“Thanksgiving at Barony Beach”

Marriott's Barony Beach Club
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Reviewed December 9, 2007

My wife and our three children (13, 10, and 7) recently spent a week at the Barony Beach and loved it! We had an ocean-front, fourth-floor suite (five story building), which provided spectacular sunrises, sunsets, and starry skies. We slept with the sliding doors open every night and loved the sounds of the waves.

The room was very large (app. 1300 square feet), and had just been refurbished with new carpet, furnishings, beds, etc. It was spectacular and clean, clean, clean!

If you go, rent bikes for the week, as it is tremendous fun to ride up and down the beach in the early morning, Also, the Barony had lots of programming for the kids, including movies by the pool at night on a giant screen TV. The exercise room was quite nice. (Joggers might not need the exercise room at all because the sand on the beach is compact, solid, and very easy for a long run.) Overall, the resort was almost perfect.

We have only two mild criticisms. First, the pools were not attended to on Thanksgiving and the following day. I would chalk it up to a shortage of staff on the holidays, and it was not a big deal. Note that only two pools are heated -- the indoor pool and the adjacent outdoor pool.

Second, folks who are interested in an ocean front view should consider where their building is in relation to the entire property, and specifically the Westin Hotel. The hotel fans are quite loud and for some (though not us) would be bothersome. Also, although the cleaning crew was very thorough and nice, we noted that our rooms usually weren't touched until 4 pm or later. Maybe this was due to Thanksgiving, and we didn't really care, but if you are expecting your room clean by early afternoon, then make certain the staff is aware of your expectation.

Thanksgiving Day found the beach full of families having a wonderful holiday -- it's easy to see why families come here year after year.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
10  Thank alaskadreaming

Reviewed November 27, 2007

After having a great experience at Monarch in 2006 our expectations were high going back to Hilton Head. After seeing the pictures of the resort on the resort page we expected it to be similar to Monarch.

I knew we were in trouble when they showed us a map of the layout of the resort and I saw two buildings out in the hinterlands and I knew we had just been baited and switched. Sure enough, our room assignment was for the garden buildings. My wife was ready to kill. I just wasn't sure if I would be the first to go or the second.

She voiced her displeasure and the girl at the front desk says "we put all of our exchanges in the garden buildings. The four main buildings with ocean views are for our owners."

These two garden buildings should have never been built. They don't even connect to the main buildings. They are actually across the street with lovely views of the Westin Hotel parking lot. In my opinion, it was a case of developer greed to build those two buildings.

They don't even have a guard shack like the entrance to the main buildings. Just a cross gate that won't read your room card half the time. It takes five or six tries to get the blasted gate to open.

Monarch and Grand Ocean are built in a horseshoe shape and even though not all of the buildings have ocean views, at least you feel like you're still at the same resort.

After touring Surf Watch, we discovered they do the same thing by putting their exchanges in their garden building the farthest from the beach. And I mean far from the beach. They have a shuttle to take you to the beach it's so far away.

Needless to say, I would not exchange with Barony or Surf Watch in the future.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank wasatchpowderdog
Reviewed November 14, 2007

My husband and I spent a week at the Barony in HHI from November 3-10 for our 25th anniversary and had a great time. It was the first time we traveled to Hilton Head and the Barony was the perfect place to stay. The rooms were beautiful & clean and the grounds were absolutely breathtaking! We stayed in the Garden Villas which is a short walk to the beach but it was so quiet and private and the surroundings were so beautiful that we didn't mind the walk. We couldn't have asked for a better week - the weather was 75 and sunny, no clouds or rain the entire week! We would HIGHLY recommend the Barony to anyone -- you can spend the entire day at the villa, on the grounds, at the indoor pool or the outdoor heated pool or spend the day doing some of the fun things the Barony plans for their guests (some are for free, some are at a minimal cost). Of course, the beach is only a hop, skip and jump away as well. By the way, the fitness room is impressive too! The staff was wonderul - very courteous and helpful and recommended some excellent places to eat for dinner. We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nerfie99
Reviewed November 2, 2007

We purchased a week at the Barony Beach Marriott on ebay. We'd never been to Hilton Head before, but based on the reviews here we decided to give it a try. The stay surpassed our expectations. My family of 4, with one teenager and one elementary school child, are acustomed to a 5 Star Resort, so we are very demanding. I must say that it was wonderful to have a flat with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a huge balcony, kitchen, washer/dryer, yet with a concierge, gift shop, and 3 pools, right on the beach. We asked for the garden villas, which are a walk to the beach (there's a shuttle too), but extremely private and most importantly,quiet. We never heard a sound from the adjoining rooms. There's a pool for every mood--sports, tiki part/yfamily atmosphere, and quiet. Hot tubs are everywhere. The rooms were cleaner than most 5-star hotels I've been in. Our room was updated with flat screen tvs, nice furniture, and great decor. Plenty of room.

