“WOW!”

Marriott's Barony Beach Club
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We spent three days at the Marriott Barony Beach in Hilton Head with our 18 months and 6 years old. We also had six other couple and their kids for a total of three villas. How impress we were when we got there. The rooms were spotless and ready to go. There were friendly people that were also there from far and near. This is maybe one of the Top 3 places I’ve visited and enjoyed. If you have never been, you may want to strongly conceder this place. We have already start planning to stay here night year.

4  Thank Freddie S

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed nine nights in the Jasmine building in the garden villa area. Very nice accommodations.

Our only complaint was that the wireless Internet didn't work well at all. Don't know if it was our building, because we were so far away from the main building? Internet wasn't needed everyday, but it was a little difficult keeping up with emails (from work). Cell phone service wasn't great either. Maybe, AT&T not big provider on the island??

The beach shuttle service was nice. We enjoyed all the pools. Would definitely visit again!! Love, love, love HHI!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Located on a spectacular beach! Upscale accommodations you expect from Marriott. Our timeshare was lovely and well located in the "Live Oak" section. Our concierge Nina Powers was extremely helpful! The food at poolside was average but not overpriced; the hotel would benefil from a real restaurant. Speaking of restaurants, we had an excellent dinners at Vine. We also enjoyed our meals at Bonefish, Black Marlin, Old Oyster Factory.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jss56
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We have a time share there so we go every year. The grounds are so pretty and the beach is probably one of the best beaches in Hilton Head. The pools are nice. Now on to the villas. They are very spacious and clean with a very nice kitchen for cooking in. The only problem with the resort is the dining. There are no restaurants onsite but I guess they want you to enjoy Hilton Head's restaurants which are amazing. Overall, though, it is great. Oh yeah and activities are great for kids and adults, too.

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Carter22
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We spent a week at the Marriott Barony Beach in Hilton Head with our 2 and 5 year old. We arrived a couple of hours early and were pleased that our unit was ready for us. But even if it's not, there is a really nice locker room where you can leave things in a locker, change, etc. The staff at the front desk was very nice and knowledgeable for the most part. The unit was very nice, very similar to other Marriott time share units, glass top tables, granite counter tops, nice appliances etc. One thing that I liked about this unit is that there was a pantry built-in in the kitchen, so there was good storage space. There was adequate room in the unit, the beds were very comfortable, although the living room furniture was a bit hard, but not a huge deal. I liked that the a/c unit shut off when the doors were open for more than 2 minutes, that kept from wasting energy. We were on the ocean side of the resort, there are 4 buildings on the ocean side and 2 buildings on the garden side. There are 4 pools, 3 outside and 1 indoor. The ocean pool and the garden side pool are really geared toward young children, they are zero level entry, the ocean side pool has fountains in it that our kids loved, and the garden side pool had a sea turtle and crab for the kids to play on and a coconut tree where water dumps out of the coconuts, and it has a "splash pad" for the kids where water was shooting up from the grounds and out of gators mouths, etc. Our kids loved that! The ocean side had a small circle of these fountains as well. The garden pool has a large water slide (tube slide, about 2 stories high), it was fun for me, but too much for our kids, even our 5 year old who swims well and typically likes slides was too intimidated by it. There is a life guard on duty for the slide and they close it if the guard isn't there. Although it looks like they are far from each other on the map, you really just have to cross the street to get from the ocean side to the garden side, it is an odd layout, and I was glad that we were on the ocean side so that we were closer to the beach, but I don't think the garden side was as far from the beach as I thought it might be.
The beach is nice, and super wide. It does get crowded, but not too bad. If you don't bring your own chairs, you can rent chairs and umbrellas from the resort. We were amazed by the contrast between high and low tide. The waves are very small, it is gradual, it was really perfect for small children.
The marketplace was bigger than others we have seen and had pizza hut pizza. It was ridiculously expensive of course, but super convenient. There is a beach bar restaurant called All Y'alls, their berry margaritas were good, but the food wasn't that great. I recommend going elsewhere if you are looking for a good dinner out (The Old Oyster Factory or Roastfish and Cornbread). The grounds are really pretty and well maintained. We got some good pictures of the kids in front of the flowers. There are also bench swings all around the property, which I thought was a nice touch. There are a lot of activities and many that are geared towards children (even though you will read a review here that says they aren't - there were plenty for our kids). One thing I liked about the resort is that there are shuffle boards and cornhole (the beanbag game, I think that's what it's called) in the center between the buildings. There are plenty of grills and a lot of people out grilling, my husband enjoyed chatting with all of the guys out grilling each night.
We didn't go to the spa, but they do have a little girls spa, which I peeked into and it was really cute!
The day we checked out, we decided to stay and spend the day at the beach, it worked out well, we just showered and changed in the locker room at the end of the day and headed out.
Overall, it was a good trip. We enjoyed Hilton Head and thought Barony Beach was a really good choice, especially for families with little ones.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the beach, ask for a unit on the ocean side of the resort.
7  Thank maestralaura
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My family and I traveled to Marriot Barony beach through an exchange in Interval International. We were excited to be heading to Hilton Head for the first time. Upon arrival at this resort we were very disappointed by the size and overall layout of resort. This resort is very small in comparison to the many others we've visited. They had activities during the day but they were geared towards adults and not young children..If you are a couple and looking for a getaway this would be good for you. If you are a family this is not a resort for you. Most of the activities centered around adults with wine , beer and other adult activities. The staff was not very friendly or helpful when needed. Our room was not up to par with Marriott standards. The room was not clean , had mold in bathrooms, pipes made a banging noise when water was running. The water itself I would not drink it had a horrible smell to it. The furniture looked beat up with scratches, wobbly legs etc. These rooms are in serious need of rehabing. They did have onsight bike rentals which we took advantage off and were able to explore the island. The Spa was a huge disappointment for this simple reason...my daughter and I decided to tour the spa during one of their open house sessions....the staff was rude to my daughter and did not like the fact she was with me....I think this staff needs to be more open minded to younger girls...afterall there are young girls that do get pedi's and mani's.....and that is what my daughter was interested in getting...after the reception we received we would not step foot back in there! Spa staff needs to get lower their noses a little bit instead of being stuffy!! I could go on and on.. but will refrain. We will be returning to Hilton Head and loved the island however, we will be looking to stay at another Marriott property not Barony Beach!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
10  Thank jrsyshoregrl
Reviewed July 6, 2012

They'll make me say more, but it is all in my title. Grounds are immaculate, activities are what you'd expect, the surf is lame but that's beyond even tehir control.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, only people who are too pampered and who expect too much.
4  Thank Orad O