have stayed there only once. We exchanged yearly through Interval to stay at various other Marriott locations in Aruba, Palm Springs and Myrtle Beach. Two years ago we stayed at Marriott Surf Watch in Hilton Head. Compared to other Marriott properties we found this location to be "tired" and in need of renovation. The staff, location and amenities were great but we were disappointed in the overall quality of the unit (2 bedroom/9400 building). The carpet was worn, the master bath was very dated and the kitchen stove had rust along the bottom. The garbage disposal in our unit needed to be repaired twice during our 1 week stay; both times the response was very prompt. We did enjoy the large balcony; plenty of room for 4 people to eat and relax. The gym and bike rentals were also very nice. The pool area was very nice but also in need of maintenance. Paint and stucco were chipped around the hot tubs and the restroom at the pool was in need of an update. All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Barony Beach Club but the property fell short of what we have experienced at other Marriott locations.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We really enjoyed a fun filled week at the Barony Beach Club in July 2013. The 2 BR, 2 BA oceanside villa was in great condition, parking was easy in and out. The beach was easy to access and not over crowded.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The extra mile - couldn't find the free USA Today paper - after being showed where it was, the next day, the papers were in a more noticeable spot
The extra mile - arrived Sunday night and had parking outside the building - since inside the building had a lot of empty spots they said I could park inside the first night and then check each day if okay to do it the next day
The extra mile - have a Chevy Volt (Electric) and they have no charging station (Plans in the future). Directed to Director of Operations and they dedicated one of the slots where the maintenance carts recharge - gave me an orange cone to save the spot when out. Memo went to staff to save the spot for me.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank David W
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My family took a vacation to Hilton Head Island in May and after considering several options I chose the Barony Beach Club thanks to a discount offered to Marriott elite members. I was not disappointed in my selection. From reading the TripAdvisor reviews, I knew not to expect to get a suite in an oceanfront building. Sure enough, only Courtyard and Garden buildings were available; despite concerns about the possible noise from construction, I booked a Courtyard suite. A day before arrival, I decided to re-check Marriott's website just in case something had come open. Not only did an Oceanfront suite appear available, it was at a lower rate than what I had booked the Courtyard for. I called the hotel, with no expectations. The lady in reservations immediately moved us to an oceanfront suite.....

....and boy do I mean oceanfront. Even though there are two oceanfront buildings, the majority of the rooms in these buildings still face the courtyard, so one must crane his or her neck out over the balcony to actually glimpse the ocean. Only a handful of the suites are truly ocean-facing, and we were lucky enough to get one. Spacious, immaculately clean, and with a fully-stocked kitchen, it was jaw-dropping enough that I immediately contacted the front desk to extend for an extra day if possible. Again, this was done with no fuss. All suites are two-bedroom, with a king in the master and two doubles in the second bedroom; each suite also has a full-sized, fully-stocked laundry room.

My family loved the feature pool and the very short walk to the beautiful, clean beach; mostly, though, I loved how every member of the staff was pleasant, accommodating, and in the rare case when something was not perfect, apologetic to the point of embarrassment. Of note: the kiddie pool by the Garden building seemed to have a very slick bottom when we first tried it out; sure enough, a few hours later a man fell and hit his head and the pool was closed for safety inspection and repairs for the rest of our stay. While this was certainly disappointing for the kids, it also shows that the hotel was taking the problem seriously. In any event, there was no shortage of other activities to replace it.

This is an absolutely capstone Marriott vacation property and one of the best hotel experiences I have had. For example, we stayed over Mother's Day weekend, and my wife was given a rose at check-in. It was the little touches like this that make the property truly stand out. If you're looking for an unforgettable beach vacation on Hilton Head, this is the place.

My only caveat: before our stay, I was contacted by a salesperson who was hawking Marriott's timeshare program. She contacted me while I was at work, and despite my repeated attempts to explain to her that I needed to speak with her at a later time, she persisted. Part of this call was set up to sound as if our family had to attend an off-property seminar on timeshares in order to claim our discount; while I called this tactic out fairly quickly, it's a tacky approach and hardly befitting of the Marriott brand.

Room Tip: There are three classifications of buildings containing the suites: Oceanfront, Courtyard, and Garde...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family