The beach is wide, clean and safe. There are lifeguards on duty. Beach chairs are available for free--umbrellas are pricey, but in August were needed. Sports rentals are available for a small resort price. We found the pool bar food and drinks great. They are not cheap, but much cheaper than hotel resorts. The gift shop has Starbucks coffee and light food (sandwiches, salads, yogurt, etc.)

My children found plenty to do. There were always other children around. My teenage daughter had a great time. My elementary school son found daily kid activities at the pool. There's a small miniature golf hole too.

For dinner, you need to go off-site, unless you cook. We sampled all the best on the island and the concierge always had great recommendations. Grocery stores are nearby, but you need a car.

The kitchen had everything we needed--blender, pots and pans, etc.

If you have the means and the time, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank TikiBum
Reviewed October 24, 2007

My husband and I recently spent 4 days at the Barony. The resort was well located, our unit was very clean, spacious and well equipped. Great big and comfortable bed! The only down side was that our unit was in the Garden Villas, which is off the beach. There are a number of buildings in the main area, which are located on the beach.

The Barony's location on the island was fantastic, there are great running and biking trails throughout the area. For active people like my husband and I, we didn't mind the walk to the beach. The beach was clean and beautiful, we were there during a busy time, but felt like we were the only ones on the beach.

Very relaxing and enjoyable stay!

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank travsteph
Reviewed October 1, 2007

It It is not easy to give a resort a negative review but I feel justified with this experience. I had read several reviews on the resort prior to booking and knew that the garden villas were not for my family. I requested Ocean Villas on my trade via Interval International, and then called the hotel several months prior. DO NOT waste your time. As the manager explained upon arrival (cross country with two children and a rental car from hell) it would not happen because the Barony Beach Club owners and various others have priority over just "Marriott owners". To aggravated the situation the front desk staff wrote an incorrect villa number on our check-in information and our keys did not work because we were trying to get into someone else's villas. The villa we finally received (the housekeeping staff was so nice and gave my husband a ride in the cart back to the office) overlooked the housekeeping building and parking lot of the lovely Westin next door. The guest room (2nd bedroom) had one window that overlooked the outside hallway and was so dark my children called it the "Bat Cave." I will leave out the broken sprinkler in a room in our building that caused a big mess or the Jelly Fish sting I received the first 10 minutes in the water- I am glad it was me and not the children(beach is lovely). The good things- the Family Pool the day the "DJ" was there great time playing and laughing (only happened one day of our week there), the tour of Savannah (skip Mrs. Wiles if you eat healthy), The amazing wildlife preserve on Hilton Head and the kindness of southern people. The workers at the book rental at the Marriot so nice and bikes were great fun. On a final note the full service Marriott is not a 20 minute walk as I was told upon booking my sister there but a 15 minute drive. Much better to stay at the Westin which had great sandwiches and salads.

This is my second "negative" experience with Marriott and getting the worse room at the resort because I am not an owner. That is never stated during the sales pitch. This second experience ended our thought of a second week with Marriott, though there are many things we like about Marriott Vacation Club. Got a form letter form the Barony Beach Club manger but no one ever said “What can I do to make this better.”

Stayed: August 2007
13  Thank GingerWestHills
Reviewed September 16, 2007

This is our first time to Hilton Head Island and feel like we have finally traveled to a location we will definitely return. The Marriott Barony Beach was more than we expected. We were a little nervous about traveling here in September....but the weather has been absolutely perfect! The property and grounds are very well maintained and close to the beach. Guest Services was excellent upon check in and provided a lot of very useful information during our stay. We own at the Marriott in Desert Springs and will find it difficult to return there after being here. I almost regret writing such a great review so that we will have the opportunity to travel here again!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple