“Enjoyed our stay!”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Acworth, Georgia
“Enjoyed our stay!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Booked our last minute stay at the Marriott Barony Beach Club. It was a quick getaway for 2 nights but we enjoyed our stay. Villa had a full kitchen, dining room, living room with flat screen TV, large porch. Master bedroom with large jetted tub and a second bedroom with a large jetted tub. Washer/Dryer in unit. Went to the beach and rented chairs/umbrellas one day and went to one of the pools also. My young son loved the splash pad! He had so much fun and was sad to leave! We definitely enjoyed our stay and would return!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Let me begin with a full disclosure. I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards member and my husband and I have owned a Marriott Vacation club timeshare for eight years. Our home resort is Grande Vista in Orlando, however, we have stayed there only once. We exchanged yearly through Interval to stay at various other Marriott locations in Aruba, Palm Springs and Myrtle Beach. Two years ago we stayed at Marriott Surf Watch in Hilton Head. Compared to other Marriott properties we found this location to be "tired" and in need of renovation. The staff, location and amenities were great but we were disappointed in the overall quality of the unit (2 bedroom/9400 building). The carpet was worn, the master bath was very dated and the kitchen stove had rust along the bottom. The garbage disposal in our unit needed to be repaired twice during our 1 week stay; both times the response was very prompt. We did enjoy the large balcony; plenty of room for 4 people to eat and relax. The gym and bike rentals were also very nice. The pool area was very nice but also in need of maintenance. Paint and stucco were chipped around the hot tubs and the restroom at the pool was in need of an update. All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Barony Beach Club but the property fell short of what we have experienced at other Marriott locations.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We really enjoyed a fun filled week at the Barony Beach Club in July 2013. The 2 BR, 2 BA oceanside villa was in great condition, parking was easy in and out. The beach was easy to access and not over crowded.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The extra mile - couldn't find the free USA Today paper - after being showed where it was, the next day, the papers were in a more noticeable spot
The extra mile - arrived Sunday night and had parking outside the building - since inside the building had a lot of empty spots they said I could park inside the first night and then check each day if okay to do it the next day
The extra mile - have a Chevy Volt (Electric) and they have no charging station (Plans in the future). Directed to Director of Operations and they dedicated one of the slots where the maintenance carts recharge - gave me an orange cone to save the spot when out. Memo went to staff to save the spot for me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank David W
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My family took a vacation to Hilton Head Island in May and after considering several options I chose the Barony Beach Club thanks to a discount offered to Marriott elite members. I was not disappointed in my selection. From reading the TripAdvisor reviews, I knew not to expect to get a suite in an oceanfront building. Sure enough, only Courtyard and Garden buildings were available; despite concerns about the possible noise from construction, I booked a Courtyard suite. A day before arrival, I decided to re-check Marriott's website just in case something had come open. Not only did an Oceanfront suite appear available, it was at a lower rate than what I had booked the Courtyard for. I called the hotel, with no expectations. The lady in reservations immediately moved us to an oceanfront suite.....

....and boy do I mean oceanfront. Even though there are two oceanfront buildings, the majority of the rooms in these buildings still face the courtyard, so one must crane his or her neck out over the balcony to actually glimpse the ocean. Only a handful of the suites are truly ocean-facing, and we were lucky enough to get one. Spacious, immaculately clean, and with a fully-stocked kitchen, it was jaw-dropping enough that I immediately contacted the front desk to extend for an extra day if possible. Again, this was done with no fuss. All suites are two-bedroom, with a king in the master and two doubles in the second bedroom; each suite also has a full-sized, fully-stocked laundry room.

My family loved the feature pool and the very short walk to the beautiful, clean beach; mostly, though, I loved how every member of the staff was pleasant, accommodating, and in the rare case when something was not perfect, apologetic to the point of embarrassment. Of note: the kiddie pool by the Garden building seemed to have a very slick bottom when we first tried it out; sure enough, a few hours later a man fell and hit his head and the pool was closed for safety inspection and repairs for the rest of our stay. While this was certainly disappointing for the kids, it also shows that the hotel was taking the problem seriously. In any event, there was no shortage of other activities to replace it.

This is an absolutely capstone Marriott vacation property and one of the best hotel experiences I have had. For example, we stayed over Mother's Day weekend, and my wife was given a rose at check-in. It was the little touches like this that make the property truly stand out. If you're looking for an unforgettable beach vacation on Hilton Head, this is the place.

My only caveat: before our stay, I was contacted by a salesperson who was hawking Marriott's timeshare program. She contacted me while I was at work, and despite my repeated attempts to explain to her that I needed to speak with her at a later time, she persisted. Part of this call was set up to sound as if our family had to attend an off-property seminar on timeshares in order to claim our discount; while I called this tactic out fairly quickly, it's a tacky approach and hardly befitting of the Marriott brand.

Room Tip: There are three classifications of buildings containing the suites: Oceanfront, Courtyard, and Garde...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JYarba
Orlando, FL
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The two bedroom rooms are really nice. Updated, clean, and in very good shape. The activities were nothing to write home about, but it is off season. The pools are very nice and having an indoor heated pool for those cool days is really nice. The beach is really nice and the location, well, on Hilton head I don't think there is a bad location. Other than this one is on the beach, so that is nice. Everyone was really nice and we never got that look of oh my god, you have a kid that some places have when it is off season. In fact everyone was really nice and people even interacted with my daughter. I really have no complaints, even my location was good. We were in one of the front four buildings, so while we exchanged in, since we are Marriott owners elsewhere, we do get some priority. While we could not see the ocean, it had a really good nature/camping vibe where we were that we really liked. The walk to the ocean was really short.

The only one slight complaint is the bar is only open to 8 PM, we are used to 10 PM at our home resort, so that was not the best. Activities were all earlier than normal for us too. Seems like the town does slightly shut down earlier than other places we are used to.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank IzzyB68
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I bought a legacy week last year as a Marriott resale. Sight unseen and never having been to the island. We feel like we got the jackpot. What a special place. Pristine and tranquil, right on the beach. The weather was not perfect but the condos were well appointed, there were lots of activities and we were happy just to sit on the balcony and appreciate the beautiful grounds. We look forward to many happy memories here in the upcoming years.

• Stayed September 2013