“I can see my husband again!!!”
Review of Hilton Head Health

Hilton Head Health
Syracuse,New York
“I can see my husband again!!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2008

My husband got back 2 weeks ago from Hilton Head Health. He has maintained the 14 pound weight loss and has lost an additional 6 pounds since being back. He stayed for 2 weeks, and after being on many different diets, I have watched his weight yo yo and usually end up going up every year. I am a health nut, and he is now lecturing ME on proper food intake!

We are middle class and I was truly getting worried about his health. When the last doctor mentioned "obesity" when speaking about him amongst the other health problems he had, we both felt if he wants to see our kids grow up, he needs to get this in check.We felt that desperate times call for desperate measures.

He felt the accomodations were very nice, no complaints. He also mentioned that alot of the people who stayed there were richer than rich. They had butlers and maids at home, so I wonder if those were the people who complained about the service and accomodations. My husband said the help there were very polite and helpful. He had one week to himself as there was no roommate yet. He preferred the room to himself, but was too cheap to pay the extra price for the room to himself. He also complained about the alligators. He went for many walks around South Carolina and had to keep an eye out for them at all times. When he came back home, he was unconsiously looking out for them, and still is when we go for walks.

His one complaint was that the class which explained how to make the various meals was cancelled due to the chef quitting. There were many people there complaining about this. I, too, felt this was a very important aspect of the whole experience. However, due to the fact that my husband does seem changed and has since continued to lose weight (however not at the same speed as when he was there) I still have to give this place 5 stars. I can see my husbands face again!!!

It cost us 5,500 dollars for the two week stay, not including the airline ticket. I felt that the whole experience was worth it. At 47, I know of too many people who have had heart attacks and have passed away at this age. My thoughts were, if he passes away, how would I have felt saying that money was too much to spend? To me it was life or death, and I pushed my husband out the door to choose life. He has thanked me every day for doing this.

• Liked — Losing weight
  • Disliked — No class for preparing meals, alligators
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Highonlife-1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
New York
Reviewed June 5, 2008

This was a great experience. There are those that will be sour to the experience...those looking for extensive spa services and pampering, those looking for 10 menu options at meal time versus the drive to create a healthy living structure, etc For those indiviudals I recommend you go to a prima donna spa that is about being seen and not truly about acquiring a healthy lifestyle - the Hilton Head Health Institute is not about spa services or induldging ego's, it is about getting on top of your health. H3I has the best educational programs I have ever expeienced. The program is about implementing sustainable healthy life styles -- and yes, this requires work. I recommend attending ALL of Bob's classes and doing the 5-mile beach loop every day. The food was wonderful. Founded by Dr. Miller, it is helpful to read Dr. Miller's "Hilton Head Diet" on the flight in - this will help you maiximize your stay. The present owner - John, is about getting serious on health. Interns do manage the physical fitness classes - a win/win. They earn the experience and the guests get a lift from their energy. There is construction of a nearby hoteling structure that will provide quality stay options (the current cottages are not owned by H3I and unfortunately this means they can not impose the high quality standards guests find on-site. ) If you are looking for a magic pill, this is not it. If you are looking for the keys to behavior modification that are sustainable visit H3I, do the classes, enjoy the food and tell Bob-the-nutrtion-guru-with-a-great-sense-of-humor "hello."

• Liked — great environment
  • Disliked — loved it all
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Virginia
Reviewed April 14, 2008

This was one of the best things I have ever done! I originally was booked for two weeks and ended up extending to 3 weeks. I was looking for a place where people were serious about working toward a healthy lifestyle through exercise and eating right and this was the right place! A wide variety of exercise classes for all levels of fitness, many helpful and informative lectures and the star of the show was the food. It was delicious, healthy and served beautifully so I really felt like I was being pampered. You definitely get what you put into the experience. I tended to spend the day with the people who were the most aggressive about exercising. The staff is great.....there is someone there for every personality and fitness level. There were people there from many countries that said they could not find a place like this in Europe or their home country. There is a mix of first time people along with people who have been several times just to check in and give themselves another boost. I met numerous people with major health issues and they did just fine.....all were feeling so much better at the end of their stay. I would recommend HHH to anyone. The have started renovations for onsite accomodations which will be very nice.....as well as a new pool! The only problem there is the price will go up.....but its worth it!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 4, 2008

