“Take a healthy break!!”
Review of Hilton Head Health

Hilton Head Health
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Just spent two weeks at Hilton Head Health and couldn't have asked for a better vacation. The place has changed dramatically over the years - all for the better. Better classes, better food, better facilities and the same great common sense approach to a healthy lifestyle. I met lots of nice people (as I have in the past) and got a great jump start on a plan for better health. The instructors - both in the exercise area and in the classroom lectures and food demonstration areas - are top rate. The staff is wonderful and made me feel very welcome. Also, the massage therapists and the facial technician were GREAT!

Room Tip: I know there are different locations of the condos used by HHHealth but I have always stayed in the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jane S

Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I went for 10 days of healthy eating, exercising and lectures. The food was great, the exercise classes and lectures were fun and informative. The only downside is the accommodations. H3 (as they are known) doesn't own but rent condos in the area. Our condo was adequate...a little over a mile from H3, furnished in rundown beach condo furniture and linens. The unit did have cable TV and wireless internet.

If you don't want to use your car you can rent bikes through H3 or bring your own.

Don't miss the sunrise beach walk...beautiful!

Room Tip: You can request a condo close to the main facility.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blue30350
Reviewed September 25, 2013

HHH is a health club for adults who want to become healthier, eat well, and understand what leads them off track. Not everyone who comes here is overweight, but many are. Staffed with a psychologist, a nutritionist and a brilliant health science expert (Bob Wright), it would be hard to come here and fail. There are many fitness instructors offering classes in everything from hard core cardio to yoga, Pilates, tobado, TRX, water aerobics, and oh so much more. One of my favorite classes was Drums Alive. Check out a video on YouTube.com. I never knew one could do so many different exercises in the pool. The food is good too! Just like everything else, you get out what you put in. Results vary. I was amazed at some of the dishes they served. (All meals, including three snacks, are included.). There are lectures as well as cooking demonstrations. There is a state of the art kitchen where Chef Carla prepares a wonderful four course meal on Thursdays for an additional charge. Chef Marvis comes in on Wednesdays to demonstrate low calorie cooking which you get to sample. (Her desserts are to die for.). You have to go for a minimum of three days although you would short change yourself in such a brief stay. We were there for two weeks and will probably go back in a year for a one week tune up. The price is steep. Ask about summer specials if you can get away then. We met people from all over the world as well as all over the U.S. People of all ages. We all had on thing in common: we wanted to live healthier.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Traveled with my husband so that we could work as a team and attack our unhealthy habits. What a wonderful experience. H3 teaches a balanced approach to health. Mind, body, spirit and social activities inspired us to lead a fuller, healthier life. The exercise classes, the food, the trainers and the staff were great. The lectures are eye-opening if you are ready. Our condo was comfortable and sufficient...not luxurious. We were so tired every night, it didn't seem to matter. Loved the fact we could do laundry - with all the working out - this was very helpful. Looking forward to going back. We are home 2 weeks and staying on track, implementing all we learned!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This place is awesome! The food is good, the people are friendly and the classes are all wonderful. Last year I was over weight and out of shape. I took everything I learned and applied it and now I am in the best shape of my life!!! If you are ready to take that step to health than this is the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I was at Hilton Head Health in early May of this year, and while I wanted to go back again, did not think that I would do so so soon. However, a friend was going, they had a special rate, and I dug deeply and found the money. It is an investment in myself and my health; better to spend for that than on things that don't matter every day, I guess...

So I went back. H3 had changed a bit and I had changed a lot. Since I had left there the first time, three months earlier, I had lost about 25-30 lbs by following the advice I had been given on the first trip. I would like to pretend that it was hard but have to confess that I must have been so ready for a lifestyle change that it was relatively easy to do. I still am no fan of exercise, but do it because I know that it makes sense.

It was a great stay this time too. It reinforced the many things I learned earlier; that taking off weight can be done, that keeping it off requires a lifestyle change, and that there are many triggers for avoiding good nutrition and exercise.

The guests were a fun bunch. Different from my first visit but equally nice. There had been some upgrades at H3, and I understand that more are on the way. The food was excellent, the cooking classes and demos delicious and eye-opening, and the classes and lectures were motivating. The staff works very hard to make the guests feel comfortable. There are no judgments made about size or ability, and any exercise or routine is seamlessly modified for varying abilities. The last time I went I did a lot of exercises requiring exertion because I was in the mood to test myself; this time I tried things like yoga and stretching and even more pool-based exercise. It was a different kind of challenge and added new exercise options to my routine.

I continue to lose weight thanks to the kick-start and refresher visit. I have been back from H3 for a few weeks, and I have now reduced my overall body weight by more than 20% since before my first visit. My BMI is now in the "normal" range for the first time in decades. I have lost many inches all over, have to give away an entire wardrobe (happily!) and try to keep the lessons I learned at H3 in my head as I face lots of food, personal and other challenges. It is not easy every day, but by making better nutrition and exercise part of my life (not something I was willing or thought that I was able to do pre-H3) it is much better.

I could go on about the amenities I enjoyed at H3 and the nice staff and good food, but the bottom line is that I went for very personal reasons and with the help of H3, have learned a lot about myself. I feel healthier, stronger, am off most meds, and am able to distinguish between wanting food and what I need/ought to eat. Most of the time, anyway. Life still has the odd slice of pizza and bit of ice cream, but things are controlled, a lesson learned at H3. I did not think it was possible for me at my size to have ever lost weight and actually enjoy a glimpse in the mirror. Now I feel more confident and less like my "defect" (weight) was all people saw when they first met me. That was my perception; it may not have been reality but that is how bad my self-esteem was. I felt older and sicker than I was. Not feeling that way is uplifting.

I am grateful to have been able to go to H3 and learn so much about myself and that I was not alone. It is a hard-working vacation, but worth it. I thank the staff (and other wonderful guests) for the help and support. I hope to be back again, next time just for a motivational tune up at my goal weight, where I hope to stay for the foreseeable future! I now think that this is not only possibly but probable. Thanks H3.

Room Tip: I asked for one nearby and with wifi. The one I received was a freshly renovated and very comfortabl...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank withkidstravel
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Over all - an amazing life changing experience! 14 days helped me rediscover myself. The exercise programs were a lot of fun yet challenging. The educational classes taught me skills to incorporate in to my daily life that keep me on course. Food - yummy! We took pictures of each meal and shared with family at home. Most importantly, the friends I met were so inspiring! We all had our unique challenges yet found something in common encouraging each other (even when we were soar and tired). The beach walks in the morning were priceless. I am now down 25 pounds and feel alive! --- Lady Bug ---

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo