“Hilton Head's Best Kept Secret”

Hampton Inn Hilton Head
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Hilton Head
Columbus, Ohio
“Hilton Head's Best Kept Secret”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Ideal for families and business travelers alike, this gem of a hotel never disappoints. The recently renovated rooms are especially attractive, and the guest service is always outstanding.
Conveniently located to beaches, golf, Main Street restaurants/shopping/entertainment, airport, and more, this property consistently meets all my needs. I've stayed at this property many, many times and would not choose any other hotel on the Island. To a person, the staff goes out of their way to provide truly exceptional service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jane D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
c
Reviewed July 19, 2012

In the past, we’ve stayed at various chain hotels. From motels that badly needed a coat of paint to 5-stars located at the center of everything, we’ve been to them all. We’re budget-minded travellers, but we are too lazy to plan ahead. As a result, we tend to scramble for last-minute deals, which sometimes do got us into less-than-ideal situations. Good thing is, we don’t usually come with a lot of expectations–a hotel is nothing but a makeshift home after all–so we seldom come away too disappointed.

We like to cook a little where we go–nothing fancy, just some hot food and veggie soups and such. So we love to stay at places that are equipped with in-room mini-fridges and microwaves. For some reason, most high-end hotels don’t provide these things. It’s as if people who are rich enough for 5-star treatment are too busy or too above it to cook–imagine Bill Gates drive by with a stock pot on the passenger seat. :-)

And I’ve never been to a Hilton that offers complimentary breakfast.

This is why we had a pleasant surprise when we checked into this Hampton Inn. Their breakfast line-up is amazing. It’s much better than continental, almost like buffet. Believe it or not, I had never had omelets before. While staying at this place, I tried my first omelet in my life, and 2 flavors (on two days) at that. You can sprinkle raisins and walnuts on hot oats, but I prefer to stir them in yogurt. Hot biscuits with sausage gravy are another of our favorites. For the health-conscious, they offer multi-grain bread and fresh fruits as part of their breakfast menu. Not a whole lot, but at least they’re included. And the best of all, it’s free.

I was glad to find that they actually use white quilts in the room. I can’t tell you how many hotels we stayed in the past were furnished with those neutral-colored quilts. Heaven knows if they’re washed at all. I always asked my kids to sit on the very edge of the bed or stand, if they can manage it. :-) At one hotel, I saw by chance how they made bed. First, they threw everything on the floor, and then they made it up piece by piece. At this Hampton Inn, they move everything to a table and then do it, which is the way I make bed at home. I never throw any clean linen to the floor. I don’t know about you, but this matters a lot for me.

Also, I like that they separate the toilet from the sink. So if someone is using the bathroom, others can still wash up. And it’s awkward to poop and cook at the same time in the same room. The smells don’t mix, you know. :-)

Let me wrap up by saying that I actually enjoyed my stay there.

3 Thank jia y
Reviewed July 18, 2012

If it was for the breakfast alone this hotel would get a 5 star review from me! This was by far the best breakfast we had at any hotel. It wasn't just your typical waffle and boiled eggs, they had omelettes, french toast, biscuit and gravy, bagel toppers, saussage, bacon etc... However, the rooms were dirty, saw 2 roaches and had to have housekeeping come reclean the room a couple of times,. They need to hire a Pest control ASAP and better train their housekeepers.

1 Thank vreeny
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This hotel is well situated on Hilton Head Island. It had a nice breakfast in a pleasant breakfast room. We did have a problem with the general condition of the hotel. The hall carpets were not as clean as the other Hampton Inns' where we have previously stayed. The toilet paper dispenser in our room was just BARELY hanging in the wall. I was very concerned that mice, rats or roaches could get into our room through the hole around the dispenser, so I stuffed the hole with a wash cloth. The fridge would not cool. The hotel needs a remodel.

Room Tip: There are only two floors. The elevator worked well.
1 Thank vjmsuma
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stay here for a couple of nights while on vacation with my family. As we walked in we got a wonderful feeling of being welcome. The rooms were super clean. There was WI FI in the rooms and a nice big bathroom which is nice when traveling with kids. Breakfast was good and healthy. And the location was wonderful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We arrived late on a Tuesday night to find that the refrigerators in both rooms non-op. this was a problem because we were traveling witha 2 month old child that was on breast milk. With no way to keep the extra milk cold we could run into a rough time. My wife called the front desk and the clerk Tasha answered the phone and basiclally told my wife tough - i took the phone from my wife and the clerk told me the same but she hung-up on me. I call the front desk back and she the rude clerk hung-upon me again.
I went to the front desk and asked her what her problem was and whe responded with the "ghetto" hand moves and the head bobble that I would only expect if I was on the street in New York. She "the clerk" told me that she could call the police and have me thrown out of the hotel. I'm a Dimond Hilton Member and have been for years, and never have I had the displeasure to have any Hilton property employee be this rude to a guest. She should be FIRED!!!!!!! and sent back to a minimum wage job where she doesn't deal with the public.

A Diamond Member and Hilton Vacation Property Owner.

7 Thank Jerry G
, Manager at Hampton Inn Hilton Head, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
The Hampton Inn on Hilton Head values your business and your input as a Hilton Diamond Member. I am disappointed that your stay with us was not up to your standards. I hope that this experience does not keep you from staying at a Hampton Inn again.
New Richmond, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This Hampton Inn was one of the best hotels we stayed at during our Carolina vacation. From the plush carpeting, wonderful pools, great breakfast, and a staff that is helpful and friendly. It makes the stay here wonderful and worth every penny. The location is perfect for Hilton Head, close to beaches and golf alike. We rented bikes and the hotel is right on the bike trail. It's a perfect location and having warm, friendly people always greeting you (maids, check in staff alike) it makes you feel like home.

Being from the midwest my family was very impressed with the friendliness of the South. Everyone greeted us no matter where we were. People were always willing to share conversations, say hello, or ask how may they might help. I wish the midwest people would take a lesson from the South! Thanks hampton Inn.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family