I have just returned from a two week stay at the Hilton Head Health Institute, otherwise known as H3I. I can start by saying that my original reservation was for one week. I felt like I was doing so well and gaining so much momentum on my personal road to weight loss and health that I would benefit immensely from a second week there. I was right! I feel better than I have in years, I am exercising regularly and motivated to eat healthy and to be and stay fit!
Accomodations are reserved through private condo owners and were well appointed, excellently maintained and clean. H3I is also breaking ground on brand new accomodations that look to be top notch and will be on the the Institutes own property once completed.
My days started at 7am and ended at 8pm. They were filled with sunrise beach walks, healthy breakfast, lunch and dinners as well as in between snacks, extrememly informative lectures-about 3 per day and unlimited fitness options also about 3 per day.
I made friends from Scotland, New York, North Carolina, Denver, Florida and even Greece.
The staff-Bob, Adam, Jen, Justin, Tia, Amanda, Carolyn and William were highly encouraging and helpful. Everyone greets you by name and it was amazing how quickly I adapted to my environment and felt apart of the H3I family.
I would definately return again if needed.

• Liked — The Staff and Program
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank 40sTheNew20
Tucson
Reviewed January 24, 2008

After reading all the reviews I was tempted not to attend the Health Institute, but then I realized someone who is more concerned about food choices, facials and other "spa features" was not serious about losing weight and changing to a healthy lifestyle. So I decided to check it out for myself.
I could not have been more pleased! The food was amazing, the newly remodeled facility is beautiful and the staff is so much more than educated and caring. They helped change my life. Their "get serious" and "no nonsense" approach to weight loss works. I attended a specialty week, Next Level Fitness and WOW they know how to motivate you; not only to believe in myself and what my body can do, but how to workout and not quit. Between the lectures and the staff I learned how to go home and be successful. I now know how to make low calorie healthy food, without compromising taste. And most important I am able to continue to do just what it says, take my fitness to the "Next Level".

• Liked — The Weight Loss
  • Disliked — I loved everything
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank LorraineTucson
L.A.
Reviewed December 31, 2007

Hilton Head Health Institute is not a good value. It is very pricey and the place is unkempt, badly run and does not deliver it's promises. I suggest going to Canyon Ranch or the Cooper Clinic over this yucky place.

• Liked — washer
  • Disliked — the filth
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
20 Thank PattyS26
RSMoore, President & CEO at Hilton Head Health, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
I’m sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience during your visit in 2007. Since then, we have made several changes to our team, accommodations and facility, as well as our program and policies. We value our guests and strive to give them the best experience and customer service possible, which has led to more accommodating policies and a greater variety of fitness and spa offerings. I encourage you to visit us again and experience the new H3!
Virginia
Reviewed November 22, 2007

My experience at Hilton Head Health Institute was horrible. The villas are dirty and they stink. I felt dirty staying there. They are roaches whether you tell me they are palmetto bugs or not! There are no spa services. The staff is rude and uncaring. Classes are taught by coeds who are interning. I can not believe the thousands that I spent here! I will never go back to that glorified and dirty camp.Choose Canyon Ranch instead.

• Liked — Knowing it was only temporary.
  • Disliked — The roaches and mold.
  • Stayed August 2006
13 Thank eastcoastlady_7
I’m sorry to hear you had an unpleased experience. I can assure you that since 2007, we’ve undergone several accommodation upgrades, as we strive to ensure our villas match the excellence of our program. We’ve also made vast improvements on our facility and program, as well as our team members. Among constantly adding fun & exciting fitness offerings to the schedule, we now offer even more spa services to meet the desires of Guests going through our proven weekly program. I encourage you to visit us again and experience the new H3!